Does anyone do exercise solely at home and if so, what routines, equipment do you use?

(37 Posts)
bryte Fri 24-Jan-14 13:51:51

Gyms/sports clubs never seem to have a timetable of classes which matches the times I could or would ideally attend. I have a cupboard full of equipment I have bought over the years which I could be putting to good use. These include a medicine ball, a stretchy resistance type thing, small weights, a skipping rope and a small fitness trampoline.

I'd like to make exercise at home a habit by doing a small amount each day, say 15-20 minutes. I could do something different each day or focus on different areas each day, but I don't know where to start in putting together a routine. Can anyone point me to recommended resources? I've obviously googled and looked on pinterest, but the amount of returned results is overwhelming. I would particularly like to know how to break up the different areas of cardio/resistance training/toning/stretching.

The only other exercise I regularly do is walk our dog about 3 or 4 times per week, where I will go for a 40 minute brisk walk (DH and dog walker do all the other walks)

Can anyone help? I just want to get started.

babyinacorner Fri 24-Jan-14 14:03:42

Try fitness blender workouts on you tube - they are great and you don't need equipment for most of them-just a mat. Some of them you just need dumbells.

Alternatively you can't beat the shred dvd by jillian michaels for great results (this is also on you tube) there are 3 different levels and each level takes approx. 25mins all in. each workout is made up of strength training, cardio and abs.

ZingSweetApple Fri 24-Jan-14 17:03:11

I did 30 day Shred for a short time (then discovered I was pg!)

DVD, sets of weights, excercise mat, sports bra, good trainers.

loved it!

And there's a shredding thread every month. good crowd

Sparklysilversequins Fri 24-Jan-14 17:14:25

50 minute 5 x a week on the cross trainer followed by 200 crunches. Some days I will fit in a couple of 7 minute work outs too.

I used to run 50km + a week but developer asthma and running outside triggers flare ups. So no more running sad.

bryte Fri 24-Jan-14 17:17:55

Thanks for these.... keep them coming. I'm interested to know what others do.

I have a mat from doing pilates/body balance in the past.

Ladyofthehouse Fri 24-Jan-14 17:18:55

If you have a wii then My Fitness Coach is really good for something different each time. I also love Jillian michaels workouts and the 10 minute solutions DVDs.....can get some really cheap on amazon. Used to go running loads but since having 2 toddlers can't get out so much.....but have found I can still go out and run every now and then at same speed and distance so my fitness levels seem to have stayed the same

Laetissimus Fri 24-Jan-14 17:29:40

Treadmill at home
Just started Nhs Couch 2 5K
Half hour 3 times a week - just completed first week

notyummy Fri 24-Jan-14 18:26:06

I have about 15 exercise DVDs collected over the past 8/9 years. I also have a cross trainer (a fairly expensive one bought for me by DH.) I have a range of weights from 1.5 kg up to 7kgs and a roll out matt similar to you would get in a gym. I am as fit now as I have ever been. A range of weights means as a routine starts to get easy you can up the weights slightly and keep challenging yourself. My next purchase is a home TRX kit that you hang off a door frame and can do all sorts of stuff with.

notyummy Fri 24-Jan-14 18:28:22

Oh - and on DVDs I really rate Jillian Michaels. Have loads of hers. Also Billy Blanks. And Bob Harper if you are really up for a challenge. Insanity and Px90 are the big daddy of the home exercise world- not for the faint hearted ;-). Have done Insanity and it is hard.

RudyMentary Fri 24-Jan-14 18:29:07

I run
I cycle
Shred occasionally
Press ups and plank daily

CynicalandSmug Tue 28-Jan-14 13:02:16

I run regularly, have done and frequently do Insanity, Rushfit, P90X, T25, Yoga, various Jillian Michaels dvds. Currently working my way through the brilliant P90X3. I have various dumbbells, kettle bells, resistance bands and a pull up bar. Who needs a gym??!?

Lizzylou Tue 28-Jan-14 13:07:20

I am a member of a gym, but I will have to rely on home workouts from September if all goes to plan.
I have loads of DVDs, dumbbells, resistance bands and a kettlebell. We have just invested in a spin bike and have spinning dvd, youtube bike rides (you can cycle round Melbourne whilst really in Lancashire, it's great grin ). I have also got my running mojo back and have been running 3x a week.
The more you do, the more you want to do. And variety is the key.

LentilHearted Tue 28-Jan-14 19:55:58

I bike, walk the dog and callanetics, all of which are free and good stuff smile

LentilHearted Tue 28-Jan-14 19:57:23

...and collect firewood and saw it up, I'd go yoga classes but I can't afford them anymore hence the callanetics, very 80's but so good

ThursdayLast Tue 28-Jan-14 22:35:26

I will second fitness blender, and add the 10min solution DVDs. I use the Pilates based ones, one of which uses the resistance band.
I run, and use Adidas micoach to track/log my progress

RudyMentary Tue 28-Jan-14 22:46:54

I love exercising at home and don't feel the need to pay out to join a gym - and I can see one from my house it's that near grin

Jacksterbear Wed 05-Feb-14 13:40:36

I have lots of exercise DVDs. No equipment other than hand weights and mat. Workout 3-5 times pw depending on time.

Favourite DVDs are Jillian Michaels (I have many, but 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30 would be a good place to start), Tae Bo (martial arts style exercise DVDs by Billy Blanks), and Focus T25 (series of 25 min workouts by Shaun T, he of "Insanity" fame).

Jacksterbear Wed 05-Feb-14 13:43:14

Oh I forgot - we also have an exercise bike, which I go through phases of using (DH uses it a lot).

atthestrokeoftwelve Thu 06-Feb-14 21:03:32

For those of you doing home exercise- how long have you been doing it?

I have to go to the gym to have any discipline to work hard.
I have however known several friends who have started home exercise and abandoned it in a short time.

I have been a regular gym user for most of my adult life.

Are there any of you who have been home exercising for a good length of time- years maybe? I know I couldn't do it.

Jacksterbear Thu 06-Feb-14 21:13:50

Nearly 7 yrs! (Since post-DC1)

Sheldonswhiteboard Thu 06-Feb-14 21:23:25

definitely prefer to exercise at home, as can't find the enthusiasm to haul myself to the gym, particularly during the winter. Shower is much nicer at home as well!

Have a mixture of DVD's - you can get a idea of which you'd like by having a look on YouTube before you buy. I do like Jillian Michaels, you don't need much room for most of her's, just enough space to lie down. If you haven't done much exercise Davina McCall does some good ones - Superbody is good.

Also have a gym standard exercise bike so use that a couple of times a week.

Twinkletron Thu 06-Feb-14 21:31:41

I have a rebok step from the 90's and do step aerobic videos from YouTube

TheRaniOfYawn Fri 07-Feb-14 10:11:17

I run three times a week and do bodyweight exercises (squats, lunges, press ups, planks, crawling and sometimes a few other core exercises and stretches) on the other three days with Sundays off.

No equipment needed, although for the running I do like to use Zombies Run and for the strength training I got into my routine using Arnies 1% challenge and convict conditioning.

Showy Fri 07-Feb-14 10:20:15

I've been exercising at home for 7 years. I do have quite a few DVDs, some really worn out. I like Davina, Jillian Michaels, Insanity and a few high intensity interval training dvds (such as tabata). I have a lot of free weights and do resistance training 3x a week. Most stuff I do is high intensity interval training and I also run a few times a week. I have a pull up bar, press up bars, exercise ball and a mat.

I walk and cycle most places too which helps. DH used to be a personal trainer which is probably a bonus!

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Fri 07-Feb-14 10:27:49

I've exercised at home all my life. What can I say, I'm shy. grin

I used to use DVDs and still do occasionally, the shred, Davinna, Nell McAndrew, Yogalates but now I've switched to Fitness Blender.

I plan 5 workouts a week and rotate around the body with a large helping of cardio. At the weekends I do yoga to keep flexible. I'm 42 now and have maintained my weight and shape purely through at home exercise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now