Cycling Thread - All Peddlers and Pedallers welcome.

(589 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Mon 09-Sep-13 14:21:23

Have started a new thread as the other one is very nearly full.

minkGrundy Sun 25-Jan-15 23:58:08

elliptic i used to have a hybrid and was very happy until a year ago. Then suddenly ended up with more bikes. Still not convinced that more than one bike is necessary. Although I do love my road bike I am sure if I'd never had it I wouldn't miss it. And I am still happy with my trusty hybrid. But now I do have the rb I wouldn't be parted from it.

Elliptic5 Sun 25-Jan-15 20:29:36

Everyone is putting me to shame with all their lovely bikes, but I can get about quite well with my hybrid smile.
mink my area of Fife has a big network of cycle paths so we usually split our rides between those and the roads. DH and I went out on Saturday mostly on the cycle paths, we managed 14 miles but struggled a bit with some uphill rough track in the woods. Good to get out though.

minkGrundy Sun 25-Jan-15 15:56:03

pipkin i have thought about TT for a while. Local club does an all comers 10mile. Might give it a go this summer. Have to say they are pretty fast though.

elliptic i went clipless this summer, apart from a couple of amusing spd fails it has been great. Tried cycling the other day without being clipped in and it was just wrong. I am waiting for the spd pedals for my latest bike to arrive.

See you are in Fife. Nice roads there for cycling. Rolling and well surfaced. I am in midlothian. Road surfaces are shocking and views aren't as nice either so I come over to Fife a bit and out to Stirling.

minkGrundy Sun 25-Jan-15 15:38:52

I have a road bike which I love. Currently on the turbo and I miss it. I do as much road as I can in summer but have never managed to get into group cycling (lp so I tend to cycle when I can)

I have a commuter for work.

And I recently bought a mtb even though I know nothing about them. Theory is it will be extreme weather commuter in winter as have had several weeks of infrequent cycling due to ice.
And now I have a mtb I guess I will have to go trail riding. But at the moment the indexing needs fixed (not great at that) and the brakes need adjusting (no idea with disc brakes)

I am looking for a cycling challenge this year but have yet to settle on what. I'd quite like to do some kind of off road A to B thing (rather than round and round. I could do sportive but not sure that is far enough out of the comfort zone.

CMOT glad your descents are getting less exciting.

CMOTDibbler Sun 25-Jan-15 14:48:27

Hi, can I join in? I just have the two bikes - a Specialized hybrid and a Cannondale road bike, and I do a bit of triathlon (slowly) and shorter sportives (but getting longer). I ride (and swim obv) one handed due to disability, so am v happy to have finally got a 'operate two brakes from one lever' on the new road bike which makes descents a lot less exciting!

Just back from a nice 20 mile ride with ds(8) and dh. It was a bit parky outside, but a lot better than it would have been to go out with the club ride today which means leaving at 8.30.

FelixFelix Sun 25-Jan-15 12:45:25

Hi mink!

MeanwhileHighAboveTheField Sun 25-Jan-15 11:06:48

Road or mtb, minkGrundy? (or cx/track/bmx/fat/etc!)

minkGrundy Sun 25-Jan-15 10:35:47

ssmile i have a set with changeable lenses. Blue, pink for lowlight, and dark. 20 ish I think from wiggle.

minkGrundy Sun 25-Jan-15 10:33:46

Place marking. Didn't realise this was here.

My name in mink and I have too many bikeswink

minkGrundy Sun 25-Jan-15 10:31:41

Marking

MeanwhileHighAboveTheField Sun 25-Jan-15 10:28:51
Elliptic5 Sun 25-Jan-15 09:03:45

ssmile DH bought me a pair of clear Endura cycling glasses for Christmas, I'm pretty sure they are these ones. Got some good reviews and I find them quite good.

FelixFelix Sat 24-Jan-15 16:56:57

ssmile we are at PIL's this weekend and have brought the bikes up so we can go out for a ride, but I'm ill too so I don't know if we will make it out tomorrow either sad I was really looking forward to it too. Especially as we have a babysitter!

ssmile Sat 24-Jan-15 16:23:14

Anothe bug put paid to my cycling this week sad but my DH left the house Friday when -4c brrrr I was more worried about him hitting an icy patch but he texted to say he got to work ok but had seriously numb sore fingers despite his newish gloves so he has pulled out the ski gloves I will have to remind him to check he can still operate gears brakes ok grin hopefully this bloomin bug will clear and I can get back on the bike next week
I do want to get some clear Lens glasses have any of you found some ladies ones that not too costly? My DH bought me some dhb ones for Christmas but they don't fit my face. I've had a couple near misses with grit flying up whilst I cycle this winter and sunglasses are too dark.

FelixFelix Fri 23-Jan-15 09:41:46

Addicted is not the word grin

Sounds fab!! And it's good that you can use your existing bike for it too.

Pipkinhartley Fri 23-Jan-15 07:50:02

No TT bike! But will use my carbon one which has carbon wheels (spring/ summer use only!) but no other TT kit. The local women's league I've found runs a couple of novice events over the same TT course and those are simply to provide a taster - no extended bars, aero wheels, helmet etc allowed. You can use them for the non novice events, but I'll just see how I get on for a start!
Training wise it has made me rethink, I tend to just get out and put miles in but will now start doing a couple of shorter routes ( have a nice, fairly flat circular route of about 12ish miles that I'll start incorporating - will try and keep the pace up and see what sort of averages I can work on)
Your OH sounds slightly addicted! ( sort of understand that!)
Hope you get your bits of kit sorted!

FelixFelix Thu 22-Jan-15 09:31:46

Thanks pipkin I'll have a look. I kind of need some for this weekend (weather dependent) so might have to go to the local bike shop and see what they have. Although I don't have a helmet yet so that might be my biggest priority grin

Ooh does this mean you can get a tt bike? My DP is desperate for one, but he's compromised with some bars that clip on to his existing bike instead. He also NEEDS a cyclocross bike apparently, and then a track bike grin Sounds like a good challenge though, I'll be interested in seeing how your training goes.

Pipkinhartley Thu 22-Jan-15 09:19:11

Hi Felix, try Planet X for decent gloves, loads with good discount at the moment and it's important they fit you well, not only to keep you warm but also safety wise so you're able to use your gears/ brakes properly.
I'm also with your OH on the turbo, we've got one, but it's just not the same!
Slightly off kit topic, but still on cycling topic, anyone fancy trying time trialling this year or already have experience of it? Would love to hear from you if you have, I'm going to enter our local women's league this year over 10mile distance, will be interesting to see how training goes for that as will try and stick to a plan as opposed to just putting the miles in over longer distance

MeanwhileHighAboveTheField Wed 21-Jan-15 18:32:36

I must try to keep up with this thread!

I haven't been out for ages because of the snow and ice. Started running again instead though so enjoying that smile

FelixFelix Wed 21-Jan-15 15:49:09

Crafty I need gloves too. I can't borrow any of DP's as he has gigantic hands and mine are tiny. I'm considering just wearing normal stretchy gloves for now but they won't be waterproof.

FelixFelix Wed 21-Jan-15 15:47:41

Awful snow here, I haven't even bothered myself to trudge through the garden to the garage for the turbo trainer. We are going up to DP's parents this weekend so hoping they don't get snow as they can look after dd for a couple of hours and we can go for a ride at some point. I'm so worried about clipping in and out though!!

Bought some winter bib tights and a wind jacket from Rapha which arrived today. The tights are fleece lined and so comfy, I want to wear them forever grin

DP has his first ever race at the end of March so he's trying to train for that, but the weather is really messing things up for him. Apparently the turbo just doesn't cut it!

Elliptic5 Mon 19-Jan-15 08:53:40

My gloves were 50p from a boot fair, I bought them for walking the dog but decided to use them for cycling instead. They've been brilliant and keep my hands warmer than some expensive ones DH has.

Haven't managed to get out due to weather and work. Really must get some gloves - any recommendations?

Elliptic5 Sun 18-Jan-15 14:20:40

Managed to get out on the bike today for 14 miles, had to stick to the roads as we have snow and the cycle paths we tried were treacherous. My legs are still freezing after an hour in front of the fire, even my winter cycle trousers couldn't stop the icy wind.
Mind you I feel loads better for getting out smile.

Elliptic5 Fri 16-Jan-15 17:21:46

Gave up on the weather and just went to the local bike shop, got some summer weight padded capris to use for spin, and cycling when the weather improves. Saw some trainers with clips / cleats in their sale and splashed out on those as well, I thought that I can get used to them in spin and then maybe change the pedals on my bike and use them out if I'm brave enough.
Hoping to get out on the cycle paths for a couple of hours this weekend but there has been some flurries of snow in the last hour so I'm not holding my breath.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now