Goretex or waterproof running jacket

(10 Posts)
manyhands Sun 10-Nov-13 07:42:55

I want to stay dry whilst training for a half marathon over winter. I've bought a new balance one that isn't entirely waterproof and I feel like a pack of boil in the bag rice. So with a budget of up to £150 I'm looking for a waterproof breatheable coat. I know it's a lot of money but someone has very kindly offered to get it for me as a present and my only extravagance.

Mitchy1nge Mon 11-Nov-13 14:20:47

am lurking because also running long distances and want same thing, we will be lucky to find it for under £200 ish though hmm

kaizen Fri 15-Nov-13 07:02:06

Sorry this is a bit late- this months Trail Running mag mentions the Marmot essence jacket - -£150 - gets good reviews for the price.

I use an Original Mountain Marathon smock- they have loads of different race smocks for all conditions. Mine is the black with orange half zip- it's incredible light weight and non sweaty and I wear it for walking to work too and had lots of compliments about it. Fits in a pack easily too. I Think it was about £150 but you can shop around for them online.

Hope that helps grin

Bumply Fri 15-Nov-13 07:14:07

I have a karrimor one bought from sports direct that cost a lot less than that and works well. I get damp on the inside from me sweating but it does circulate the air so I don't get the boil in a bag feeling.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Fri 15-Nov-13 07:31:48

I have a Ronhill lightweight waterproof jacket I wear when it's cold and wet. It wasn't much more than£50 from what I recall and does the job.

It's extremely lightweight and comes with integral pocket and strap so you can strap it around you middle when it's not needed.

I honestly don't use it much though, mostly I am happy to get wet. It's only when it drops below about 8c and is very wet that I would use it.

I do get very sweaty when wearing it, I think they all do that but it's not an issue.

manyhands Sat 16-Nov-13 18:42:20

I bought a Mountaine jacket in the Sweatshop sale down from £140 to £52, very happy, not run in it yet though

Clure Sun 17-Nov-13 19:10:38

Having read around a lot, in the hunt for one last winter when I was marathon training (a miserable wet winter!!) I used my cheapy ronhill one which wasn't waterproof only showerproof. My hubby who is king of "kit" advocates Gore but their waterproof jackets cost nearly £200. I am sure there are waterproof jackets for less out there!

kaizen Sun 17-Nov-13 19:21:05

There are lots of waterproof jackets but the pricey ones are breathable too, which don't give you the wet , condensation filled inside that others do when you sweat. I had a cheaper walking 'smock' thing that used to get wet and cold on inside even when it wasn't raining and it was yuck. Having said that I would normally just get wet when running, chuck all my gear in the washer and get in a bath quick when I get home.

principalitygirl Tue 19-Nov-13 15:00:01

lidl and aldi do good quality running gear from time to time. aldi has some in at the moment including jackets. also if you're close to a decathlon store they're also great for this kind of thing.

principalitygirl Tue 19-Nov-13 15:09:29

my husband and I are seasoned runners up to marathon distance and hasn't needed to spend anywhere close to that amount on anything other than decent trainers or a Garmin. buy a cheaper but still good jacket and put the money you save towards a fab sports massage? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now