Ten week Countdown to Christmas - let's run/ diet/ shred/ c25k / glam-up together!

(177 Posts)
futureforward Tue 15-Oct-13 09:47:50

Hi all!

Tomorrow, Weds 16th Oct, is, I believe, ten weeks until Christmas! I have definitely put on a few pounds over the summer, I'm unfit, generally a little untoned and my eating habits could do with more fresh stuff and less sugar! cake I also have tons of beauty products claiming to work miracles lining my shelves, but never find the time to use them! lazy

So, I want to use this thread to do a bit of a Christmas Countdown... If you'd like to join me in generally just bettering yourself or your routine then please do grin You can choose which area you want to work on, or try a little bit of all-round life enhancement like I am!

All diets/exercise routines welcome - whatever works for you - I know some people like WW or SW or Paleo, some like zumba and classes while others like to run or shred. I think as long as we're all doing it together and encouraging each other then we'll get there just fine!

So, my three kick-start targets:

1) Start a C25k plan (currently thinking the Zombies Run one looks good!).
2) Start cleansing and moisturising before bed.
3) Keeping sweet treats to the weekend only and try to eat 'clean' in the week.

I am hoping as these things become second nature that I add more things to my targets as the week progresses.

So, who's in with me?! grin

Chopstheduck Thu 17-Oct-13 08:56:26

<<peeks head around corner>>

Hello girls!

I started the year about 5-6 stone overweight. I've lost 4 stone, 4 dress sizes, and 10" from my waist, learned to run, and generally much fitter.

BUT I really would love to -
1) lose a stone and get down to a normal BMI by the end of the year
2) get my 5k time down to 30 minutes

I would really really recommend the c25k plan though, I started that at the beginning of the year, and love running now. I really found it hard to start with, the first run I practically crawled up the drive at the end, couldn't even manage the 5 minute cool down. It is amazing how quick you do build stamina on it.

I recently ditched my small gym membership for a lovely posh one with all the classes etc, so have so far tried Spinning and Bodyattack. I loved Spinning, but after the Bodyattack yesterday I actually really do ache for the first time in ages so I think that probably gave me more of a workout.

Today the kids are off school due to strikes, so we are off ice skating!

Good luck to everyone, we can do this!

Chopstheduck Thu 17-Oct-13 08:57:53

Oh and I don't have a sweet tooth, but I love junk food - burgers, chips, etc. blush I haven't really been watching what I eat so much, as I do burn a lot of calories off through exercise, but I need to be more disciplined if I am going to do this by Xmas.

McPie Thu 17-Oct-13 09:13:25

Its the October holidays here and I'm 7 classed down due to instructors being off so the earliest a class has started has been my metafits at 12 the last 2 days, normally 9.30. I am struggling so much to get motivated in the mornings as I have nowhere but the gym to go to and I can rock up to that at anytime as its literally just over the road.
I need it to be monday so I can get my structure back, as well as depositing the noisy kids back in the hands of their teachers grin.
Thank god for DS1, he is amazing with the DT's and lets me get out
when I need to for the price of a few late nights on the xbox smile.
Have had my only caffinated coffee for the day, I've been told by my family not to drop that one as when I did they got scared grin, and french toast (3 slice of wheat free bread and 2 eggs dry fried) and will have some fat free greek yoghurt with a banana and some honey then get dressed for the gym.
This morning I plan to run for about 30 mins (when I say run I'm still on intervals so will walk 2 1/2, climb 2 1/2 then run 5 and repeat trying to increase the run time) them will do my chest weights and maybe abs or biceps instead of triceps as they still hurt from the first time I done them on sunday. Legs will be done for the first time on saturday and even though I have been doing body pump for 13 months I have been told to wait until the weekend and to expect hell on earth and after the tricep pain lasting all this week I'm scared!

futureforward Thu 17-Oct-13 10:07:29

Making, well, it is a chase down by Zombies but I wrote it as in "one zombie chase down and however many more to go!" It's essentially a couch to 5k app, but unlike the others, a story is woven around it, you are Runner 5 in the deserted township of Abel, you get messages and challenges 'communicated' to you via your 'headset'. Like I say I've only done the first one but thought it was brilliantly executed. It was £1.99 from the App Store. Tip- do it in daytime as it definitely has potential to spook as it grows darker in the evenings!!

Hello hello and welcome to the party Chops! Wow another inspiration for us! It's great to hear of people who have taken to the gym classes and persisted with the 5k apps. It's nice to know it does get better smile

I've found that low carb works best for me so dinner tonight will be fish and veg with cheesy cauliflower mash. Then some Greek yogurt with a dash of honey while we catch up on yesterday's Corrie! Mmm can't wait!

MerylStrop Thu 17-Oct-13 10:17:34

I think the zombie app sounds like it might actually make running more fun....or take my mind of the pain and how I must look to innocent passers by

amateurcynic Thu 17-Oct-13 14:13:38

Thanks for the welcome future! Zombie app sounds equal parts motivating and terrifying! I would definitely be too much of a wuss to do it after dark.

Makingmama - I don't think I've lost any or much weight yet, although trying not to weigh myself until Sat as I get a bit obsessive otherwise. However I feel much fitter and more toned. My arms and legs are getting more defined and my DP told me a couple of days ago I was getting a mini six pack under my boobs! Still have flabby tummy beneath sadly.

futureforward Thu 17-Oct-13 15:06:44

I'd really recommend it. The storyline sounds interesting too so I'm really intrigued to see what happens next. My knees are feeling sore today though!

thekitchenfairy Thu 17-Oct-13 15:38:55

Hello! Can I join in?
Took my lazy arse down the gym yesterday and set myself a few pre Xmas targets without realising it is only 10 weeks away! I used to run 4x week and train with weights but 6mths of FT work has not been great. So I am back on it. And 5 booze free days every week. But how I do love my evening reward of a large glass of wine! And I am really in need of motivation!
And what is this Shred of which you speak? Does it work?

Chopstheduck Thu 17-Oct-13 15:56:29

McPie, maybe you should start with lower weights? I think a bit of aching is fine, but pain all week sounds a bit extortionate, especially as you must already be fairly fit from doing body pump. Good luck with it though smile

I've not had any aching from doing weights, though bodyattack left me slightly sore. I have huge calf muscles from running which are prone to stiffness. I really want to go for a run to stretch them out, but have to pick up dt1 from a friends and then it will probably get too dark.

I rather like the sound of that zombie app! Sounds like fun, and keeping your mind off the running is a great tactic.

I lvoe wine too sad Prob my biggest downfall really. I tend to drink around twice times a week, but once the bottle is opened it HAS to be finished blush

Chopstheduck Thu 17-Oct-13 15:57:37

thekitchenfairy shred is available on youtube, take a look. It is a pretty good workout, I've done it a few times on non run days, but never really wanted to commit to following it properly. Lots of people swear by it though.

MerylStrop Thu 17-Oct-13 18:16:16

Ok so today was a disaster. Almost like posting on this thread was a signal to myself to go and eat beans and chips (for lunch) and a whole load of handmade pork pies at the bakery project that I work at. It was all yummy. But I will ditch the self reproach and start again tomorrow!

Makingmama Thu 17-Oct-13 19:35:48

I love the sound of the zombie app, def. going to take a look! Sounds very amusing grin

kitchenfairy 30 day shred by Jillian Michaels, do check it out so many people rave about it (I've only just started).
meryl as you say tomorrow is a new day so forget about today <<<says I who's had candy floss and ice-cream at the park today>>> blush

Chopstheduck Thu 17-Oct-13 19:56:37

Totm for me so I can't stop eating neither! And I'm sat here with wine now!

Body combat tomorrow tho so hopefully burn some off.

McPie Thu 17-Oct-13 20:03:25

Thanks Chopstheduck I had done dumbell skullcrushers with 10kg but I think the pain was because they had hit my triceps in a way that they never have been hit before, nothing else has hurt much apart from a slight ache in the biceps. Legs only worry me because I will be doing weighted sumo squats which are new to me so are bound to cause some pain.
Done well with my food today for a change so lets hope I can keep it up, though saturday is wine night so it will probably all go out the window grin.
Just finished kettlercise and metafit, metafit was tough tonight a finisher after each round was just plain mean!

McPie Fri 18-Oct-13 06:55:45

It's far too early to be up contemplating exercise but here I am eating a banana and having a wake up coffee before I get ready to go to a cycle zone class! Last friday morning one until xmas holidays as I can't get out to do it and get the kids ready for school, shame really as it's a friend who takes it and she's ace.
Busy day today with kettlercise and boxfit 9.30 -11.30 then metafit at 1 and to top it all off another cycle zone class at 5! I think thats more classes in one day than I've had all this week. Well it's almost back to normal next week with only one body balance off as the instructor is not back until wednesday, can't wait as I need a good stretch.
Happy friday everyone wine time is approaching fast grin.

Chopstheduck Fri 18-Oct-13 07:41:09

wow mcPie, that is amazing! I def couldn't do more than one gym class in a day yet, I'm just not used to them at all yet. I am considering though cycling to the gym today. It's 4.5 miles, takes me about 15 minutes, but I'm wondering will I be able to make it home again after the class?!

futureforward Fri 18-Oct-13 09:56:59

Wow McPie, that's great! Hope your class went well!

I still can't believe how stiff I am/was from just the first day of C25k. It's quite embarrassing really and shows how unfit I am! I agree though Making that it really does take your mind off the running (or mostly walking with some short jogging bursts in my case haha). It's quite clever really, as it will load music from your playlists, then after every song there's some dialogue which furthers the story. So worst case scenario is you are thinking "just keep going til the end of this song", which is a nice way to break it up.

Hello kitchen of course you can join!! Nice to have you smile Shred is indeed available on youtube and if you google before and after pics it seems pretty impressive. I'm hoping once I'm a couple of weeks into this challenge and not quite so sore that I'll be able to do the shred on (some of) the days I don't do c25k.

Pleased to say I stuck to my menu last night and didn't have any dessert! Was rewarded with a v small loss on the scales today (weigh in day) so that was good... even though I know we're only two days in haha.

Friday night however is treat night in this household, and that ain't gonna change. grin I am sure many diet gurus would be shocked at that but I truly think that you need that chance to indulge else you go mad! wine cake Similarly if you do fall off the wagon one day (and I am sure I will too at some point), then don't be angry at yourself! At the end of the day it's only food. Could you walk a little more that day or do some sit ups while you're watching TV? I did read one bit of advice that I think is useful.... you may or may not agree... if you have ventured off plan, don't write off the whole day. Don't think "Oh well I had a chocolate bar for breakfast so now the whole day is ruined." It isn't. Don't wait for tomorrow to get back on track, do it now!! I thought it was a good tip anyway smile

futureforward Fri 18-Oct-13 09:59:23

By the way chops, 4.5 miles in 15 minutes?! shock grin Sounds pretty good to me!

McPie Fri 18-Oct-13 11:52:37

I started with one class a day and gradually built up to what I do now but then again I had Tough Mudder to prepare for and just never dropped any after I had done it. I find it easier to do 2 together more for the fact I am already warmed up from the 1st one so it's not quite as bad.
Boxfit was cancelled so I had a bit of a reprieve this morning, I am now sitting with a nice decaff coffee and waiting for metafit at 1.
4.5 miles in 15 mins is just WOW if you ask me.

futureforward Fri 18-Oct-13 12:31:19

Just been looking at the pics of the Duchess of Cambridge playing volleyball. OMG. I would die happy if I could get that shape! And still have room to put on an extra stone and still look fab!!! grin

futureforward Sat 19-Oct-13 09:15:31

Morning everyone! How was your Friday and how are you going to stick to your kick-start targets over the weekend? smile

EauRouge Sat 19-Oct-13 09:21:44

I started the shred yesterday and just did another. I am really, really rubbish at some of the strength but the cardio is pretty easy because I'm used to it. Just having a post work-out smoothie.

If you want to try it out before you buy the DVD, level 1 is on youtube.

amateurcynic Sat 19-Oct-13 10:28:04

Morning everyone!
My Friday was slightly disastrous - ended up hosting a friend who had locked himself out of his house, and somehow lots and lots of wine ended up sliding down our throats!

Plans to do a late night shred also obviously came to naught. Oh well!

Crappyoldframe Sat 19-Oct-13 14:44:57

Hello all! Well a week with no training and already put on a lb and feeling flabby another 10 days to 3 weeks off with Calf strain grrr. Best try harder with the diet. mcpie you are awesome! I would spend my life in the physio room if I attempted that much exercise!

Chopstheduck Sat 19-Oct-13 15:06:53

Hello girls smile

Well I cycled! In the end cycled 10 miles (went town after gym then home), did my class, ran 3 miles on the treadmill and walked 4 miles. So a very good day exercise wise for me and I was pretty sensible eating too. The cycling def got slower as I went on though!

I have lots of treat days though, they are essential for me to keep on it. I exercise loads so I can usually get away with it, but I think I've had a few too many treat days lately, with various events. Off to edinburgh this weekend, then back to London for the nfl in Sunday, so I'm going to have to save up some calories this week.

I want to do a tough mudder! I love cross country running in winter. Even the snow didn't stop me last year, but I didn't have a gym membership then. I don't really like running on a treadmill much though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now