Ten week Countdown to Christmas - let's run/ diet/ shred/ c25k / glam-up together!

(177 Posts)
futureforward Tue 15-Oct-13 09:47:50

Hi all!

Tomorrow, Weds 16th Oct, is, I believe, ten weeks until Christmas! I have definitely put on a few pounds over the summer, I'm unfit, generally a little untoned and my eating habits could do with more fresh stuff and less sugar! cake I also have tons of beauty products claiming to work miracles lining my shelves, but never find the time to use them! lazy

So, I want to use this thread to do a bit of a Christmas Countdown... If you'd like to join me in generally just bettering yourself or your routine then please do grin You can choose which area you want to work on, or try a little bit of all-round life enhancement like I am!

All diets/exercise routines welcome - whatever works for you - I know some people like WW or SW or Paleo, some like zumba and classes while others like to run or shred. I think as long as we're all doing it together and encouraging each other then we'll get there just fine!

So, my three kick-start targets:

1) Start a C25k plan (currently thinking the Zombies Run one looks good!).
2) Start cleansing and moisturising before bed.
3) Keeping sweet treats to the weekend only and try to eat 'clean' in the week.

I am hoping as these things become second nature that I add more things to my targets as the week progresses.

So, who's in with me?! grin

Chopstheduck Wed 11-Dec-13 18:59:05

I'm still here!

Following pretty much same schedule as I was. Struggling to get the time atm for the longer runs, but still doing all the classes and some runs. Increasing weight for body pump, and working at the higher level in body attack AND my weight is heading in the right direction. smile

Well done for sticking with it!

EauRougemasTree Sun 08-Dec-13 13:01:38

Anyone else still going? Halfway through L2 now and ran 7 miles today.

EauRouge Thu 28-Nov-13 09:19:41

Just started level 2 of the 30 day shred and chuffing nora, it's a bit tougher than level 1. I will stick with it though! I might start doing it three times a week rather than just twice. I'm worried about over-training but then worried about not doing enough hmm

Pinkglow Wed 27-Nov-13 11:36:07

I'm runnign three times a week, doing a spin class and a Core work class for my HM. If I run more than that I burn out quite easily but running 3x a week seems to suit me. One long run, on interval run and then one hilly or hard run.

TheFaceofBEauRouge Tue 26-Nov-13 08:26:07

I've come up with my own plan based on loads of others I've seen. Monday is a rest day, Tuesdays is 3 or 4 miles recovery, Wed cross training, Thursday hills or intervals, Fri cross training, Sat rest (but I normally have band rehearsal) and Sunday is long run day. I'm increasing by about a mile each time and then every 4 weeks cutting back a bit to reduce the risk of injury. Really need to sort out some new running shoes!

I agree about core strength, since I've been doing 30 day shred I've got so much faster.

Chopstheduck Tue 26-Nov-13 07:23:14

I am so fed up with seeing the scales going up and down. Was really good last week and I am still 2lbs up!

I've tried proper plans before, and they seem to involve running 4 times a week. I'm better with rest days in between, so I'm planning two 5 mile runs a week, and then increasing the long run, hopefully by a mile each week. So today should be 5, then thurs 10, and 5 on sunday.

I do other things in between - current schedule is body pump mondays, body attack wednesdays and spinning then body pump on fridays, and maybe body combat on Saturday. I find that improving core strength has really helped me with my running. Having said that I am really achey from body pump yesterday for some reason, so I'm not entirely sure whether I am going out today or not. Hopefully later I will be able to motivate myself!

AngryBuddha Mon 25-Nov-13 23:09:08

grin Beau very funny. We have all been there!!

I feel good, don't ache at all. Think I may still may be on a high.

So the 1/2 marathon training starts now. Those that are doing the same, what training plan are you following?

Also need to improve my water consumption which is rubbish at the moment! hopefully have glowing skin for xmas.

TheFaceofBEauRouge Mon 25-Nov-13 07:57:45

Wow, that's a brilliant time!

I did 5 miles yesterday, it felt really tough for some reason (lack of sleep maybe?). Rest day again today.

I did do a bit of running on Saturday even though it was meant to be a rest day. If you saw a woman running up the travelator at MK Ikea to retrieve a 2 yo girl that decided at the last minute she was too scared to get on, that was me.

Chopstheduck Sun 24-Nov-13 15:00:03

That was a great time, well done you! grin

AngryBuddha Sun 24-Nov-13 14:49:40

Thanks Chops

Wasn't expecting a great performance due to me being unwell for 2 weeks in my training. But I pulled it out of the bag. Beautiful location, but wet, muddy and very hilly but I did it in 59:40

Very pleased!!

Chopstheduck Sun 24-Nov-13 08:01:41

Good luck today AngryBuddha! smile

AngryBuddha Sat 23-Nov-13 22:26:35

Got on the scale on Thursday seem to put on 1/2 stone in last two weeks, not good. Comforting eating while I was poorly and reduced exercise.

I will be doing my first 10k tomorrow, wish me luck!

Chopstheduck Fri 22-Nov-13 11:15:18

Oh dear, Ikea is a workout in itself! Have you watched the Gravity/Ikea spoof yet? grin

My 'rest' day tomorrow involves taking 4 teenage girls to see the Hunger Games. Hopefully Sunday I will get out for a run.

TheFaceofBEauRouge Fri 22-Nov-13 09:09:00

Well done on your 9 miles! If you can do that now then a half should be no problem.

Another 4 mile run done last night, I was surprised at my pace throughout, I'm gutted that my Garmin crashed because I never got to find out my time. Shredding today and having a well-deserved rest day on Saturday! I say rest, I'm going to the NCT sale and then IKEA which can't really be considered resting.

Chopstheduck Fri 22-Nov-13 06:29:59

You are working hard McPie!

I'm rather pleased with myself - ran 9 miles yesterday! Got a new PB for 10k at 1hr7min, then carried on til 1hr45 to do the 9miles. I think I'm gonna take the plunge and register! It was mostly sunny but the wind, and I did quite a hilly circuit so I think I can do this.

Today I'm off to the gym for a spinning class then will do some weights.

Foodwise things have been a little better this week too, must stay away from the chips!

AngryBuddha Wed 20-Nov-13 22:08:10

(Waves to everyone)

Wow impressive - McPie

Yes, Pink think there is a few of us now. I am doing my first 10k on Sunday. Then it will be HM training.

Should of gone out tonight, but had hell of a day! So went and watched rubbish in bed instead. I will try to go to the gym tomorrow.

McPie Wed 20-Nov-13 13:37:16

I'm still keeping up with everything apart from my eating! sad
Today is the re-start for me with 5 weeks to christmas.
I have been avoiding the treadamill the last month or so but finally dragged my backside onto one this morning and done 2 1/2 mins each of walking, climbing at 11% and running at 9.5 x 4 then kept going on the last run so I managed a solid 10 mins with a 2 1/2 min cool down walk. I then went on to do my 3 circuits from my gym plan before going home for an hour before doing the new metafit.
Tonights plan is body combat, an hour in the gym (I may run again if I can't get on the squat rack, and then a nice well earned stretch in body balance grin.

Pinkglow Wed 20-Nov-13 11:06:27

I think quite a few of us are doing our first HM next year aren't we? Did a interval run yesterday on the treadmill though for some reason I always end up running slower on a treadmill.

Will go for a 20 min tempo run tonight before core tomorrow and then a 10k at the weekend. Should get a good base up as I start HM training in December.

TheFaceofBEauRouge Wed 20-Nov-13 10:48:08

I've seen those headlight things. I made a change from my normal route and avoided the country lanes so it wasn't too bad, only one unlit stretch. It was rush hour though so I had to keep stopping for traffic and running on the grass verges past pedestrians. That made me a bit nervous, dog owners around here are terrible for not picking up shite.

You should absolutely register for the half marathon! I'm doing my first one in March.

Chopstheduck Wed 20-Nov-13 07:44:35

Oh and running in the dark - I ordered a runing headlight onlien here Makes me look a bit of a numpty, but they are quite common around here, and we have too many roads wihtout streetlights.

Chopstheduck Wed 20-Nov-13 07:38:06

Morning girls

I'm struggling a bit to get out of the house too. Plus AF arrived Monday, early, and very full on. So after missing Sunday, I also missed Monday. Got out yesterday though, lovely 5.5 mile run around Virginia Water. Bloody freezing, but sunny. I pinned my top to my running tights to stop it riding up which did help a bit! I get paid next week and I'm debating whether to register for the local half marathon next April.

futureforward Tue 19-Nov-13 23:29:38

I have one word: OFSTED!!! What a nightmare the last couple of weeks have been. angry

The good news is I haven't been doing too badly actually. I went out for a 5.5km run last weekend which I was very proud about!! The healthy eating has not been going TOO well as loads of cakes and chocolate appear to have entered the house, I know not how blush.

It's just getting so cold now that it's really hard to make myself leave the house, have no idea how I will cope if this snow actually makes an appearance!!

TheFaceofBEauRouge Tue 19-Nov-13 19:13:31

Finally have my DH home and went for a lovely, relaxing 4 mile run tonight. I usually run in the morning so running in the dark was a novelty, not sure I like it- but it was bloody nice to have a break from the DDs after 10 days on my own with them.

My half marathon training plan starts this week so I shall be shredding tomorrow.

AngryBuddha Mon 18-Nov-13 11:49:15

Did not do anything over the weekend! So panicked this morning as 10k race is only 6 days away. So ran 10k this morning, slowly, just so I know I can do it! Will try and only do 2 or 3 2 milers over the next few days and rest!!

AngryBuddha Sat 16-Nov-13 20:28:57

You need a better instructor. I have done a few classes where you get a nice stretch (but with limited time, this is not enough, I want to feel I am achieving something). But I have found a class, (thankfully one of this classes are on a Monday, rest day after my long run). I break a sweat within the first 10 minutes and am like that for the rest of the session.

Another rest day today, to try and get this bug out of my system (also hubby working so no childcare) will fit in a long run (7 miles) tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now