Parkrunners anonymous

(997 Posts)
IsThatTrue Sun 27-Oct-13 18:37:34

Hi everyone. I thought we could do with a new shiny thread.

All runners are welcome here smile

A massive well done to all runners this week. I managed to get out today and did 3.5 miles in 32 minutes. It made me feel slightly less guilty about missing parkrun on Saturday (although it is the first since August so not too bad).

Blatherskite Sat 15-Feb-14 09:33:46

He also totally ignored Valentines day I usually get a card at least. I had nothing for him but I've been too sick to go shopping sad

pennygallops Sat 15-Feb-14 11:13:58

Hope you feel better soon blathers

Well, the rain stayed away for the run but it was pretty and wet underfoot. Strangely, I was over dressed again. Think I need to just be cold for the first K next week, rather than too hot for last 4k.

I've only had it once blatherskite and it does make me laugh when people say they've got flu and they're still walking around! Hope you feel better soon and dh has a nasty accident involving squishy bits getting squished sad

I had to drag a rather large branch off the path today and the park ranger came to see us and was surprised to see us as they had considered closing the park! We only had 29 and our new volunteer buggered the stop watch but I had the other as my time keeper didn't show so all was good, also had scanner cancel at 10.30 last night angry sad still all was well and 29 people enjoyed their parkrun which is what it's all about and we had 8 pbs out of those too!!

karatekimmi Sat 15-Feb-14 11:51:03

It was Telford parkruns first birthday so there was cake for everyone at the finish. It was good, but they are resurfacing the paths (which will be good) but its a bit bouncy at the minute and running with a pushchair is hard!!! I've had to walk up hills which I never do, but my times aren't too bad. DH is doing it as well next week, he's joined my running club and has been doing the C25K plan, but he's annoyingly faster than I am!! we both get to do it properly next week, as my Dsis is up and babysitting, so hopefully closer to 30 mins.

CoffeeBucks Sat 15-Feb-14 12:23:42

Horrible weather at Glasgow Victoria but there was a good turnout. Very muddy & lots of puddles though, & I have a blister on the underside of my instep due to fully immersing my feet in a huge puddle sad

I am consistently in the last 10 over the line & I really want this to change!

Blatherskite Sat 15-Feb-14 13:22:42

Yes cinnamon, I pretty much did every school run on the brink of tears because I felt so awful. I have no idea how I drove!

Iggity Sat 15-Feb-14 14:10:51

No parkrun for me today despite pulling myself out of bed at 8.10 with a bit if a hangover (am a lightweight). I got there on time but Black Park had multiple trees that had fallen over so they didn't want us hurdling over them.

Blathers sorry you are feeling so rough. Hope you pull through it soon. I prescribe lots of rest and chocolate. Has amazing healing powers;)

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Sat 15-Feb-14 14:41:46

Bunch of flowers for Blathers

Bunch of fives for Mr Blathers. My DH had real flu about 12 years ago when it was going around and was properly ill. We were staying with PILs at the time and ended up calling the emergency doctor out as he had such a high temp. It's a horrible thing, and you need to take it easy even when you feel better Blathers - you don't want some post-viral thing hanging around.

Well done runners and volunteers. We had everything from pouring rain to bright sunshine today. I was doing well for the first couple of miles and then there was a mega downpour - just after I'd taken my jacket off of course - and high winds. So although I felt as though I worked really hard my time was no better than usual smile.

The weather obviously put the fair weather runners off though - I was 60 places higher than last week grin

thefemaleJoshLyman Sat 15-Feb-14 21:20:27

Thankfully I didn't end up in the lake, Eau. It was very windy on my run but did a pretty good time. Get well soon Blathers, flu is horrible.sad

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Sun 16-Feb-14 22:06:34

Eau - small world. I drove past the turning for St Ives today on my way to Cambridge. I've driven down that road several times before but never clocked that there was a place called St Ives outside Cornwall smile

thenightsky Sun 16-Feb-14 22:26:39

Well my injuries seem to be on the mend. I ran a mile today so I might try one lap (1.5miles) of the park run on saturday. I was breathing like an asthmatic though, but at least my IT band issues didn't kick in.

Sounds promising thenightsky!

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Mon 17-Feb-14 09:30:24

That's great news nightsky. Well done for resting and not going out too far/too soon. Hope the recovery continues smile.

I enjoyed volunteering on Saturday - was on scanning duty so for the first 20 minutes or so I made myself useful taking action photos for our facebook page.

I haven't run all week due to a cold, but it felt great to get back out for my Sunday run in teh sunshine yesterday - found a new route near me which has lots of great hills.

It's been officially announced, we are wearing onesies for our first birthday parkrun!

spacechimp Wed 19-Feb-14 22:00:03

Can I join the thread please? I am not able to run on Saturday as I have sprained my ankle while running on Monday night. Really annoyed as I have been gradually bringing my time down and increasing my distance up from 5km on training runs and was hoping to see results. Missed last week's parkrun too. But walking hurts and so there's no way I could run on Saturday. I will volunteer as DH will run and I might as well go along. Have marshalled before but wondering how difficult/stressful barcode scanning is. Is it just a case of scanning barcode and then finish token? I don't want to mess it up for people!

Hi spacechimp! Yes it is that simple and not giving back the tokens which some people find really hard wink. As long as you do runners barcode first and then token you'll be fine. We write down finishing position and name of anyone who forgets their barcode but I know parkrun do have a no barcode no time policy so your rd will advise you on anything extra to do I'm sure. My favourite job is time keeping, I try to order the tokens as they come to me rather than just chucking them in my pocket until I have them all which I definitely won't do next time as that does stress me! Go for I'm sure your rd will be glad to have you whichever job you go for smile

Scanning's Ok as long as the technology works! But to be honest, the runners have finished, so there's no time pressure. Plus it says their name on the barcode, so you can give a friendly "Well done Pete!" or "How was that for you, Laura?". And you get heaps of thanks and appreciation.

thenightsky Sat 22-Feb-14 08:17:47

Right... after my 'orrible injury ages ago, I'm going to attempt a parkrun today. Maybe I'll only do half (1 lap) but DS has just pointed out that if I just walk the second lap at least it will count towards my t-shirt grin

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Sat 22-Feb-14 08:23:36

Fingers crossed for you night! It is a gorgeous morning heresmile

EauRouge Sat 22-Feb-14 10:40:12

Beautiful here too, so gutted that I missed Parkrun today. Did you go, fish? How did you do?

thenightsky Sat 22-Feb-14 11:21:50

Well I managed a whole lap, then walked/jogged the second lap. Don't care what my time is, just happy I covered the distance. smile

That's great thenightsky!

It was beautiful, I did 28m02 but I didn't want to push it as me and a few others did 9 miles afterwards. My friend who I run with knocked a massive 30s off her pb though!

Gorgeous morning here in norn irn, and we attracted a record turn out!

I was feeling positive- had run 4 times this week, done my daily strength exercises, not gone mad on Friday night drinks. And mapmyrun was telling me I was doing great- pace likely to reach a new pb. Woohoo! And then it announced that I had reached 5 km when there was still the final stretch to manage.

Oh well, 27:07 is better than most of my recent times, even if it's a bit short of a pb.

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Sat 22-Feb-14 20:31:03

I PB'd this morning grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now