Is there a general running thread?

(984 Posts)
Sirzy Thu 26-Dec-13 18:57:58

I am pretty new to running (started in Septmember) but have some pretty ambitious targets in 2014 (10k and half marathon) so looking for other runners to advice, kick up the backside and generally chat about all things running.

I have seen a few couch to 5k threads but I didn't get on with that so can't use those threads so thought a thread for all runners whether they are new to it or experienced runners would be good?

Sirzy Fri 27-Dec-13 08:21:43

Sassy I have water too really dehydrated after the last few days of eating and drinking! I have done half an hour on the wii fit but its not the same as getting out running.

Thanks tired I will have a look at that.

RubyLovesShopping Fri 27-Dec-13 08:22:26

Sirzy I've just decided to give it a miss this morning too. I will be doing the 10k in May and vaguely considering a half marathon next year too. At the moment I'm trying to run 3-4 times a week, 4 miles mostly with one 6 mile (10k) a week. Which half marathon are you doing next year?

Sirzy Fri 27-Dec-13 08:29:44

The English Half Marathon in Warrington next Septmember.

Tempted to sign up for another 10k in March too, and want to find a 5k before then if I can just to get me into the swing of things!

Flossiechops Fri 27-Dec-13 08:30:08

I'll Join you. Been running for quite a few yrs mainly to try and keep my weight down! Went from nothing to a few 10ks and half marathon in the same yr. Did the Birmingham half this October and knocked 20 mins off my best time but had put quite a few 10-12 mile runs in previously. I did join a running club at first but I much prefer running alone with my iPod on. smile

Tiredemma Fri 27-Dec-13 08:59:00

do you run in S park flossiechops?

RubyLovesShopping Fri 27-Dec-13 09:03:40

Flossie I prefer running alone too, can't wait for lighter mornings and evenings again. Been looking at half marathons this morning inspired by this thread- thinking of doing one in May, gives me 5 months to train, never gone further than 10k before and it's twice as far!

Flossiechops Fri 27-Dec-13 10:14:48

Tiredemma yes I certainly do! Sometimes just the roads around but if I do a longer one then I go into the park. Definitely signing up for the fun run this yr as I missed it last yr smile

ShrekTheHalls Fri 27-Dec-13 10:20:41

can I join you? I've already accidentally ambushed the mn10k thread blush

Sirzy Fri 27-Dec-13 10:22:48

Flossie - I prefer running alone, means I'm not slowing anyone else down!

Hi Shrek!

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Fri 27-Dec-13 12:57:48

Shrek, you are allowed to be on both grin

RubyLovesShopping Fri 27-Dec-13 13:12:10

Sirzy there's a 10k in tatton park in march I think.

Tiredemma Fri 27-Dec-13 13:58:41

flossie im on holiday for Fun Run this year but have signed up for Lichfield HM and the BHam HM also. Will also do some 10ks in the park no doubt through rest of the months

Sirzy Fri 27-Dec-13 14:16:17

Thanks Ruby will have a look.

louwn Fri 27-Dec-13 17:40:11

Sirzy, I went from only being able to run a couple of minutes at a time to a half marathon in about 10 months. Well actually before the 1st one I'd only done 9 miles but I ran the whole distance. I'm training for a marathon at the moment and picking up running after a 4 month break was loads easier - I just went out and ran 4 miles without stopping. Your body remembers somehow.

Flossiechops Fri 27-Dec-13 18:36:48

tiredemma I may a loo at the Lichfield half. The Birmingham one was absolutely awful for me. I did 2 miles at 7.5 minute miles and peaked, I was over dressed as it was a mild day and was so hot. I also had a job interview on the Monday and was shitting myself - I was like a zombie running round (I got the job!). I really hated the entire run and never found my stride. I find it very hard to get out in the winter months but have been trying to keep it up but only doing 3-4 miles. I need to step it up once the dc are back in school but I'm starting my new job in January so it will be hard as I'm a morning runner. Oh well less moaning and more running, dh bought me some new kit for Xmas so that may help...!

Sirzy Fri 27-Dec-13 18:50:00

I hope my body remembers what to do when I go tomorrow!

A friend wants to go out for a run with me soon but he is so much faster than me I am worried about slowing him down

Flossiechops Fri 27-Dec-13 20:34:18

Sirzy that's why I go alone. Dh is a good runner but far too fast for me - I hate being put under pressure.

RubyLovesShopping Fri 27-Dec-13 20:43:08

I run with two friends as well as alone. I much prefer alone but one of the friends is faster and fitter and it helps me keep going. The other friend is slower and sometimes we walk for a minute or two, it's more sociable but running wise I don't get much out of it.

DulcetMoans Ecuador Fri 27-Dec-13 22:57:52

My running buddy went off to have a baby in Oct so been a bit of a lonely runner lately. I do like the headphones in approach but looking forward to her coming back. Helps me to keep going if there's two of us fighting through it!

First run in two weeks tomorrow. Hopefully the rain can hold off.

karatekimmi Sat 28-Dec-13 16:03:53

Hi can I join too, my name is kimmi and I'm a parkrunner!

I try to get out at least twice a week, but at least I manage my parkrun a week which is better than nothing!! I'll catch up and post again when I'm on my laptop, I hate posting on my stupid iPhone!

Sirzy Sun 29-Dec-13 09:14:00

I would love a park run locally. I think the nearest is about half an hours drive which isn't really practical

Mitchy1nge Sun 29-Dec-13 09:43:25

I really really want to do parkrun, printed my barcodes off AGES ago (mine are both half an hour away in opposite directions) but there is always the competing interest of a group Long Run on Saturday mornings which is more beneficial to me at the moment - after the marathon I think I will

(I do find 5k much more tiring than 25k though, I suppose it's because you go flat out all the way round?)

Sirzy Sun 29-Dec-13 12:43:52

First run in 3 weeks done. Just over 2km in 19 mins so quite slow but at least I'm back at it now. Hopefully out again in the morning

Mitchy1nge Sun 29-Dec-13 13:04:21

well done smile is it nice and sunny where you are? it makes such a difference to me

Sirzy Sun 29-Dec-13 13:12:42

Ye weather was pretty much perfect for running today. Bit cold at first but quickly warmed up.

Was meant to be out first thing with a friend but he slept in so I went on my own rather than making excuses to stay in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now