Is there a general running thread?

(984 Posts)
Sirzy Thu 26-Dec-13 18:57:58

I am pretty new to running (started in Septmember) but have some pretty ambitious targets in 2014 (10k and half marathon) so looking for other runners to advice, kick up the backside and generally chat about all things running.

I have seen a few couch to 5k threads but I didn't get on with that so can't use those threads so thought a thread for all runners whether they are new to it or experienced runners would be good?

ThursdayLast Tue 21-Jan-14 13:06:35

Oh yes, dragging yourself through the period pain gloom would be worth it...but it really is difficult. I don't envy you.
I'm glad I went out when I did, the weather has only got worse here blaaaaah

Snowdown Tue 21-Jan-14 13:44:12

Bootcamp this morning, man it was cold...came home half frozen, melted in the shower and fired on some leggings and a big woolly jumper and make myself a massive steak with a salad and felt much better. 7km run tomorrow.

Merrybuddha Tue 21-Jan-14 17:35:53

The sun came out this afternoon but unfortunately my 3 miles felt as I was working through mud. My leg were on go slow and nothing was going to get them shifting any faster, so just took it steady.

Sirzy Tue 21-Jan-14 17:46:33

I was going to run this morning but decided against it due to a case of DOMS. Back out tomorrow though.

ElvisJesusAndCocaCola Tue 21-Jan-14 19:32:48

It was a dreadful morning, wasn't it? I went running yesterday - 9 miles, 9 min miles - and this morning - 5.5 mile threshold run. Went well, but I was worried about visibility and falling over, as I went early. I only slipped over walking to my front door after finishing yesterday blush

Snowdown Wed 22-Jan-14 10:41:03

Brilliant run this morning - 7.5km and at a good pace too. Rest day tomorrow. Hope you all manage to put the dreary weather out of your mind because once you're out there, it feels great!

ElvisJesusAndCocaCola Wed 22-Jan-14 12:42:25

Well done. Snowdown. Are you more of a morning runner? I much prefer it, but due to child pickup arrangements, often have to run after work, when it is cold and getting dark and I am already tired sad

Snowdown Wed 22-Jan-14 12:52:55

Absolutely a morning runner - can't muster the motivation to run after lunch. As I've got older my energy levels are higher in the morning and completely non existent after 9.00pm.

Apparently your body gets used to the timing of exercise, so you can train your body to be ready for an afternoon/evening session, it's tough though.

Fishandjam Wed 22-Jan-14 23:18:53

Another sub-40 min 5k in the kitty for me today. Maybe it wasn't a fluke after all! And then lovely Pilates this evening to iron out the stiffness. Bootcamp tomorrow; must remember Tena blush

EATmum Wed 22-Jan-14 23:43:11

I tend to prefer afternoon or evening runs. Not in terms of anticipation, but they make me feel positive. And I like running at kind of dusk time when I don't feel so noticeable! blush

ElvisJesusAndCocaCola Thu 23-Jan-14 06:58:26

I just wish I could fit in more morning runs.

Fish - I have done 30ds twice since buying it and have had to promise myself I'll do a month of kegels before attempting again. It was most unpleasant blush

Planning to run a threshold run tonight, but won't be able to get out until 5, then need to drive 35 mins home and get there before bedtime. Too much of a rush sad bring on lighter mornings and evenings.

Fishandjam Thu 23-Jan-14 12:49:43

It's a sod isn't it elvis! I'm fine 90% of the time but the high knee running on the spot that we have to do at bootcamp just kills my waterworks.

Argh, did some piriformis exercises at Pilates last night (imagine lying on the floor on your side, knees bent and together, feet together at the ankle, then lift upper knee while keeping ankles together) and my bum muscles are still aching.

Re time of day running, I just go when I can. I dislike after-dark running just because it limits where I can go, and circuits round my village get a bit boring after the first couple. So yes, bring on the lighter evenings!

ThursdayLast Thu 23-Jan-14 16:53:00

Fish, at my pilates that's just called the clam!
In fact, that's where I'm off in a mo, no running for me today. My day has flown by in a flurry of monkey music and wedding planning smile

EauRouge Thu 23-Jan-14 18:04:48

Those high knees in the 30DS are blimming awful, I had to stop halfway through this morning because my mooncup was falling out. I've never had a problem with it when I'm running.

I'm also looking forward to lighter evenings; nice, long, post-dinner runs when the DDs are safely tucked up in bed and DH can lounge on the sofa watching some gory US drama that I don't like.

ElvisJesusAndCocaCola Thu 23-Jan-14 20:26:06

Eau, I thought pissing myself was as bad as it could get shock

Meant to but couldn't sleep last night - prob due yo two and a half huuuuuuge bowls of bean gaskets at 9pm last night, and another two for breakfast shock farting all day blush - did I mention I'm a teacher? Not a good look.

And now I'm not speaking to DH, as he fed the kids the pizza I told him I was saving especially for tomorrow when dd1 has a friend round. And I feel a little bad cos I could smell the surprise birthday cake they'd been cooking for me when I got home sad as long as we're friends by Sunday (birthday) I guess it'll be ok sad

So too tired sync under pressure at work to run - I won't bore sun one ith the work stuff.

I hope everyone had a good day. I'm also looking forward to evening runs.

ElvisJesusAndCocaCola Thu 23-Jan-14 20:26:41

Meant to run, that should say, ffs!

ElvisJesusAndCocaCola Thu 23-Jan-14 20:27:42

And wtaf are bean gaskets???!!! Bran flakes. I think I might just go to bed.

ThursdayLast Thu 23-Jan-14 22:08:56

Oh Elvis, put today to bed and start again tomorrow thanks
And oooooh exciting, birthday plans!

ElvisJesusAndCocaCola Fri 24-Jan-14 07:33:34

Thanks. Bad day yesterday!

EATmum Fri 24-Jan-14 20:51:47

Did six miles today but faster than my norm so pleased with that. Can't deny though that I'm counting the seconds down till I stop. Any good tips to deal with the tedium - or is it just my mind that's run out of interesting thoughts?? I listen to audio books, podcasts sometimes - but it all just takes so much time now. Sorry, whinge over.

ThursdayLast Fri 24-Jan-14 20:58:16

My run felt most fun last week when I started at my parents house rather than home. I just forged a route along back roads with my vague memory of the area and it was great!
I think when you frequently run the same routes you are subconsciously ticking off landmarks and tgat makes it feel slow.
Could you drive a little way and start somewhere different?
I rely on podcasts smile

EATmum Fri 24-Jan-14 23:35:17

Think you're right - last few times out I've run around the same park - which is a helpful 3 mile lap and beautiful. But I think it adds to the sense of not getting anywhere IYKWIM. I'll try a different route for my long run on Sunday, see where I get to. Thank you!

MerryBuddha Sat 25-Jan-14 07:01:18

Been full of cold and very busy since Tuesday, hence no running which is really not a good thing in my training plan.

Plan is -even though I still have a cold-- to walk 2 miles, run 2 miles and fast walk 2 miles today and tomorrow run 6.

Snowdown Sat 25-Jan-14 07:19:00

eat the tedium you're feeling is one of the reasons why I don't enter races, it all becomes about speed and distance and the pleasure of running tends to suffer, I often spend months with monitoring my running speed , distance etc, just running as far as as fast as I feel like I want to go on the day, the move away from a structure imposed by a training plan helps me feel the joy more. Adding a few new tunes to my playlist helps, running on a sunny day, running with a friend.
Maybe try reducing your milage temporarily, give your legs a rest for a few days - when your legs are fresh you get a real boost...I love the first run after I've been off for a week with an illness...my legs feel so strong, it's a real buzz.

chocolatespiders Sat 25-Jan-14 07:57:22

Morning all I am on week 8 of couch to 5k having never run in my adult life I am 38.. Next Saturday morning my running group are doing the 5k park run and I am terrified. Gave just been out and managed to do 2.38k.. I really find it easier to run with my group than on my own (easier to give up on your own)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now