Do you exercise every day? Is it easy to stick to?

(36 Posts)
risingsunshine Sun 05-Jan-14 06:28:33

I'm a couple of stones overweight and have a 5k run coming up. shock

I'm thinking about getting up early (5.45am!!) and doing c25k 3 times a week and 30DS on the other days. Maybe with Sunday off.

Does this sound doable?!?

risingsunshine Sun 05-Jan-14 15:05:53

When do you fit it in, falcon?

I do hard exercise about four times a week at the moment- Saturday and Sunday evenings, plus two mid-afternoon sessions during the week when I'm working split shifts.

The other days I do yoga in the kitchen before work at 6:30am. I don't do it as strenuously as I ought and have fallen back to sleep on the floor once or twice. blush

Rising you've had good advice already ....

I'd add to that with - what shoes have you got... If not runners, go get some from a proper running shop...

Stick with running alternate days, stretches every day, yoga or strength work maybe twice a week, and also look at nutrition as the other thing to work on.... If you drink, cut down, eat healthily rather than diet, drink plenty

And the final one... Make sure you get enough good sleep ....

The 5k is doable but you'll need to accelerate the programme to 4 runs a week or every other day....

ArgyMargy Sun 05-Jan-14 15:40:29

Yes hamster is right it is very very important to get proper running trainers. I made that mistake and paid the price - nearly put me off running completely. Go to a proper shop and spend as much as you can afford.

coffeeslave Sun 05-Jan-14 15:41:42

A BMI of 26.3 isn't huge! My BMI is over 29 and I compete nationally in powerlifting :-) (And no, that weight is not all muscle!!)

Chopstheduck Sun 05-Jan-14 15:51:14

Just checked back and wanted to add that I did the 5k in 5 or 6 weeks, starting 4 stones heavier than I am now. So please don't be discouraged. It is def doable in 7 weeks. I could barely run the 60 seconds to start with, but I found it so addictive and just started running for longer in the last run and built it up. I'm still technically overweight now but I can run 10 miles and have a resting heart rate of 55bpm.

Chopstheduck Sun 05-Jan-14 15:52:20

Oh and as well as trainers, a pair of running socks is an idea too, I got some horrendous blisters from wearing thick cotton socks which made me sweat.

risingsunshine Sun 05-Jan-14 22:13:32

With regard to trainers and kit, as my mum would say, I have all the gear but no idea!! wink

phdlife Sun 05-Jan-14 22:28:05

I hate exercise. Like OP I'm starting from scratch, 15kg overweight. Bought a rower. Doing some calisthenics and rowing, 2x a day but started with 3 reps/mins, then 4, etc. Slowly, slowly. 9 days, then missed a week over Christmas. Started again, then this sodding heatwave hit - temp is well over 30C and humidity over 80% - just sitting around doing lego with ds last night sweat dripping under my breasts, running down temples, buttcrack. Am disappointed in myself but this kind of weather totally saps my energy - cannot motivate myself knowing I'll still be hot even after a dip in the pool. Hoping for a storm this arv to cool things down.

risingsunshine Sun 05-Jan-14 23:11:47

Wow, where are you phd? I don't blame you feeling sapped, humidity is a killer for me too!

Well, I have made a plan, DH goes to the gym at his work, after work on M, W, F so I am going to give up my precious peaceful time then and do the c25k! Then fit in the stretching and exercises sleepwhenidie suggested, and just see how I get on. Still panicking really. It'll teach me not to sign up for any more bloody runs!!

Don't panic rising, it's good to have a goal, you can get there in 7 weeks - take it steady and remember it doesn't matter how fast you go, you'll still be lapping everyone still sat on their sofas talking about running rather than doing it grin! Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now