ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Cycling Thread - All Peddlers and Pedallers welcome.

(876 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Mon 09-Sep-13 14:21:23

Have started a new thread as the other one is very nearly full.

viridus Sun 20-Dec-15 13:41:18

This is a really interesting thread.
Has anyone got a fold up bike. I am thinking of buying one, to take on the train, then cycle about 8 miles from there. Has anyone got experience of them? I would be grateful for your views.

lavendersun Sat 05-Dec-15 06:55:52

Garage has to be easier doesn't it smile.

I used to do a lot of rowing. Post DD I bought a concept 2 for home because the gym is a good 15 mins drive away (was 30 mins when I bought it). It is now 10 years old and still used by both of us, a bit like the turbo trainer - no maintenance required and it is always there.

I prefer to get outside if at all possible (and because I work from home I can usually manage it) but DH uses the rower and the turbo a lot.

familygermsareok Fri 04-Dec-15 23:29:53

Ah, thanks for the tip about the mat. Cleaning my bike is not my strong point! I am thinking of finding a space in the garage as I think I might get too hot inside also.
Thanks for the advice, I will have a look at some and see. Have also been considering local gym and using their bikes, but motivating myself to go to the garage might be easier grin

lavendersun Thu 03-Dec-15 21:51:29

You can increase resistance family. Very easy to take on and off, I could do it without thinking once I had used it a few times.

DH's is a magnetic one, there are other sorts these days.

Must add that I stopped him using it in the house for a while because he left a trail of mud/grease on a rug shock from the back wheel. He bought a floor mat that solved the problem. So if you want to ride your bike inside as well as outside without cleaning it properly I would recommend a mat for dirt (and sweat).

familygermsareok Thu 03-Dec-15 20:49:06

Thanks lavendersun, I suspected it might be very boring! I'm really needing to find something to keep my cardio fitness from disappearing and thought I could maybe do bursts of HIIT on it in a spare 30 mins. I don't think I would have the mental stamina to pedal away continuously for a long time blush
Can you do this with a turbo trainer by increasing resistance or does that not really work? And is it fairly easy to take the bike on and off if I wanted an outside ride?
Unfortunately fast or hilly walking is also out for me sad Am plagued with Achilles tendonosis which is driving me mad!

lavendersun Tue 01-Dec-15 06:48:37

DH has a turbo trainer that is now 20 years old (can't remember the name but they sent him a replacement part free of charge recently under their lifetime guarantee so I would recommend the brand (will have a look at it if I remember later).

I have tried it more than a few times and find it mind numbingly boring so I don't bother with it. I even tried it in the conservatory with a view over the woods.

DH uses it in the winter (watches something on iplayer while he does it) in his bike shed grin. He doesn't mind it, he does find that after a couple of months in the shed/off the road any hills are really hard work for a while but then he probably does less too - 3 x 1 hour on the turbo vs 3 or 4 times up to 3 hours on the roads most weeks.

My alternative to riding is to walk the dog with nordic walking poles - hard work and I come home very sweaty!

familygermsareok Thu 26-Nov-15 20:42:36

Hi, can I ask some advice please? I haven't done much cycling till recently (usually a runner but injured currently so taken up cycling). With bad weather it's been difficult to get out. I was wondering about a turbo trainer to try and keep my fitness up. Anyone use one or have any advice on this? Thanks.

lavendersun Wed 04-Nov-15 06:26:21

Thanks Chops - yes, I think I need a local friend, how to find one though grin.

No decent bike shops for 25 miles.

The CTC rides are OK, no women at all on recent meets, only several old men and I hadn't met anyone before on last week's ride! Am a bit reluctant to drive miles for their rides on my own, different when DH is here, but I think we probably have a nicer time on our own tbh.

I need to accost the woman I see sometimes as she is obviously very local (DH calls her my competition smile).

Chopstheduck Wed 04-Nov-15 05:46:16

I used to get the miles in by cycling anywhere I needed to be. Varying routes helps for me too. It's a shame there aren't any groups near where you are. Maybe you need to train as a Breeze champion and lead your own rides! No bike shops around that run rides?

I cycle either with Breeze or with a friend. My friend is fiendishly fast though, so I do quite enjoy getting out once in a while on my own so I can take the hills at my own pace and not worry about slowing her down. I'm often faster on the flat too.

We went out for 40 miles yesterday. Def noticing how much colder it is now, even with plenty of layers! 40 miles seems to be about my comfortable limit atm, I went out to surrey and Box hill last weekend and didn't warm up until the climb.

lavendersun Tue 03-Nov-15 15:03:24

I am completely bored of cycling on my own on the roads already now that the weather has changed sad.

I saw the only female cyclist I ever see this morning (I was in my car) on my close to home route. Wanted to ask her what keeps her motivated but I was driving and she was riding.

I lose my bike next week (Fri), goes for a respray. DH said he can strip it down on Thursday evening so we can fit a ride in but I was hoping that my new frame would be here - no such luck, frame not finished yet and wheels not started.

My aim is for 60-75 miles a week, this week I will achieve 20, poor effort indeed and I could have made the time for three rides rather than one if I am honest. Didn't fancy the fog yesterday. Rode today, might squeeze in another one but I doubt it. If I had someone to ride with I would be fine.

I really can't face the turbo trainer I find it mind numbing. Good news is that DH is home for a week next week so we will ride together.

Any motivational tips? How do you drag yourself out on a cold grey day on your own. Think this is the problem. Never ever refused to ride my horse in the worst of weathers because she is like a friend.

Oddly I am quite a solitary person too - just hate the roads on my own.

RudyMentary Fri 23-Oct-15 21:46:59

Thanks Beaboo I may just but one put it on my Christmas list. I quite fancy the Violet.

BeaBoo Fri 23-Oct-15 07:45:43

I don't have one Rudy but my DP has one too and loves it. It definitely seems like a worthwhile investment for winter.

RudyMentary Fri 23-Oct-15 07:34:59

I've managed to commute by bike every day this week.
I'm off next week so hoping to get some long rides in.

I'm debating investing in one if the Gabba jerseys as DH loves his - anyone on here got one?

lavendersun Wed 21-Oct-15 18:09:57

Bit quiet on the cycling thread! Haven't managed to get out since Friday, have had to crack on with work ..... because I am going away on Friday - yay.

Hope everyone else is doing more than I am .... happy half term smile.

lavendersun Wed 14-Oct-15 16:43:54

No Breeze rides Chops, I checked, nearest one is 30 miles away but mostly at the weekends when I am here with DD. If DH is home I have got the two of them for company.

I work from home mostly and can juggle my day to fit a morning or afternoon ride in a couple of times a week.

I like the oldies at the CTC though, am all for cake and lunch etc, just need to make an effort to drive somewhere where I can manage the ride (and the time). They meet every Thursday at 11 which suits me time wise but the drive means it takes a whole day rather than riding as billy no mates when I can do something decent in 90 mins or so.

I need to become a lady of leisure I think boring though.

Chopstheduck Wed 14-Oct-15 16:11:41

riding with friends is far more fun. I never usually mtb alone, as I worry about having an off and being out in the middle of the forest on my own. Are there any Breeze rides in your area? I lead Breeze rides and they are great fun, usually very social.

lavendersun Wed 14-Oct-15 10:17:39

Wow Chops - sounds impressive.

If I am honest I don't enjoy riding my bike on the road by myself. Not when I look at the woods and byways and know that not so long ago I would be on/in them on my lovely horse - if she were a person we would be friends, she is lovely.

I find it a bit boring tbh and hate cars (although I only saw 6 in 15 miles yesterday). I am going to have to make myself drive all over the county to do the Thursday rides with the CTC through the winter, if I do those and ride with DH that will do.

I would love to get a young horse tbh but we could move abroad for a couple of years - can't decide atm. I have shipped horses round the world before and it is stressful and expensive, hence a new bike for now.

Chopstheduck Wed 14-Oct-15 07:07:12

ooh I like bats! grin

I'm not so fond of road biking in winter - the wind really bites and it isn't always very pleasant. I tend to switch to more mountain biking - it's more sheltered by the trees, more technical and it's fun getting muddy!

I'm doing a Grim Duathlon end of the month - 5/20/5k in mud and water grin. Having been so busy with work I hadn't run in a few months. Went out Sunday and was relieved to find I can still run 5k in 33 minutes, and I'm going mtbing tomo for the first time since before the summer holidays! I haven't been since I had an off on a red run and pringled a wheel - just not had chance since I fixed the bike. I can't wait to get out there.

lavendersun Tue 13-Oct-15 20:40:26

.... the coast is off. I just don't fancy it - I really think it will be too far for me. DH is home Thursday and Friday, rain and 11 degrees both days.

I rode today, made myself go in the rain and cold, didn't want to but if I don't get a couple of rides in DH murders me on our longer rides so I know that the pain is worth it.

I think it is going to be hard to keep it up in the winter. DH has got a turbo trainer, not sure I fancy it - so boring.

I might have to resort to the rowing machine in the barn but THE BARN HAS GOT BATS shock, I hate the bloody things, they whizz around above your head in a menacing fashion.

lavendersun Tue 06-Oct-15 19:07:38

No unexpected hills Chops. I will request a tyre change I think - fine for DH on his bikes that are meant to go much faster than mine in every possible way.

5 weeks to my new mtm frame. I am excitedly choosing parts. DH wants me to go for capable and functional (is a tourer) but I have ordered a few pretty capable functional who cares bits from velo orange

Chopstheduck Tue 06-Oct-15 16:55:49

I think you will be fine lavender - I'd just check that it's not got massive hills or anything, and go for it!

lavendersun Tue 06-Oct-15 10:07:22

I sing to my highly strung semi-retired horse Chops, constantly, although I am not sure she would approve of raucous tandem style singing grin.

DH wants us to cycle to the beach next week when he is at home and DD is at school - 70 miles on quiet roads. He reckons I can manage it but I am slightly concerned that I won't want to leave the pub after lunch for the return trip.

I have looked at training schedules (not that I am interested in them for training per se) and they reckon that if you are doing 25 miles 3 x a week you should be up to 75 miles once a week.

I have been managing 3 x 23/30 miles most weeks so could be ok. He said that in the worst case scenario he could drive back with the car to get me, leaving me in a coffee shop grin, clearly he is keen!

Chopstheduck Mon 05-Oct-15 15:44:42

I had a lad on a course last week who kept singing Queen's 'I want to ride my bicycle'! gringrin

lavendersun Mon 05-Oct-15 07:59:20

Clearly for us it is 'Daisy, Daisy ....... on a bicycle made for two'!

Chopstheduck Sun 04-Oct-15 21:26:34

what's wrong with singing?! I was singing 'The sun has got his hat on' with a learner today! grin

must admit bikeability does lack consideration for rural roads! normally no path means no go which limits us somewhat.

Went to the big evans cycle sale today at Gatwick. Had to gag myself as two salesmen were trying to sell a punter a bike too small for his son then help another bloke get his wheel off his bike in the car park to get it in the car. I walked past him but couldnt help myself and had to go back and help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now