Contintuing to exercise / work out with a bad back? Advice, please

(4 Posts)
KissesBreakingWave Fri 08-Nov-13 11:04:04

Yes, check with your physio. There's a lot of back problems that benefit from appropriat exercise. Make sure yours is one of them and get advice on what counts as 'appropriate' from someone who knows your condition and has the expertise.

ssmile Fri 08-Nov-13 10:47:49

Do what feels ok for you. I've had disc problems for 5yrs post first baby. Swimming made it hurt so I've mostly stopped going, pilates was good, walking bit half n half depending on how bad I felt but the best thing for me was cycling and shred dvd. I get my cardio and core strength build up. I tried physio, chiropractor, GP, osteopath in the end I just have to listen to my body and exercise does help alleviate back pain for me. Stretch everyday normally at least twice. Piriformus stretch helps me. Google it. hope you feel better soon.

blackteaplease Sun 27-Oct-13 19:14:57

I trapped a nerve in my lower back and carried on going to cardio under the advice of the physio. As long has your instructor is aware and you take care with your bending you should be ok.

But, i would double check with your physio first.

Exceptionalroar Sun 27-Oct-13 19:06:54

I do Power Plates and personal training 2 times a week, and a dance class 1 x. Two weeks ago my lower back felt inflamed, so I stopped. I've seen a physio and a massage; it's not serious but it's now moved all over the middle and other side, probably to compensate. I have young DC and picking them up doesn't help.

Today it doesn't feel good at the time in the day but tomorrow morning should feel ok.

BUT - I haven't done any exercise in two weeks and I'm gagging to get back to it.

What's the deal/received wisdom? Is it bad for your back or okay? It's 1-2-1 so I'm not being overlooked.

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now