5k to 10k in 6 weeks?

(87 Posts)
Naebother Mon 14-Oct-13 20:24:38

I'm a recent c25k graduate and am running 5k 3 x a week. I have done 2 park runs so far at 38 min and 36 min.

My friend ( who runs marathons) wants us to enter a 10k in 6 weeks time. I've had a look online at training schedules by they all are 4-5 x a week and I can only do 3 runs a week.

Any advice on how I can prepare?

SparklyFucker Tue 29-Oct-13 16:21:31

Should also say I was also only running three times a week too.

Naebother Tue 29-Oct-13 16:35:05

Thanks sparkly. That's inspiring. What a great time too. What were you running 5 k in?

Naebother Tue 29-Oct-13 16:35:17

Time. I mean.

SparklyFucker Tue 29-Oct-13 17:09:12

I was averaging 33-34 mins I suppose, my fastest ever was after I had done a 10k for a while and was 30mins 32 secs. Never dipped below 32 either, apart from that one time. It was odd really, I hadn't gone out with anything other than a normal run in mind. But it all just went so perfectly, and I knew after the first kilometer and a half that it was going to be fast. It felt utterly amazing and will go down as one of my best ever feeling runs regardless of time!

I think once you can sustain your 5k pace for about 45-50 mins solid, you know you're going to be able to cover 10k as a distance, assuming you're looking at about 35mins for 5k. I felt that walking intervals after that point were pointless for me personally, and that extending my time by ten mins or whatever per week was probably going to better. So I sort of agree with Mitchy, look at targetting the total time/distance first and look at speed work later. 10k is much more about endurance to start with. But it's very personal, you know how best to push yourself.

VoiceofRaisin Tue 29-Oct-13 17:11:41

Swap one of your weekly runs for an interval session. On your non run days do some core training (pressups, planks, sit ups). Both those techniques will seriously improve your running and don't take up any more of your time (if you do the core exercises in front of the tv).

Naebother Wed 30-Oct-13 08:24:38

God I really struggled yesterday. I think the 7k i ran on saturday sapped me. Plus its that time of the month. Do any of you plan your training around your menstral cycle?

So I only did 4k and it took me 35 min. Plus ligament behind my knee hurts. Feels like I'm going backwards.

Good idea voice I'm doing yoga on my ' rest' days. I could incorporate some longer plank into my salutations.

Naebother Wed 30-Oct-13 08:27:49

sparkly that gives me hope.

My 5 k times are not far from yours. I think you and mitchy might be right about focusing on distance.

I'm going to aim for 6k on Thursday. 8k on Saturday. That would give me a Weekly total of 18k.

Naebother Wed 30-Oct-13 08:30:06

5k only 8 on Saturday will be parkrun. Plan is I'm going to keep on after I finish the 5k!

Naebother Wed 30-Oct-13 08:30:15

Of

SparklyFucker Wed 30-Oct-13 08:41:42

I didn't specifically plan my runs around my cycle but I noticed very real differences in how I felt. Often as if there was just nothing left, no real energy or strength. I'm also a bit prone to minor ankle & knee strains during that week or so. Those sorts of days I would just run/jog for the joy of being outside, for being away from the kids for half an hour or so, to see the sun, just jogged it out really and forget about times/distances etc. I looked around me more and appreciated where I live much more. If I only managed 4k, or was 5mins slower, then so what, I'd had a pleasant meander out and was keeping my muscles ticking over. I'm not really a racer or competitive runner and am just trying to improve my general fitness, and being able to get to a beautiful countryside/farmland run within five minutes of the house also does wonders for my mental health and moods too.

Naebother Wed 30-Oct-13 09:03:04

You have described it perfectly, that running on empty feeling sparkly. I feel better knowing its not just me!

I also love that aspect of running outside, escaping the kids, seeing the trees, the stars, getting to know my neighbourhood in all its small detail smile

Mitchy1nge Wed 30-Oct-13 11:56:36

I think the most important thing is to keep getting out there, you can have your 'perfect world plan' where you do your (for example) easy run, tempo or speed work one and your long one and then your real world one which could be 'I must go out at least three times, the long one is the most important one but it all counts as long as I keep running and build the kms in my legs'.

People training for their first race of any distance rarely run that actual distance during training, you are going to get round that course and be fine!

RubyLovesShopping Wed 30-Oct-13 12:02:48

Nae yes I notice a definite difference throughout the month, usually have most energy/endurance ability in week before and first few days of cycle then feel utterly wiped out for the next week then gradual return to normal energy levels. I think this is reflected in my running times and speeds.

RubyLovesShopping Wed 30-Oct-13 12:04:35

Also Mitchum is right the very first 10k I ever did I hadn't run the full distance at all, ever! It didn't go we'll and I ended up walking most of the final 2k. So I do think you need to run the full distance a few times even at a very slow jog.

RubyLovesShopping Wed 30-Oct-13 12:04:57

Sorry mitchy not Mitchum!!

Mitchy1nge Wed 30-Oct-13 12:40:52

I might have been saying the opposite, like for the marathon, people rarely do more than 20, 22, 24 at most miles before their first one. But I think it is time on your legs that really counts, so if you can get to a point where you are comfortable (ish) running for at least an hour that is surely close enough and puts you in a better position than you were at the start of the six weeks?

Naebother Wed 30-Oct-13 16:34:18

I like your idea of plan a, plan b ,mitchy

Will just keep going and, like you say, see how much I can do. Ive just realised my 10k will probably coincide with my next period.

What can I eat to keep my every up at that time of the month. Usually its a lot of chocolate!.

Naebother Wed 30-Oct-13 16:34:45

Ruby. How far had you run before your 10k?

Chopstheduck Wed 30-Oct-13 16:49:03

It's def doable. I reached 5k in about 6 weeks, and then about 5 weeks later did my first 10k. I was very slow at that point, I think it took me 1 hr 25 mins for the first ever 10. I kept running throughout but prob could have walked faster during some of the uphill bits! I worked on distance to start with and didn't really worry about speed or interval training.

I would def work on strength, I've joined the gym last month and have knocked another 3 minutes off my PB for 5k, I've really noticed my speed pick up.

I wouldn't worry about 3x a week being too little neither. I personally find that I am best with 3 or 4 runs a week. I don't run well on consecutive days, I seem to need that rest in between. I do gym classes, cycle, walk, weights etc on the off days and it really seems to be helping my speed much more than extra running would.

As you get more experienced hopefully things like your period won't bother you so much. I used to be very iffy if I hadn't eaten, or if it was too soon after I had eaten, etc. Now I just go for it whenever.

RubyLovesShopping Wed 30-Oct-13 20:47:50

Nae I think the first 10k I had done about 6-7 max in training. The next time I used the training routine I wrote further down the thread, can still remember how awful that last 2k felt and vowed never again. I think out of around 600 runners I was 543rd!!! Mortifying, some of them were much older than me but obvs much fitter. My time then was 1hr 10, I've since managed to get below 60 mins and once even 54 minssmile but now I always do more training.

Naebother Wed 30-Oct-13 22:41:25

Chops. That is really encouraging. Thank you.

Thanks Ruby. Id better try go get to 8 k at least then. Dont think i eill be doing 10k twice a week like you managed. 1hr 10 sounds like a good gime to me. Tbh i would be happy to run the 10k in 1hr 30min.

I'm going to be last aren't I!

Naebother Wed 30-Oct-13 22:43:11

travellingtime how is your training going?

Naebother Thu 31-Oct-13 09:22:31

Well wasn't able to do 6 k. In fact i struggled round 5 k route this morning. I ran it all but my legs felt like lead the while way. In fact all your words of encouragement helped me keep going, so thank you to you all.

My knee is feeling better so that's a plus. Plus I went out at. 6 am in the rain and ran. So i know now to just keep going!

Naebother Sat 02-Nov-13 21:36:53

Did 5k park run at 36 mins again. No way I could have run further today. Aiming for 8 k on Monday.

Naebother Mon 04-Nov-13 13:10:40

6k this morning in the dark, wind and rain. I only have 45 mins in the morning. I'm up at 6 am as dh has to leave at 730. I'm going to have to get longer runs in at weekends.

Still I keep thinking of what you said Mitchy, I'm still "building the km in my legs". Even with shorter runs.

I've only got 3 weeks to go.

My next run has to be longer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now