Running and darker nights - will I lose all I gained from C25k?

(18 Posts)
sleepwouldbenice Wed 06-Nov-13 00:20:34

I thought I would pop back to say thanks for all the support

At the moment I am doing a mix of probably running once a week, the indoor cycling and something else like a walk at the weekend or wii fit. The recent weather hasn't helped!

Have added the cycling (outdoor) to the list - no reason why I cant do this (need to get some hi viz stuff). Also hopeful as a couple of friends are doing a c25k ish thing so maybe I can persuade them to come with me in a month or two when they feel more confident. Trying to keep options going (so I don't get bored, know what I am like) and thanks Betsy for the reassurance that I wont have to start again! Have noticed a few night female runners so might give it a go as well but probably not a regular thing

Looked into running clubs but they all started early unfortiunately

Thanks again

BetsyBell Tue 15-Oct-13 17:46:22

I did c25k last year and stopped running as it got colder and darker. But I was incredibly pleased to find that come the spring I was able to get right back into the longer distances again.

I know that's not that helpful but if you are forced to give it up for a bit I thought it might be heartening to know you won't be back at square 1 (or week 1 day 1!) after a gap.

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Tue 15-Oct-13 17:39:49

I love running in the dark, it's lots of fun. But I stick to well lit, housing estates - routes that I would find boring in the day are much more interesting at night. Plus, you feel like you are running faster in the dark, which is a big help when you're plodding up a hill at a snails pace!

Any housing estates near you? They're perfect for night running.

Cycle instead?

Offcolour Sat 12-Oct-13 08:13:52

I don't feel safe running near my house due to cars/country lanes so I drive to nearest housing estate and keep to well lit main roads. It does spook me a bit but If I want to run then this is what I've got to do! Logically, it's no less safe than running in the morning and I'm used to it now. My husband had the 'find friends' app and he tracks me going round which makes me feel a bit better too.

presumably there will still be people at the pub you run past! grin

I really enjoy running in the dark, even though before I started Ithought it would be horrible.

Can you not just choose your routes to make sure they are not down small country lanes? Keep to roads that have pavements on them?

High vis is the way to go, and maybe a head torch (I run in the city and don't bother with a head torch, and worry people will think I am a bike from a distance)

sleepwouldbenice Fri 11-Oct-13 22:52:26

Yes logic says you can be attacked in the day too but I never claimed to be logical! I just feel more reassured in daylight by passing more walkers, people at the pub I run past, hearing people mow their lawn - there are more people about if this worst should happen

In terms of being unfit - when I have thought about it whilst running along in the day I have always considered myself a prime target as already too knackered to run very fast to escape!!! blush

Lazysuzanne Fri 11-Oct-13 11:49:40

I'd be nervous about running in the dark, (mostly because I'd feel 'spooked') but looking at it rationally aren't runners less likely to be mugged?
If I was a mugger I think I'd pick an unfit victim.

I not intending to be facetious here!

Grumpywino Fri 11-Oct-13 11:29:45

Why are you more scared of being attacked in the dark? Attacks happen in daylight too......I love running in the dark, high vis jacket, torch if I need it and off I go. I keep to road running rather than trail though.

sleepwouldbenice Wed 09-Oct-13 22:30:24

Thanks to all for your replies. It is the fear of being attacked I think - my current route is by a busy ish road then along country lanes - cant really do this so I would be down to planning a well lit route but I think I would still be too twitchy..!
Lunchtimes are out unfortunately - have half an hour as part of my long days deal. I could try a gym just want to make sure I got enough value - I just really liked the freedom of popping off when I was ready and doing what I wanted and being outdoors... sad

I think I will look into running clubs (as well as developing the mid week indoor cycling) - you never know! I just want to keep a certain level of fitness over the winter so I am not starting again in 6 months time!

Thanks again....

HaPPy8 Wed 09-Oct-13 12:01:29

Is there a running club near you? There is a women only one near me which is nice, and a few others, and they tend to have people of all abilities. Even if you cant get to the club at the set time every week, you might meet a running buddy?

Lazysuzanne Wed 09-Oct-13 09:56:39

Can you get to a gym to use the treadmill?

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Wed 09-Oct-13 08:15:06

Can you get out at lunchtime on one of your working days?

Judyandherdreamofhorses Wed 09-Oct-13 07:25:21

Same concerns here. I started c25k in June and have been running 5k 3x per week. I haven't managed to get out for two weeks, due to illness at the weekends and mornings/ nights being too dark. I've got reflective stuff but still can't do Devon country lanes it it. No streetlights near us either.

I'm hoping to do a swim midweek and two weekend runs. And eating less...

Khaleese Wed 09-Oct-13 07:16:56

I'm having a similar quandary, I find it frightening to run on the roads ( no pavement, 70 mph roads.)

I can do laps of our block with a small hill, it's a bit creepy in one section but I have dogs to keep me safe.

Have you any well lit areas that you could do laps?

Bring back the summer so much nicer.

eggyweggies Wed 09-Oct-13 01:01:28

What about a head torch and some mega reflective gear? Is it fear of the roads or fear of being attacked?

sleepwouldbenice Wed 09-Oct-13 00:52:51

Hi all

was very proud earlier this year to complete C25k in July from being a running novice. Was then running 2-3 times a week from 3 to 5 k each time. Probably two of these would have been about 8 at night when kids going to bed

But now I am worried about the darker nights and fitting it in? I prefer countryside routes and I am not sure I could run anywhere in the dark without worrying a little

I cant really do mornings as DH and I alternate getting up early to go to work so it would be a very early start. I work PT (mon to thurs long days) so at best can do twice a week (fri pm and sunday) but as I have less flexibility with time then sometimes its just not fitting in and I am down to one run a week.

I am trying to do some cycling indoors mid week as some sort of exercise. I know that I am not really cut out for exercise DVDs and have also not kept up swimming etc in the past - C25k is the only thing that has worked!

I can feel my fitness slipping already and I don't want to lose my momentum and end up back on the couch!

I might look at park running with others but it feels restrictive (ie you obviously have to be certain place certain time)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now