Plantar fasciitis - how to speed up recovery?

(35 Posts)
MrsMargoLeadbetter Sun 18-Aug-13 22:38:12

Have developed plantar fasciitis which causes pain in my heel. I think probably due to weight gain in pregnancy as I was already overweight. Want to start exercising in order to help reduce my weight, so an injury is v annoying!

Have been to sport massage person as he helped me with a previous running injury when physio didn't help. He has given me some exercises ( my calf was v tight on the effected leg), suggested I buy a heel cup and use anti inflam gel etc.

I just wondered if any MNtters had any tips to speed up recovery? And did you run with it? Views on running forums are mixed.

TIA

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 19-Aug-13 17:30:38

I have had it twice and both times when I was heavier. I ride my bike or swim as part of my weight loss programme and also make sure I have very good trainers....I never ran when it was painful no....

VegasIsBest Mon 19-Aug-13 17:46:52

Ask your GP if you can be referred to a podiatrist. They can make you inserts for your shoes that help recovery and reduce the pain. It helps to wear very sensible shoes for months (trainers or Ecco type shoes).

It can take months or years to improve unfortunately.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Mon 19-Aug-13 20:19:08

Thanks both.

I think I probably knew that I shouldn't run but just wondered if anyone had managed to find a miracle cure etc!

I did attempt a DVD today and it started hurting so I stopped.

Wearing my verging-on-orthopaedic Brooks trainers for overpronation made me realise how lacking in support most of my summer footwear is. At least it is heading to autumn so I can wear sensible shoes.

Thanks for the podiatrist suggestion Vegas, will look into it.

Off to the pool it is!

ProphetOfDoom Mon 19-Aug-13 20:33:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BoozyBear Mon 19-Aug-13 21:38:19

you'll get conflicting opinion.
personally i love the betula birkenstocks footwear as they have a shaped sole.

But going into the winter months, i cant speak enough for a decent set of shoe inserts and a good pair of flat shoes.

I had it really badly 2 years ago and i wore my insoles or birkies for 6 months solid and it had gone. It back 12 mo later, but i'm heavy and i have a habit of walking barefoot!

Basically, dont walk around barefoot, good insoles/shoes, exercises and anti-inflammatory painkillers.

SizzleSazz Mon 19-Aug-13 21:41:54

i've had it a year so far and had podiatory treatment, strapping, inserts etc. If it doesn't go soon i may go for the steriod injections (although these are not risk/pain free)

holidaysarenice Mon 19-Aug-13 21:47:30

Never walk around barefoot.
Non weight bearing exercises to keep you fit instead.

Good supportive trainers.
Always sort out your overpronation.

Ankle/foot stretches - see a physio they will advise, possible do frictions, manual treatment or ultrasound or inject.

FourGates Mon 19-Aug-13 21:55:14

ProphetOfDoom Mon 19-Aug-13 21:57:57

ShimmeringInTheSun Mon 19-Aug-13 22:01:12

Getting out of bed in the morning is a vital time to make sure you're aware of your Plantar Fasciitis, as obviously you are putting your full weight on your feet, after they have been resting and healing all night during sleep.
So take it steady, don't leap onto them, and that way there is less risk of causing any damage. All the other suggestions /advice is good too.

Oh, and a ridged foot pedi roller is very useful as well. You can get one from Boots for around a fiver, and it works best by placing on a hard floor and rolling your bare foot over it, thus massaging the sole of the foot, helping to keep it supple.

LifeofPo Mon 19-Aug-13 22:02:45

Leo35 Mon 19-Aug-13 22:04:29

I found the shoe inserts (Dr Scholls available from Boots) useful, in all possible footwear even wellies if gardening. Visit(s) to a physio both for treatment and advice on how to help it at home. On physio's advice I bought a tennis ball to massage my heel and foot on, then rested my feet above my head to let the blood flow away from them, taking away the waste from the damaged muscles.

It does take a while to clear up but I found using all the means of improving it has worked. Best of luck and hope it clears soon.

BTW. I am running once again and find that it doesn't bother me at all when exercising.

bruffin Mon 19-Aug-13 22:05:10

Chiropodist advised
10 minutes ice 2x day
Ibroprufen for two weeks
Never walk barefoot on hard floor
Soft sold shoes such as fitflops etc

It worked for me in about 2 weeks. I had got to the stage of not even being able to walk more than 10 mins

BoozyBear Mon 19-Aug-13 22:08:57

if you haven't got a roller or ball, just sitting and gently massaging the sole of your foot with the heel of your hand, and especially where your arch joins your heel before you get up and about will help.

you'll know the sore spot when you find it, it feels like a pulled muscle, and over the day, you'll probably need to do it if you've been sitting for a while too.

i'm bad for walking barefoot, i hate shoes, so i keep my birkies nearby to slip my feet into!

Gilbertus Tue 20-Aug-13 07:40:05

Lots of helpful comments here. Mine is agony at the moment. I dread getting out of bed. A lot of people recommend fit flops. Do they really help? I find my trainers are the most comfortable and my birkies hurt but they are better than nothing. Wore converse yesterday with insoles and now = agony. sad they aren't heel insoles, just some full sole ones I happened to have. I've seen some in boots that seem to suggest they help plantar fasciitis. At 25 quid I am reluctant to try them.

janeyjampot Tue 20-Aug-13 07:54:22

I think fitflops help. I always wear them or Birkenstocks now. I try to wear shoes all the time, especially if I'm doing something like ironing where I'm standing for a long time.

I found the stretching exercises I'd been given initially by my gp were actually counterproductive when the podiatrist explained that hyper mobility and a poor sense of balance were contributing to the problem by making my feet work very hard to keep me upright!

I second the advice about the steroid injection. I had one at my gp. It was incredibly painful and had no positive effect.

Hope it improves soon.

BoozyBear Tue 20-Aug-13 12:24:25

gilbertus, the scholl insoles are expensive but they work, they're well worth the money spent, if you think you could be wearing them for 6mo or more every time you walk, they earn their cost in pain relief!

BoozyBear Tue 20-Aug-13 12:25:06

janey, i dont like the stretching exercises, i find the massage works much better in the morning!

Gilbertus Tue 20-Aug-13 13:31:35

Sometimes (like this morning) it is so painful I can't even lay with my foot on the side, let alone massage!! Touching it is agony! I have my horrible trainers on now and it's painful still but bearable.

BoozyBear Tue 20-Aug-13 14:08:55

oh, mine hurts like hell, but the way i see it, i'd rather hurt myself massaging my feet and taking my time than be unable to get up and walk if i need to check the kids in their bedrooms.

i start as soon as i wake up by gently flexing my feet, spreading my toes while rotating my ankle.. then i move to sit up and then sitting with my feet laid on their sides in front of me and i very gently rub my fingers from the base of my heel up to my toes, and carefully push my toes back just a bit, then i bring my hand back the other way down the arch of my foot and up towards my inner ankle.

i repeat this a couple of times just to take the initial pain and tightness out, then i use my fingers to concentrate on massaging my sore spots.. my worst is where my arch joins my heel on the inner ankle side, still being gentle.. its like massaging a very sore muscle, and i just gradually increase the pressure until the pain eases and the tightness lessens.

Then i might try putting my feet in my birkies by the side of my bed to stand up!

LifeofPo Tue 20-Aug-13 14:11:49

BoozyBear Tue 20-Aug-13 14:18:24

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRpeiRLPUDw

here, this is a really good video

BoozyBear Tue 20-Aug-13 14:26:25
ameet1983 Tue 20-Aug-13 19:39:14

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now