Anyone fancy starting Couch to 5K on Monday 5th Aug?

(691 Posts)
workatemylife Tue 30-Jul-13 10:39:24

I have not run for YEARS. In the last 18 months I have lost a lot of weight through diet and exercise (walking), and, it would appear, breastfeeding. But I'm back at work, LO isn't drinking me dry any more, my diet is not all that it could be, and the weight is sneaking back on. I don't have the opportunity for long buggy walks with a gurgling baby to toddler groups and playparks, but I do try to cycle to work to get a bit of exercise, although probably not enough. A couple of friends do Park Run eack weekend and I'd love to join them, but at the moment I suspect it would be Park Huff and Puff before Collapsing rather than actually a RUN blush.

I'm planning to start a C25K plan on Monday next week, and would love some (virtual) run buddies until I feel brave / fit enough to run with real people as well. I've seen some positive comments about the plan on here, although I think I'm still a little hmm about whether it is possible to progress like that through the weeks and actually get as far as a 5K. Still nothing ventured nothing gained.

I have running shoes somewhere at the back of the wardrobe, but might need to invest in some suitable clothing, and have a weekend of overindulgence lined up. So Monday is the day I think. First Monday of the month, and counting. I'll put a big ring around a late Sept Park Run on the calendar and start counting.....

Anyone care to join me?

Tinwe Mon 14-Oct-13 22:05:24

Oh no! My post has been eaten! hmm Glad to see I haven't killed the thread grin

I was saying I'd be pleased with your times Lurking. You're consistent and are focused, I'm impressed. My times are all over. I achieved the 5k/30mins thing but only by really knocking myself out and doing a Paula �� I'm not anywhere near that level in general.

Well done Working! A great come back run. You're doing well with your home made improvement programme.

I've lost my mojo Working. I ran on Saturday but the first time in a week and very slow. I have only done a part run today as I went to a gym induction and the treadmills were full so I did 30 mins cross trainer and 15 mins on the treadmill. I suppose it's at least keeping me fit smile

lurkingfromhome Mon 14-Oct-13 22:49:53

I signed up for a 10k next May so cannot lose my mojo even if I want to grin. I am finding that I have to keep going out every other day - I feel that if I miss a run it will prove fatal as I will take up residence on the sofa and stay there for good. And I am enjoying the feeling of being fitter than I have been for years.

What can we do to get your mojos back? Anything?

Tinwe Tue 15-Oct-13 07:37:13

It's the running in the dark problem Lurking (as well as family issues but I can't solve those). Hopefully I'll get into treadmill running at the gym now I'm inducted (good for keeping my pace steady too) but I'm slightly concerned about how much easier it is than road running as shown by the calories! grin We have a big event this weekend so will be hard to work out then but normal routine should be resumed after that.

Tinwe Tue 15-Oct-13 07:43:35
Tinwe Tue 15-Oct-13 07:55:04
slev Tue 15-Oct-13 21:06:06

Hmm, bit of a mojo problem here too - I think letting myself have a night off meant I lost my routine a bit and found it hard to motivate myself again. I'm another one who needs to go out every other day so it just becomes habit. Plus it was raining all weekend which didn't help.

Anyway, went out tonight and ran 5.24k in 30 minutes - think my average was 5.45 min/k if those maths work out - haven't got my phone in front of me but it was something like that. Which is W9R2 completed - yes, I still haven't actually graduated!

lurking all respect to you for signing up to the 10k - I'm still wussing out of the parkrun! But I WILL do the 5k to 10k programme by Christmas (ish) - assuming I actually finish C25K...

lurkingfromhome Wed 16-Oct-13 09:03:20

It's hard, though, isn't it? I missed yesterday's run because (a) I had a huge and unexpected deadline at work (b) I had to wait in for a delivery all morning and (c) in the afternoon it was pelting with rain and I couldn't face it. Going out today, though, although it's hard to motivate myself.

I agree that I have to push myself and just go out every other day but I do need to find a bit of inner motivation that gets me to the point where it's just second nature. I don't want to be in the frame of mind where I miss one run and then feel like I am on the verge of packing it all in.

Aaargh. This is much harder now than it was when we couldn't actually run! I am going to start 5to10k on Monday just to give myself some goals again.

lurkingfromhome Wed 16-Oct-13 13:58:17

I just did today's 5k in 30 minutes and 1 second, thereby shaving 2.5 minutes off my PB in one fell swoop. I have literally no idea how that happened and am assuming a GPS failure on my phone grin.

Hoping that increases my motivation for Friday. I did feel great afterwards but am not finding it so easy to go out in the first place. Must just keep making myself do it.

workatemylife Thu 17-Oct-13 18:45:21

Wow lurking!! Don't assume the worst - it could just be that you hit a good rhythm. Fantastic !

i failed to run yesterday but found time for cake confused

today I gave myself a kick up the backside and did a 28.14 5k. Wishing I had put in a long effort now - the perils of no set plan and all the other factors we discussed this week. Grrr. Just waiting for snow now to thwart my efforts further!

Tinwe Fri 18-Oct-13 06:53:50

Well done Slev! Have you graduated yet?

Well done Workate, brilliant shaving there grin

I've not been able to go out for family issues reasons and I'm off to a B and B tonight for a wedding tomorrow so no run til at least Sunday confused

lurkingfromhome Fri 18-Oct-13 09:59:51

I should be going out today but am just too busy (I know, I know...). I will go out tomorrow, though, but I can feel my motivation beginning to slip away now that i don't have a programme to stick to.

I think I'm going to have to start 5to10k next week if only to keep myself going out. Will probably start another thread and see if there are any other recent graduates lurking aorund the boards who fancy giving it a shot.

Sorry you're having trouble going out, tinwe. Enjoy your wedding! And well done, workate, another brilliant time!

slev Sat 19-Oct-13 18:58:33

I've finished! Just got back from my last run and I managed 5.54k in the 30 minutes so definitely feel I've graduated. Although it's a bit of an anticlimax really - the last couple of weeks have been a real struggle what with work and bad weather giving me excuses not to run so I think I lost my enthusiasm for this programme -especially as I'd already done the 5k!

Anyway, onwards and upwards - weather permitting I'll start 5 to 10k on Monday!

workate and lurking congratulations to both of you on some fab times - I think we can definitely say we're Proper Runners now. And tinwe I wouldn't get too worried - I've had breaks and I think as long as you get yourself out in the end, sometimes the rest probably does you good.

Tinwe Mon 21-Oct-13 07:43:57

Well done Slev! I never doubted you'd sail through graduation grin ����

Who's starting 5-10k today? I've just got over the wedding this weekend and have eaten junk for days and not even thought about exercise for a week again. Today I restart! On a worrying note though my knee remains a big annoying problem. I took the girls to soft play and really struggled to help them as I couldn't crawl as it was too painful �� I've discovered it's only my left knee that's sore to touch and super crunchy but it's still sore after a weeks rest. It's the one I broke years ago. I haven't tried icing it as I don't know when to do it. Before exercise, after exercise or every day?

lurkingfromhome Mon 21-Oct-13 08:59:01

Well done, slev. Fantastic news that you've graduated (even though you did the 5k what seems like months ago). Good to make it official, though.

I went out on Saturday and did 5K in 31.5 so my second-best ever time, although not especially brilliant. However, the last two runs have been every third day and not every second, and I did feel the difference. I have to try and push myself to get out every other day, no matter how busy things are.

With that in mind, I'm starting 5to10 today. tinwe, I have another thread going here that I started last week to announce that I'd be starting and try to drum up some interest. Come and join us there if you can.

Sorry, though, that your knee is still playing up. You need to ice it three or four times a day for about 15 minutes each time, if at all possible. Never before exercise (as that will just cool down all the muscles, which you don't want to do) but as soon as you stop exercising get the ice pack on. Do you have the velcro sleeve thing with the gel pack? I used that and it is much easier as you can go about your business and not have to sit down with a bag of frozen peas dripping down your leg grin

Have you thought about trying a deep tissue massage? Not cheap, but I found it really helped.

workatemylife Mon 21-Oct-13 14:18:09

Hurray slev. What a great way to finish - an official graduation even if, as the others have said, you were 'there' already grin grin

I've not been for a run since Thursday last week so I really need to get myself out of the house today. I might wander over and join you informally on lurking's new thread. This one is getting longer and longer but with just the four of us. Lovely, but let's get some more folks involved again.

Hope the weekend was fun tinwe and that your family were impressed by your athletic figure as you sprinted for the cake grin

slev Tue 22-Oct-13 09:20:37

Thanks everyone - and yes, I've wandered over to lurking's new thread - workate come and join us!

And tinwe - hope you got lots of compliments on The Dress!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now