Parkrunners anonymous

(997 Posts)
IsThatTrue Sun 27-Oct-13 18:37:34

Hi everyone. I thought we could do with a new shiny thread.

All runners are welcome here smile

A massive well done to all runners this week. I managed to get out today and did 3.5 miles in 32 minutes. It made me feel slightly less guilty about missing parkrun on Saturday (although it is the first since August so not too bad).

karatekimmi Sat 14-Dec-13 06:21:18

Well it's looking dry here which is good! Just need to get my lazy bum off the sofa an get ready - despite mini kimmi bein up at 5 I clock we seem to be rushin to the start line far too often!! We try to get a bit of playtime at the park to wear out entertain LO and then he has the important job of waving at all the Marshall's!

Gale force wind and rain forecast here! Might not take the dog with me today.

Standingonlego Sat 14-Dec-13 10:41:36

It was cold and bright here this morning, nice weather for it. Less people than usual as a big event "blood, sweat and beers" or something like that ,lots of our club runners are doing it later today. Sounds horrific!

Hope everyone had a lovely run, and look forward to race reports later!

Standingonlego Sat 14-Dec-13 10:43:12

Hope OhOne you are feeling better (how scary) and everyone nursing injuries, niggles and Christmas party hangover has a lovely day too x

karatekimmi Sat 14-Dec-13 12:21:47

Well we managed to get out before 8, so ratbag had a good run around the park, and then slept the whole way round!!

I bumped into my midwife at the start so I ran round with her, and it was really good as I knocked over 3 mins off my best time with the pushchair!! It did feel harder though! I need a nap now, but someone won't let that happen!!

Hope you all had good runs this week.

Standingonlego Sat 14-Dec-13 13:18:52

cinnamon you were right - a new PB grin

27.02, delighted and a great improvement on my previous 27.38 (and the recent 27.42 and 27.41). So next week, aiming to break the 27 minute barrier !

Blatherskite Sat 14-Dec-13 15:03:38

I could really tell I've had 3 weeks with almost no running this morning! Huffed and puffed round to a 28:12 finish. I ran yesterday and my calf feels like I have a big knot in it which didn't help. I think I may have to stick to 3 runs a week for a while while it finishes healing

Standingonlego Sat 14-Dec-13 18:30:22

blathers take it steady and get better. 28.12 is still a blinking awesome time smile

Well done karatekimmi and standingonlego!!!

Look after yourself Blatherskite! I know how frustrating it is but better not to push yourself.

I was RD today and we had 26, with 4 being first timers smile went very smoothly. Was clear and blimmin freezing! My mum had the kids so dh even joined us for post parkrun coffee while I processed results smile

We're having a Santa hat run next week and some is providing something for each junior running or volunteering smile

Knackerelli Sat 14-Dec-13 22:16:44

Yay, sounds like good runs all round! And I would literally kill for a 28:12 finish!! I had a slow one but hadn't run all week so really enjoyed just being outside and having the freedom to run. We also had a pre-Christmas celebration; running in a Santa hat is sweaty work!

thenightsky Sat 14-Dec-13 22:24:49

PB again. Knocked 5 seconds off last week's time. Happy with that.

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Sun 15-Dec-13 00:13:33

<screeches back on to thread>

Excellent running by all this week smile.

I had a bit of a slow start this morning, but gave myself a talking to after the first km and ended up with my fastest run since September, only 8 seconds away from my PB. I was seriously puffing and blowing by the end and overtaken by a couple of juniors on the last hill grin.

thenightsky Sun 15-Dec-13 00:20:41

I've remembered how important breathing is.

Back in the day I was a proper runner, winning trophies.

Today I got that old vibe back. Massively heavy breathing/panting whether it felt natural or not. Keep up the hyperventilating on the hills and the legs respond and go faster.

How did I forget this?

I did 6 miles today and my goodness it was hard! I hadn't eaten a lot and I gave blood Thursday so perhaps a few less rbc's? I still managed 9.38min miles but I felt awful afterwards, feeling great now though grin

I didnt even get under 30 this week, but I'm currently waiting for a GP call back as I've had a pain in my lower back since Thursday which has worsened, so that probaably wasnt helping my running.

I need to work on my breathing - any good books or articles to read?

I'm going for a PB this week, anyone else?

Blatherskite Wed 18-Dec-13 13:34:18

Not me. Calf is still not 100% and I might be running before parkrun too and I'm not sure I can PB 5k after running 5k!

There has been pressure for a while to change the start at MK as we're getting bigger and bigger (350+ runners most weeks) and there is an awful bottleneck near the start. I've been asked if I'd like to start at 8am and trial the new course which I think might be exciting. It's going to be a Freedom run so I may attempt the regular route at 9am just to get another official parkrun on my record but I doubt it'll be a quick one.

Weather's not great, my back muscles are still sore, and I'll be cheese-and-porting with my bestie the night before....so a PB is unlikely I have to say!

thenightsky Wed 18-Dec-13 18:22:25

We just got told that our course has been 70 metres too long!!! There'll be a lot of PBs on Sunday now the course has been shortened.

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Wed 18-Dec-13 19:01:48

That sounds fun Blathers. The time I came to your parkrun I arrived late so missed the bottleneck smile. I have recorded a couple of freedom runs but sadly they don't add to your total.

70 metres doesn't sound too far nightsky, but I bet it makes a difference smile

Hope you feel better soon Melanie - enjoy your Friday night with your bestie smile

I am off work for 3 weeks now grin so have no excuse for not running more than once a week. I would like a PB this week, as I was so close last week. Good luck with yours cinnamon!

SarahJessicaFarter Wed 18-Dec-13 19:11:29

I have just discovered PR. Love it. I have done three now. But missed the last 2 because I have been ill for ages! Just coughs and colds but I ran the last run with the tail end of a cold and felt naff for days. Anyway, excuses done, looking forward to training again and starting in the NY. Love it!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 18-Dec-13 19:33:15

I've not managed to run since last Thursday- everyone's just been too busy and now I'm full of a cold and the weather is horrific so I'm not going tonight either.

This is the longest that I've not run for since I started in September sad.
Hopefully I'll get out tomorrow but if not it'll be ages as I need to pack on Friday night then we're away for a week (somewhere where I'll be exercising but not running).

My next Parkrun isn't going to be until 2014!

karatekimmi Thu 19-Dec-13 16:56:17

I am volunteering on Saturday so no PB for me!! One more this year, although if the amount of food stored is anything to go by, it,ll be a slow one! one more work get up, and then I'm off for 2 weeks!

I was at out Christmas party last night and I am barely awake now! just waiting to put mini kimmi to bed and then I will follow him!!

Sounds interesting blatherskite, I'd probably be tempted to do both too!

How's your back now MelanieCheeks?

grin thenightsky.

Nice OhOneOhTwoOhThree, 3 WHOLE weeks!! Any news on your purse?

Hi SarahJessicaFarter!

Sorry your not feeling great IwishIwasmoreorganised, did you get out yesterday.

Yay for volunteering karatekimmi, hope it's not too chilly!

One of the original organisers of parkrun has an annual mince pie run, which is this Sunday and ranges from 2.5 to 6 miles followed by tea/coffee and mince pies and cake at his house. My normal doggy run on Monday and some people from the club want to run Christmas Eve so I'll be doing 4 days in a row including parkrun confused

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Fri 20-Dec-13 14:48:16

No news cinnamon thanks for asking smile. I wasn't expecting any really. My knees have finally healed up, it's nice not to have scabby knees grin. Sounds like you have a busy weekend coming up!

Sending good running/volunteering vibes to all for tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now