fitness or bootcamp holidays - how it it go for you?

(24 Posts)
kelpeed Tue 29-Oct-13 14:27:28

Like the title says. if you have been to one did you find it a rip off? did they cater for either very young or very mature people?

what did you do with your children - did they have to stay off resort or could they stay but do their own activities?

<want to get my fitness back emoticon>

kelpeed Tue 29-Oct-13 14:40:07

goodness, my post sounds a bit bossy - i'd love to hear your experiences.

CooEeeEldridge Tue 29-Oct-13 14:44:25

My friend went (no kids) seemed to be range of ages (including minor a list celebs!) she has probably done about 10 weeks last year in total and a couple this year. She loves it (clearly!) and lost a large amount of weight, however she does struggle to maintain / continue when not there.

kelpeed Tue 29-Oct-13 23:43:43

thanks!

do you know how long she stayed for? i'd looking at something like a week to kickstart the system, so i don't really want to be away from seeing the children for that long.

another question - did she mention anything about how the organisers dealt with different levels of fitness? some of the photoes in one camp showed three people all holding hands in a running event - stating that teamwork helps to meet individual goals . i wouldnt want to put others in that situaiton (holding others up) nor be put in the situation where I am going slower to help others finish a course.

Lazysuzanne Wed 30-Oct-13 10:45:15

It sounds rather punishing, and a bit pointless?

Getting fit and improving body composition is going to take much longer than a week or two, how many people would truly keep up the regime started on such a holiday?

CooEeeEldridge Wed 30-Oct-13 10:58:29

Think she did 4 weeks initially (although the norm is a week I think), there is a big emphasis on team work so no setting as such, there is generally only a few already fit people I think so majority are unfit and work together to get fitter.

It definitely works short term, it might be worth booking up some pt sessions for as soon as you're back to keep you going?

Pinkglow Wed 30-Oct-13 14:24:25

My friend has done one a couple of times for a week at a time. The last one she did about a month ago she lost half a stone. She's not the fittest person in the world and smokes and she coped ok.

Only thing she mentioned was the lack of food, she said they certainly don't give a lot of it but then normally her diet is bad so maybe not used to it?

The weight does creep back on with her though because she doesn't change her habits when she gets back or exercise much. I think if you were quite a fit person and you just wanted a kickstart then it could be good.

kelpeed Thu 31-Oct-13 20:36:00

Thanks Pink and CooEee.

Mostly unfit people attend then? not middling fit people?

wavering still. I dont want to hang out for a week with people whose minds are on cigarettes.

Youve reminded me abut the big disparity between the various bootcamps ive seen out and about. Some of the classes do seem to attract participants who look like they are really unfit, and seem to be hating evey minute. I dont want to hang out with haters either.

CooEeeEldridge Fri 01-Nov-13 09:57:08

In my friends case yes, the majority were unfit and vastly overweight. But, all were there with the intention if getting fit, and you can't slack off at those places so I think you'd get your monies worth. Plus if you are fit, you just go harder don't you?

The only thing I would say is that, it's a v good concept but in someways I think you'd be better to signing up to 20 PT sessions and going at it that way. Have you been quite fit previously? If so maybe you would find it a bit easy? Can't say for definite though as only have friends experience to go on!!!!

oscarwilde Fri 01-Nov-13 10:14:26

Place marking for later. I FIFA great one a few yrs back. Ages from 19-60, about 20 or less women. Super unfit, to semi and v fit but needed to shed a few extra lbs. A lingerie model was there just wanting to get fit hmm

Some whinged all week but most were positive most of the time. If you spend £1000-1500 on something like this then whinging about it all makes you look a bit of a fool. The instructors were great and at pains to point out that we were all there through choice and to remember why we came when it got tough. There was no slacking, if you could talk then you weren't working hard enough so all levels catered for. The 19 yr old lost 18lbs in a week. I lost the half stone that I had plateaued at and was thrilled. Never been so toned in my life!
New You Boot Camp - I thoroughly recommend. I've had two kids now and I'm planning on going back.

kaizen Fri 01-Nov-13 11:04:48

a personal trainer could turn you into a Goddess over 6 months for that kind of money...seriously though, if you want to build muscle and lose fat long term, then doing it over a longer period is the only way - muscles take time to rest and rebuild stronger (i hurt like hell for two days minimum after 50 mins with my trainer)

but if you want to lose half a stone quick, then go for the holiday.

Lazysuzanne Fri 01-Nov-13 11:24:10

Agree, gaining fat, losing muscle and cardiovascular conditioning is a process which happens over a long period, trying to reverse that in a short period of time puts too much stress on the body.

Getting fit is a longer term project, these bootcamp holidays sound to me like something kinda self induced punishment after which you'll feel you've suffered so much you'd need to lie on the sofa and eat cake for a month!

Crappyoldframe Fri 01-Nov-13 15:23:16

Just another one to pitch in and say spend it on a PT instead - I've been going twice a week but PT also giving me three home sessions to do - the accountability made me do it. PT also monitored nutrition and supplements - lost about 17lbs and two dress sizes (in three months - down to target weight) but perhaps more importantly for me got into some good habits, have learnt loads, got fitter and more confident in exercising. I think it will be easier to maintain as I have got into habits over a longer period of time and having accountability each week and body fat measurements meant I have stuck at it. - One week, half a stone great - but what happens after that?

Also I have had various injuries to contend with as I have never exercised before and my body is rebelling - PT has helped me work around these and improve strength to get over them and redress imbalances. I reckon I'd have been screwed after a day at bootcamp!

kelpeed Sat 02-Nov-13 01:52:33

thanks all.

Oscarwilde has nailed my concern - the mix of people going to these things, and the whiners who put everyone else off. In your instance, it was good the instructor reminded people that they were there by choice. That new you alpine camp looks good.

the kickstart aspect is the attractive part for me.

i used to be super fit pre-children (three hours per day training for competitive sport, plus the games associated with that) but since going back to work with children i simply haven't been able to fit anything like this in, and the sport, by necessity of time and cash flows, dropped by the wayside, as did the associated training. my contact with non-whingey like-minded sports people has also dwindlled over the years.

I can do my own PT stuff . i am just not doing it. blush ... it's not like ive never been self discplined, doing programs of intense training, healthy eating habits etc before. It is just that my job has been quite tough, with monster hours dealing with short notice, reactive and stressy bollocks. I am about to swap jobs- I was looking for a circuit breakering holiday and thought it would be good to get back into training regime (new broom and all that).

kaizen Sat 02-Nov-13 11:33:02

I know all the PT stuff too after 18 months of doing it, but I just don't do strength, balance and conditioning training without having to pay someone to stand next to me with a stop watch counting reps smile I can run, cycle n swim till I drop n never miss a session but send me off to do gym stuff and I'll chat, give up after 5 reps n gaze into space. Using a foam roller for a pillow is also a fave gym pastime of mine.

If you're busy it's also great having someone to plan your sessions n do different stuff that really works quickly. Maybe try a PT taster session then see how you feel. Sorry blush this sounds like an advert for PT- I'm not one, honest!!

kelpeed Sat 02-Nov-13 12:31:59

I see what you mean. i sometimes like someone else does the counting also, but in a group session. otherwise i get all self conscious so start doing things all wrong. i like it when other people do it wrong grin

kelpeed Sun 03-Nov-13 02:23:03

oops, that sounds mean.

Imeant that i prefer the instructor to correct other people so i can follow.

MollyMango Sun 03-Nov-13 04:53:28

Maybe set up a routine of going to a circuits class at the gym or something like body pump on a set day

oscarwilde Mon 04-Nov-13 10:59:58

I did it for the same reason you did sort of. I had a few weeks off between jobs, knew that the new job would be pressured and wanted to a) shift a stubborn half stone and b) just get fit and into an exercise routine that I could maintain with a level of fitness rather than start from scratch. It was the hardest week of my life but I put a lot into it and found it very rewarding. Came home to do lots of nice clothes shopping for my new job and felt a million dollars. I recommend a bootcamp if you are realistic about what it will deliver for you.

Lazysuzanne Mon 04-Nov-13 13:04:58

Sounds like a bootcamp can be an effective kickstart where that's what is needed!

Oscarwild, were you able to maintain the fitness level achieved via the bootcamp?

kelpeed Mon 04-Nov-13 13:25:34

doing some tripadvisor searches too. the places all seem to have a zillion stars by reviewers who have only done one review. <sigh>

The New You camp website quotes 10-12 hours worth of activities each day. Is it really 10-12 hours, do does that include setting up of gear, bikes, ropes or whatever?

oscarwilde Mon 04-Nov-13 14:39:44

The day is broken into 1 hr slots for the most part with activities lasting about 50 mins each. 5-10 mins break at the end of each slot to have some water, change into dry gear/different gear for next exercise if required.
It's a long day - it started around 5.30am - 6am every day with exercise before breakfast. There's a big emphasis on timekeeping with the whole group penalised if one person is taking the p*ss so it mostly runs like clockwork.
After dinner in the evening there was usually an organised brisk walk for 3-5 miles or so and you would finish the day about 9pm. Just enough time to call home and collapse into bed.
Some days I guess there were things to set up but its well staffed and organised so it's minimal. There's a big emphasis on using your own weight and simple equipment too so not much in the way of setting up. If there was an exercise on the beach or moors for example, there might be a minibus ride somewhere. Sitting on a bus for 30-40 mins was quite frankly a huge relief. You don't get much downtime over the week though they run lots of different courses now so some may be more lifestyle than the one I was on.
PM me if you would like specifics as they used to like to keep things close to their chest. Most people would be horribly put off by the very idea of a 5.30am start. Just because they sign up to it doesn't mean that they like the reality of a pre-breakfast run in the dark and rain.
It did make the idea of a run before breakfast much more acceptable when I got home !

bushprincess Mon 04-Nov-13 20:39:44

Would wholeheartedly recommend wild fitness holidays. Dh and i did the Pg9 say one at Watamu Kenya but friends have been to their other locations and enjoyed just as much. Great food, great inspiring trainers, fabulous location and fun activities. Our group was a real mix of fitness levels but everyone was pushed to the max. Obviously you have to keep it up when you get home but many of our group our still in touch and that helps the motivation. I think they sometimes do family specific weeks so you can take your kids. Do check them out, we'll definitely go again sometime!

bushprincess Mon 04-Nov-13 20:41:13

Err... can't type, 9 day one that is

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now