Running for someone with creaky knees and big boobs?

(29 Posts)
BadSeedsAddict Mon 30-Sep-13 08:09:57

I have both of the above. Does anyone else run despite having these? Do the creaky knees improve with exercise or would swimming be a better choice? Running is free though hmmalso, any positive experiences with exercise bras for HH cup mammaries would be appreciated!

rubyflipper Mon 30-Sep-13 18:48:29

Bumping for the evening crowd - and because I'd like to know too

BadSeedsAddict Mon 30-Sep-13 23:44:50

Thanks rubyflipper smile

supersalstrawberry Mon 30-Sep-13 23:52:38

I used to run and I have creaky knees and big boobs, I started with the couch to 5k (lots of threads on here about C25K) it starts you off slowly and builds up, alternating between running and walking, really found I quite enjoyed it.

I started C25K again recently but am just getting over the flu so had to stop, but as soon as I'm better I'll start again. I run with dd as I find having a running buddy motivates me and she WILL make me get up and go running when I'm slacking

I found my creaky knees coped ok, I have osteoarthritis, more creak than pain, if it got a bit uncomfortable I'd have an extra day in between runs (I ran 3 times a week).

Sports bra, buy a good one, if I'm honest the top tip I was given was to wear 2 bras, worked for me.

BadSeedsAddict Mon 30-Sep-13 23:59:41

Thanks supersal, I have two so will give that a go. Do you find the general exercise helps with the knees etc? Bit wary of wrecking my joints iyswim, I'm fairly overweight.

yerbabird Tue 01-Oct-13 00:01:48

na, try hula hooping x
worked for me!

VerySmallSqueak Tue 01-Oct-13 00:07:08

I think I would start with walking tbh and see if I could reduce my weight a little before running as extra weight is bound to put extra strain on knee joints.

If you opt for swimming,avoid breaststroke if you have dodgy knees.

There would be no harm in seeing the a nurse or doctor at your GP practice to get checked and ask for advice before you start.

Good luck though and I hope you find the right level and/or combination of exercise to begin with.

supersalstrawberry Tue 01-Oct-13 00:13:11

I found it really helped, ached a lot at first but lost weight, slept better, felt better, had more energy, wanted to do more exercise, started to do Jillian Micheals 30 day shred DVD (loads of info on here about that)as well as running after a while as I felt I wanted to do more, lost weight and toned up. I only stopped because I started a new job and just found it difficult to fit in, looking forward to starting again properly.

Don't scrimp on the warm up stretches and the cool down stretches, they really help with the muscle ache.

I am overweight, it's crept back on since I stopped the exercise, I'm asthmatic as well, I managed it smile give it a try, you won't know until you try it, but seriously look at couch to 5 k, I couldn't have just gone out and started running, probably would have ended up with an injury.

BadSeedsAddict Tue 01-Oct-13 00:13:37

Ooh, hula hooping - that sounds much more fun! Verysmallsqueak, thanks, that's what I was wondering. And annoying about the swimming as that's the only stroke I can do! Hadn't thought about that.

supersalstrawberry Tue 01-Oct-13 00:14:54

When I swim I do breast stroke but kick my legs iykwim

BadSeedsAddict Tue 01-Oct-13 00:15:39

Thanks supersal that's really encouraging! Got some exercise earphones and the couch to 5k app today. Will have a look at the DVD you mentioned too.

BadSeedsAddict Tue 01-Oct-13 00:16:58

The kicking thing (dog paddle kick instead of frog-like kick) sounds like a good idea too smile

CointreauVersial Tue 01-Oct-13 00:33:38

I can't help on the big boob front, but I have very creaky knees.

Running has made no difference to the creaks, but I do need to take care, wear good running shoes, run on even surfaces etc. or I am prone to knee injuries.

CointreauVersial Tue 01-Oct-13 00:34:16

Hey Supersal, long time no see!

supersalstrawberry Tue 01-Oct-13 01:01:36

Hello CV grin, thought I'd sneak back in smile

EBearhug Tue 01-Oct-13 01:14:17

I have been advised by a previous GP to avoid high-impact exercise like jogging or aerobics.

Some impact exercise is good, so try walking rather than running.

Swimming is also good low impact exercise, but ideally it should be combined with something like walking so you do get something which helps strengthen the bones. If you've got dodgy knees, you shouldn't do too much breaststroke - backcrawl and frontcrawl are better, as there's no twisting the knees to the side.

leonferao Tue 01-Oct-13 09:48:36

Hi BadSeedsAddict

Can I ask,

are you flat footed?
Do you wear heels often and/or have you in the past?

Thanks

Ishtar2410 Tue 01-Oct-13 09:55:42

I have big boobs and one creaky knee.

My advice: get a good bra (or two, as suggested upthread), and some decent running shoes. Start slow - there are plenty of C25k programmes around, the NHS podcasts are good, but you might find the music is not to your taste!

Stretching out afterwards will help keep legs supple.

Good luck, and have fun!

BadSeedsAddict Tue 01-Oct-13 10:10:12

Hi leonferao, I'm not flat footed and hate heels, have never really worn them! Ish, I put two sport bras on today and just completed the first bit of a Couch to 5k app grin took care to make it as low impact as possible, for my knees. Wasn't too hard and I enjoyed it! Thanks to all who replied w

BadSeedsAddict Tue 01-Oct-13 10:10:52

(Typo sorry)

Ishtar2410 Tue 01-Oct-13 10:41:22

grin Fab!

Lazysuzanne Tue 01-Oct-13 11:22:31

I've read/heard that the impact from running can strengthen the ligaments and tendons in your knees.

Clearly it's best not to over do it or run when you have injuries.

CMOTDibbler Tue 01-Oct-13 11:25:47

My colleague has enormous norks and will be doing her second marathon next year. She does two sports bras for that distance, but only one, really good, one for shorter runs.

I have creaky knees, and the physio says that they aren't damaged, just noisy (see physio for other things)

SaltySeaBird Tue 01-Oct-13 11:28:13

Used to have very creaky knees that clicked a lot too. Did the couch to 5k a few years ago and found they were a lot better. Did it again at the start of the year (took a break from running while pregnant) and the knees are still fine, in fact a lot better than three years ago.

That is just my personal experience but take it slow and you should be fine!

Peetle Tue 01-Oct-13 11:34:06

DW uses two sports bras which she swears by. We both have had knee issues and getting running shoes with lots of cushioning is a must (not all do so check/ask).

I find I have to keep running - if I get a good routine of a couple of runs a week going and then miss a couple of weeks, I have to build up the distance again. If I just go out and do another long run after a break (even if I can physically manage it) I can end up with a knackered knee or ankle.

And warm up by starting slowly, then stretch afterwards. It's a must.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now