Anyone fancy starting Couch to 5K on Monday 5th Aug?

(691 Posts)
workatemylife Tue 30-Jul-13 10:39:24

I have not run for YEARS. In the last 18 months I have lost a lot of weight through diet and exercise (walking), and, it would appear, breastfeeding. But I'm back at work, LO isn't drinking me dry any more, my diet is not all that it could be, and the weight is sneaking back on. I don't have the opportunity for long buggy walks with a gurgling baby to toddler groups and playparks, but I do try to cycle to work to get a bit of exercise, although probably not enough. A couple of friends do Park Run eack weekend and I'd love to join them, but at the moment I suspect it would be Park Huff and Puff before Collapsing rather than actually a RUN blush.

I'm planning to start a C25K plan on Monday next week, and would love some (virtual) run buddies until I feel brave / fit enough to run with real people as well. I've seen some positive comments about the plan on here, although I think I'm still a little hmm about whether it is possible to progress like that through the weeks and actually get as far as a 5K. Still nothing ventured nothing gained.

I have running shoes somewhere at the back of the wardrobe, but might need to invest in some suitable clothing, and have a weekend of overindulgence lined up. So Monday is the day I think. First Monday of the month, and counting. I'll put a big ring around a late Sept Park Run on the calendar and start counting.....

Anyone care to join me?

makingdoo Tue 30-Jul-13 17:33:42

I'm posting to declare my interest but too lazy to commit just yet

I bought all the gear last year and ran for a few weeks and haven't done anything else since. Really lacking motivation and really really unfit

lurkingfromhome Tue 30-Jul-13 18:13:22

God, I just looked up the results of my local Park Run: 375 people did it last Saturday and out of those, only two had a slower time than my fastest ever for a 5K (when I was fit). I have a way to go yet before I can run with anyone else, I think grin

Oh, makingdoo, just come and join us! You know you want to have a reason to wear your shiny new leggings grin

MrsReacher85 Tue 30-Jul-13 19:49:17

So ladies, I went out and did my first run tonight. No time like the present! I'm still standing but only just. I think I overestimated my fitness after 18 months of inactivity. I also forgot about the lovely shade of puce that my face goes. I'm running along, feeling like a proper runner person, then get home, look in the mirror and realise I look more like I'm going to explode!

Hello, can I join in too? I started c25k on Sun and do my second run tomorrow morning. Weight has slowly crept on and I'm so unfit and unmotivated to do, well anything so I'm hoping this will kick start the new, super fit, super active me. Ahem.

The first run wasn't too bad but i was puce and sweating buckets when i finished. Attractive, hey?

mrsreacher, well done on your first run. I felt all proud of myself after i did it - having been thinking about it since erm, April!

TinaSurrey Tue 30-Jul-13 21:43:55

Hi ladies, just seen your thread & popped in to say that about 8 weeks ago I started a thread like this as I was starting couch to 5k (c25k). I have used Get Running c25k app (it does have audio so not sure why previous poster didn't get that.). There are lots of c25k apps. I tried a few and have been very happy with the Get Running one. You get told when to walk, when to run and how long you have left etc (as well as when to turn round half way!). You can play your own music through it or run in silence with just the app directing you. If you opt to play music she just speaks over the music when needed and the music fades to quiet for a few secs.

Good luck all of you. The programme is amazing. When I did week 1 run/walk 1 I could barely make the 60 seconds. I have now done 28 mins non stop just 8 weeks later! Along with calorie counting I have also lost almost 10lbs in that time. Go for it!

Just done run 2 of week 1. This gets easier right???? I am so super unfit. sad

lurkingfromhome Wed 31-Jul-13 08:27:51

TinaSurrey, to my shame I realised this morning that the audio didn't work because my earphones weren't plugged in properly blush. Honestly, what a donkey.

Just getting my shoes on now to go out for W1R1 for the second time. Will report back in a bit when I am purple in the face and collapsing over my keyboard whimpering.

Well done MrsReacher and glass! Just think: in a couple of months we will all be fit and lovely. grin

dottypyjamas Wed 31-Jul-13 08:38:47

Well done mrsreacher and ilove! I've just done w1r1 this morning (in the rain and everything!) and it was no where near as bad as I was expecting - legs were tired by the last running section and bright red by the end but not out of breath particularly, hoping the next run (friday) will also be ok! Good luck everyone smile

Oh and I used run double app (free for first 2 wks) in the end with my music underneath was pretty impressd, and can see myself getting stat obsessed as the weeks go on!

nextphase Wed 31-Jul-13 08:49:07

Hi Ladies,

There is a thread for C25K here with lots of us at different stages (I think Tina is already over there).
If your interested, please come join us. Loads of support and advice.

I did week 9 run 2 last night. Can't believe how far I've progressed. The program is fantastic. Trust it, and just keep moving from run to run (I've not repeated one yet!)

LizzieVereker Wed 31-Jul-13 08:53:12

I'm starting today, can I join please? In fact I'm going in 5 minutes, so I'll let you know how it went (If I'm still alive..) grin

lurkingfromhome Wed 31-Jul-13 09:13:06

Just back and slumped over my keyboard. Am laughing at myself rather, as I was striding along, finding it really not too hard going, thinking I AM AN ATHLETE! LOOK AT MY ELEGANT STRIDES! GO ME!! and assuming I looked like Paula Radcliffe or perhaps even Jessica Ennis. Hahahaha. Came home, looked in the mirror and found that I have a stringy fringe, my face is bright purple and I am sweating like a beast. Not too out of breath and legs aren't sore, though, so there is hope.

God, it's hot out there. Am glad I went at 8:30 as the sun is baking already. Thanks to my app, I can report that I covered a distance of 1.53 miles with an average pace of 14.45 minutes per mile. Paula Radcliffe has nothing to fear for now ...

Well done dottypyjamas. I'll be joining you on Friday for the next one grin

Berniebennett Wed 31-Jul-13 09:15:54

Can I join please also?

I have tried it before but gave up, I need the motivation to keep it up so if u don't hear from me for a few days please name and shame!!!;-)

Will be going for my first run tonight (hubby home to look after the little one). I will update straight away! xx

LizzieVereker Wed 31-Jul-13 09:41:59

I'm back! I am a very funny colour, but it was good.

MrsReacher85 Wed 31-Jul-13 09:57:38

Ooo, I think I might need a different app that tells me how far I went! Mine doesn't do that and I do love me some stats.

Well done everyone that's been out, especially in the rain!

Lurking, I am impressed! See, I think I run like Pheobe from Friends, in fact I think my 22 month old DS runs with more grace than I do. So far I have only run down the cycle track where I see the odd dog walker, I'm too self conscious to run down the road yet.

Lizzie, go you! Funny colour is good grin

Bernie, report back. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice nextphase, I keep reading your thread for motivation that it can be done. Week 9 seems such a long way away, already thinking I've got to run for 90 seconds next week, my body doesn't know what's hit it!

So how long until we feel super fit and toned and all that??? Dotty, joining you on Friday for run 3.

workatemylife Wed 31-Jul-13 10:13:50

Wow - great to hear the reports from the C25K 'graduates'. And well done those of you who have already been out for a run or two. I was considering having a shot this evening, but reading all these comments is making me want to get out there NOW. I haven't dared look at the Park Run times for my area yet though lurking. I'm not sure that I want to know! I think we're on the same page with the reasons for starting.

lurkingfromhome Wed 31-Jul-13 11:00:47

glassofwine, I totally get you re running like Phoebe. There is a lovely leafy canal path about five minutes from my house but I am too embarrassed to go there as (a) I might meet people I know and (b) it is full of lithe, elegant runners with tanned legs who are probably out doing 10Ks every weekend and I don't yet feel up to joining them (and spraying them with sweat as I huff and puff past them). So I'm running round the block with one lap of a tiny park that is only populated by benign elderly men and their grandchildren.

I feel great now! Really hope this thread keeps me motivated after the novelty has worn off.

Good luck bernie and everyone else. And well done lizzie.

workatemylife, maybe you could just get out there today and get the first one under your belt. Good luck!

Maggietess Wed 31-Jul-13 11:02:03

Ok, I would really like to be brave and say I want to join you... But I'm slightly terrified that you're all waaaaay fitter than me and I'll die!

I'm probably needing an app that starts with walking fast before I can even get running.

I was ill during and after dc3 pregnancy and I've put on about 4 stone!! sad Desperate to get it off now I'm a good bit better but finding it very hard to get motivated cus I've so much to go. Need good exercise as diet alone doesn't do it for me.

Do any of these apps start gently wink and do you (honestly) think I should join in or should I try starting a thread myself for totally unfit crocs people like me??

workatemylife Wed 31-Jul-13 11:09:39

join maggietess, join! I can't vouch for the other ladies, but I can hardly claim to be fit either!
I think the point of the C25K plan is that it does get you from pretty much nothing (the couch) to a 5K. Look at the website / app and you'll see that the first week or two has about as much walking and jogging. Of course some of the ladies who have been out there already have still warned us that this is hard work, but you're not being asked to put on some trainers and run a mile in an elegant and confident fashion. I fully expect to huff and puff through the first few sessions, but there are so many people on here who have done more of the plan or all of it and have seen it work for them that I really hope to be looking back in 8 or 9 weeks from a position of being able to run, and maybe even run in daylight in places where there are innocent bystanders without scaring them grin. Sign up now!

pinkladyslipper Wed 31-Jul-13 11:14:03

I just downloaded the app before I ease this thread so I take as a sign to join! Might start today while slightly motivatedsmile

Maggietess Wed 31-Jul-13 11:15:03

Lol workatmylife I suspect it will take longer than 9 weeks before my beetroot face and gasping breaths don't scare small children... But ok you're right, get my finger out and get going.
I'm in! grin

lurkingfromhome Wed 31-Jul-13 11:29:47

So pleased you're joining us, maggietess. Hahahahaha, I really don't think anyone is exactly a shining light in terms of fitness, but that's what we're aiming to get to.

Also, I think from reading some other threads, the C25K plan is amazing in terms of slowly but surely increasing your stamina and fitness but in the early stages, when you're jogging for 60 seconds at a time, there's no need to try to go flat out and actually do propoer running. I think all you need to do is aim for a bit of a trot, barely faster than a walk, and just try to keep moving. You will surprise yourself, I'm sure!

workatemylife Wed 31-Jul-13 11:38:24

I'm going out in about 30 minutes! I've just wasted spent ten minutes on googlemaps to plan a route and there are some playing fields near the house that should be reasonably quiet. The walk there will give me time to do the 5 minute warm up, and I reckon that each ciruit is about 0.6km, so with a lot bit of luck I'll be running round five times without stopping by the end of September.

lurkingfromhome Wed 31-Jul-13 11:43:01

Go, go! Just do it! And come and report back!

workatemylife Wed 31-Jul-13 12:45:14

Phew! Not as easy as I hoped it would be, but I feel GREAT for making the effort. Striding out purposefully on the walk there was okay, but I was dragging myself along the pavement on the way home. Nothing like stopping to tie shoelaces to make it LOOK like you're a competent running having a wardrobe malfunction rather than a total lardar*e who has just struggled out of the door.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now