Anyone fancy starting Couch to 5K on Monday 5th Aug?

(691 Posts)
workatemylife Tue 30-Jul-13 10:39:24

I have not run for YEARS. In the last 18 months I have lost a lot of weight through diet and exercise (walking), and, it would appear, breastfeeding. But I'm back at work, LO isn't drinking me dry any more, my diet is not all that it could be, and the weight is sneaking back on. I don't have the opportunity for long buggy walks with a gurgling baby to toddler groups and playparks, but I do try to cycle to work to get a bit of exercise, although probably not enough. A couple of friends do Park Run eack weekend and I'd love to join them, but at the moment I suspect it would be Park Huff and Puff before Collapsing rather than actually a RUN blush.

I'm planning to start a C25K plan on Monday next week, and would love some (virtual) run buddies until I feel brave / fit enough to run with real people as well. I've seen some positive comments about the plan on here, although I think I'm still a little hmm about whether it is possible to progress like that through the weeks and actually get as far as a 5K. Still nothing ventured nothing gained.

I have running shoes somewhere at the back of the wardrobe, but might need to invest in some suitable clothing, and have a weekend of overindulgence lined up. So Monday is the day I think. First Monday of the month, and counting. I'll put a big ring around a late Sept Park Run on the calendar and start counting.....

Anyone care to join me?

lurkingfromhome Wed 31-Jul-13 13:35:44

Well done! You definitely feel better after than during, that's for sure grin.

Well done workatemylife

And Maggietess, I am so unfit it's untrue. I have done the odd exercise class since my DS was born 22 months ago. I've never run before and would go as far as to say I "can't" run, but I'm giving it a go. Come join us!

Maggietess Wed 31-Jul-13 15:42:43

Thanks lloveaglassofwine.... My other problem is I love a glass of wine!! Will have to knock that on the head too.

Going to head out this evening and leave DH to do bedtime grin ulterior motive wink . If u hear no more from me call an ambulance!!

Maggietess Wed 31-Jul-13 15:43:18

Thanks lurkingfromhome!

watchingout Wed 31-Jul-13 17:18:07

Can I just butt in and offer some inspiration to any doubters?

I am 45 and two months ago couldn't run a bath... I started c25k on 1st June and I am now running between 4.5 and 5 km. Just about to "graduate" as I did w9r2 this morning grin.

I too am a bit obsessed with tracking progress and I've used the MaymyRun app (although I've heard that run keeper is just as good) MMR plots your runs (or any type of activity) on a calendar and you see where and how far you've been. Hasn't cost me a penny (so far..)

I struggled with week 7 for some reason, but it all came right again in week 8

One tip - if you buy new trainers, it's worth getting some anti blister socks. Double layered (tesco!) £3 for two prs. my only 'injury' has been one mahoosive blister which was helped by Compeed plasters

Just hear to say "trust the program". I had doubts initially but stuck with it and I'm sooo pleased I did. A convert in two months gringrin

Levantine Wed 31-Jul-13 17:20:58

I'd like to do it. What do I need to know?!

nextphase Wed 31-Jul-13 19:47:17

Levantine
Uncover a pair of trainers, shorts and teeshirt.
Download an app or pod cast for c25k - I've got the free NHS one, but others use apps which allow you to choose your own music.
Have a think about where you can walk for 30 mins, find some time, and off you go!
Trust the program. It builds up to keep you stretching yourself, but with improved fitness.

redwellybluewelly Wed 31-Jul-13 20:08:34

Just another app for the app hungry crowd - I've downloaded one called hydro which promotes good hydration. I find that really helps me to drink enough and without drinking enough I simply cannot exercise efficiently.

Berniebennett Wed 31-Jul-13 20:16:25

Well I've been good, my first run since having my little mister (although I didn't use c25k, please don't throw me of the thread) 3k in 21 minutes, so this is my starting place now!

I forgot how hard it is but feel so good when u get home an u can sit and relax without feeling guilty!!! congrats on everyone that's don't the first run....good luck to everyone else. Keep us updated!! xx

watchingout Wed 31-Jul-13 20:25:22

Waves at Nextphase!

And don't forget a sports bra Levantine! I was running on the spot in a changing room last weekend until I realised I could just bounce my knees and avoid the squeaky floorboard

nextphase Wed 31-Jul-13 20:45:17

Hi Watching, yes, that sports bra is vital...
I really should have known that....

RhondaJean Brazil Wed 31-Jul-13 20:47:48

I'd like to join you starting on the Wednesday!

I'm not a great runner usually but I love the gym and kickboxing and I was doing really well with my running til 8 weeks ago when I tore my calf muscle. I'm ready to get stuck back in now (all clear from Physio yesterday) but I am being taken away Monday/Tuesday for my birthday so Wednesday will be d day. That ok?

redwellybluewelly Wed 31-Jul-13 22:22:27

Um. Houston we have a problem. Baby welly is breastfed and I can't get my giant breasts into my sports bra! In fact I think it's going to take major new £££ to find a suitable reinforced bra. Any suggestions?

Maggietess Thu 01-Aug-13 00:40:50

Ok nobody phoned my ambulance angry angry... In all seriousness, the flooding got pretty intense here (nect door had sandbags) so I didn't want to be the wimp that wussed out on her first night but it was chucking it and then some.
So ive postponed starting til tomorrow night and instead had the sisters bros and in laws round for the night with takeaway and wine... Ooh the shame I know!! promise I'll start tomorrow

Maggietess Thu 01-Aug-13 00:46:04

redbelly I swear bravissimo go up to bigger than the whole world size in sports bras... I've been there... Give them a go!

nextphase Thu 01-Aug-13 08:37:35

I've recently taken delivery of this Goes to a hh in some back sizes. Any use?
Not the fastest delivery in the world, but no complaints about the company.

lurkingfromhome Thu 01-Aug-13 09:09:44

Well done berniebennett - sounds like you're way ahead of us already if you're actually running a full 3K <bows down in awe before you> grin.

And welcome RhondaJean

Maggietess, I think going out when it was raining enough for sandbags might have been above and beyond the call of duty!! I'll be going out tomorrow so join me then smile

I must admit my willpower hasn't been tested yet as it is usually warm and sunny in the mornings here, then clouds over and starts pelting by the afternoon. It will be interesting to see if I'm so evangelical about it all when I have to go out in the rain...

watchingout - thanks for the tips! What do you plan to do when you graduate? I ask because the first time I ran seriously, I worked up to a 5K, kept going until I did the Race for Life, then literally the next day I lost all motivation and didn't run again for 2 years. The next time, same again but worked up to a 10K, did the race, then didn't run again until this week. And that was about ten years ago. How do you stay motivated to make it a habit and something that you just do for fun/exercise, rather than a goal to work towards to? I am determined not to give up this time!

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Thu 01-Aug-13 09:18:18

I'm a 30g and wear an Enell sports bra; it's like a straitjacket by the time you fasten all the hook and eyes down the front - but my boobs are rock-solid and I even look normal-chested in it!

Maggie, if you're worried about the c25k being too much, there's no shame in starting with 30 sec runs. That's the programme I'm supposed to be doing. I'm 50 with scoliosis and an arthritic hip and I've been a lazy arse for years.
The difference is that, from the start, you always make sure your session lasts at least 40 mins including warm-up and cool-down walking. PM me if you'd like more details.

Maggietess Thu 01-Aug-13 11:06:06

Thanks shotgun I'll see how I get on tonight!

lurkingfromhome Thu 01-Aug-13 17:50:34

Good luck to everyone venturing out tonight, especially if it's W1R1 grin. I'll be going tomorrow morning and will report back.

My tactic is to leave out all my running gear on my desk, piled in front of my monitor, so that I have no choice but to put it on, just in case it's raining and my motivation fails me ... grin

JamEyelid Thu 01-Aug-13 21:04:17

Hello can I join?

I have done week one day two so far (using the run, zombies c25k trainer.) I had to buy a sports bra after the first run. Ouch!

TallyGrenshall Thu 01-Aug-13 21:22:50

I'm just back from my first run. It's bloody hot out there still, I don't think I've ever been so sweaty! grin

Stilk, thats the hardest one done so onwards

MsMunch Thu 01-Aug-13 21:36:00

Well sitting here eating Pringles and downing gin tells you my preferences but yeah yeah don't want to be 40+ and unfit gasping after the kids. So can I join please?

Started this week, done the first three runs and am enjoying it. Kind of. Injured my leg yesterday in an unrelated incident but hope to get week 2 on track.

Plan to do the odd gym session and maybe shred. Am 5 ft 7 and 9.8 after dropping nearly two stone. Been this weight before and was fit and looked great...no longer am made of crepe paper and it is trying to contain a landslide. Maybe running will help with age and gravity...

Just back from w1r3 <gets lingo>, I really do hope it gets easier as i get fitter.

dottypyjamas Fri 02-Aug-13 08:01:24

Phew it's getting warm out - w1r2 done this morning, was ok but was still stiff and a bit achey from weds!nice one ilove - next run Sunday?

Off to a buggyfit class this morning too - I must be mad!

Although main priority is to get fit, I've taken my measurements and weighed myself so will weigh in again on 1 Sept to see how I'm doing, hopefully this'll keep me going!

Anyone else out for a run today?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now