Couch to triathlon in 10 months - HELLLLP!!!!

(5 Posts)
PhoebeMcPeePee Sun 10-Nov-13 18:36:49

I have just entered (along with DS age 8) into a triathlon next September but do literally NO exercise at all - where do I start & is this complete madness?

DS is a keen runner/cyclist already & having been to watch my BIL doing one a few years back he's been waiting for his chance all this time so I know he'll commit to it & I really want to support him (plus need a kick up the backside to get back into proper regular exercise.)

So, a not insignificant sum of money has been paid & there's no backing out now but where on earth do I start?! Probably should add I am a good 3 stone overweight with a BMI of 35 shock. I'm thinking a weekly swim + couch to 5k just to get a basic level of fitness before the New Year then possibly booking some swimming lessons as this is definitely my weakest area (well everything's weak ATM but historically I could run/cycle ok grin)
Anyone?

pootlebug Mon 11-Nov-13 11:23:00

I am just considering booking triathlon(s?) for next year too.

I have done some super sprint ones before - but years ago (umm, 11 years ago to be precise). I did a front crawl swimming course recently which totally revolutionised my swimming, my youngest started sleeping much better so I have the energy to train, and I'm really excited by the idea.

Just trying to decide whether to book on to do Olympic distance late in the summer or play it safe with sprint distance. But I feel I want something to aim for iyswim.

I agree Couch to 5k and a couple of swims a week or something seems like a good start. I think I'd try to get on the bike too. What distance have you entered for?

Sorry there wasn't much advice there but I'm just trying to suss it all out myself.

PhoebeMcPeePee Mon 11-Nov-13 12:59:25

I'm ambitious but not totally unrealistic considering my current shape so went for a sprint (400m/20km/4km). Tbh I would have gone for the sprint plus which is double those distances except my swimming really isn't strong enough. DH has promised to get me a block of 6 private swimming lessons for my birthday early Feb & I've got some work to do to even get that far as a leisurely breaststroke is my current mode blush.

I'm aiming for run Monday, Thursday & Friday, swim on Wednesday and cycle Saturday or Sunday with rest day on the other. It'll probably be 30-40mins sessions max ATM as I'm seriously unfit blush.

If you've done a sprint before & are a confident swimmer I'd say go got the longer distance especially if you need a bigger push to train. Have you got a venue in mind?

pootlebug Mon 11-Nov-13 13:08:06

I live in London so liking the look of some of the events at Windsor, or the London triathlon. Basically want all tarmac but car-free road cycling and a fairly flat course! Thinking about a sprint distance earlier in the season and Olympic later on in the season.

I would totally totally recommend the one day 'Front Crawl with Steven' workshop with Steven Shaw. He was an amazing teacher (with some other very able support teachers on the day too) and that one day course took me from being someone who could barely swim a single length of front crawl before stopping exhausted to someone who can easily swim over 1000m of crawl and then get out of the pool and go for a run. And I only did the course 3 weeks ago. It really has totally revolutionised my swimming. Before that I was of the leisurely-and-unstylish-breaststroke kind of a swimmer. www.artofswimming.com for details. He is very focussed on minimum energy for maximum forward momentum, which is particularly useful for triathlon, where you've got a lot more to do post-swim, I'd have thought.

kaizen Mon 11-Nov-13 14:05:27

i started doing triathlon last season and ended with an Olympic distance one in August - my tips would be to focus on running when you get off the bike - so when your fitness improves overall, concentrate on running a mile or so after a bike ride to get used to the 'dead leg' feeling. I would also second pootlebug's comments on swimming - use the one she recommends, or look at 'Total Immersion' freestyle technique on You tube, or look for an instructor, as this will also revolutionise your swimming, with minimum effort.
For now though i would just focus on building your fitness in all the disciplines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now