Parkrunners unite!

(1000 Posts)
IsThatTrue Thu 25-Jul-13 14:15:27

Right, lets find all the park runners we have on here. I did my first park run on sat.

I am very impressed with my time of 33.18 smile I am ridiculously pleased with myself.

So park runners, where are you?

jellybrain Mon 29-Jul-13 08:30:30

Thanks Isthattrue can't wait to do the next Park Run.
I will def take a look at the book you mentioned. Who's it by?
I run with my dog but, just use one of those double Halti training leads. It's long enough to go around my waist leaving ample length to attach to the dog. I usually let her go off lead once we get to the safe bits.

IsThatTrue Mon 29-Jul-13 09:01:52

eaurouge now that is plain unfair of your DH, nobody should be made to take turns for park runs! How rude!

I'm going to have to miss at least 1 this summer as there isn't a park run near my mums house and we're up there over a weekend, boo sad although I'm really looking forward to running along the seafront, and if the tide is out maybe even the beach. I don't think I could manage to run on dry sand I find it hard enough to walk on! Lol

The book is by Caitlin Moran

AvonCallingBarksdale Mon 29-Jul-13 09:10:19

Oh, this thread has inspired me - I've done about 5 Parkruns, and my best time has been 31.30, but I've not done one for quite a while. I'm going to get going again, now!

IsThatTrue Mon 29-Jul-13 09:33:36

Yay avon you never regret going for a run! smile

jchocchip Mon 29-Jul-13 09:57:05

watchingout I did my first parkrun to celebrate finishing c25k. Made the mistake of going far too fast on my first one and struggled to get a pb. At a different parkrun course I did a comfortable run the first time and had several pbs in a line. My local parkrun is wide tarmac paths so we have lots of prams, dogs and walkers... Just remember its a run not a race smile Oh and dfyb!

EauRouge Mon 29-Jul-13 10:16:10

Oh and dfyb!

You know you're a regular parkrunner when you have no problem understanding that acronym grin

jellybrain Mon 29-Jul-13 12:40:57

Just worked out dfyb.
Thanks for the author name'is it true' will download before I go on holiday.smile

HeySoulSister Mon 29-Jul-13 12:43:46

I've lost my running mojo!!

Need it back pronto

IsThatTrue Mon 29-Jul-13 13:12:28

I'm not a regular park runner yet and dfyb is making me all confused

heysoul what gets you running? What stops you running? What routes do you like/dislike? I find the more I think about what running is to me the more I want up get out there NOW!

EauRouge Mon 29-Jul-13 13:14:44

IsThatTrue, what's the one thing you should never forget when you go parkrunning?

IsThatTrue Mon 29-Jul-13 13:31:10

Haha now I've got it grin thanks eau

HeySoulSister Mon 29-Jul-13 14:35:02

i'm competitive.....I want to get better,but get disheartened sometimes. new song playlists,new routes...all inspire me.....taking different dc along inspires me too.

has everyone got their barcodes laminated?

Lizzylou Mon 29-Jul-13 14:40:17

I have barcodes all over the place, arm holder thingy for my mp3 player, dotted around the car, kitchen and high vis jacket.
I do need to laminate before weather gets worse.

I need some new tunes as well Heysoul, will sort today, thanks for reminding me grin

My parkrun has a wee box with alphabetical dividers - I have a pair of barcodes in there. Another pair in my phone. And spare at home on my desk. None are laminated.

IsThatTrue Mon 29-Jul-13 18:33:59

I've given mine to a friend to laminate it but for now I'm using one, the rest of the spares are on my desk.

heysoul have you used mapmyrun to work out new routes? I used to run with music all the time but now I find the peace and quiet soooo lovely (gone from 2 dc at school full time while I work in silence at home, to 2 dc at school full time while I work from home with 7mo ds2!) so I haven't got round to making any playlists.

In an hour and a half I will be tanking it up a hill. And jogging back down, repeatedly hmm grin

IsThatTrue Mon 29-Jul-13 18:34:40

melanie now that's a good idea, I'll suggest that to our organisers.

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Mon 29-Jul-13 20:28:09

I invested in a plastic barcode from www.littlehugs.co.uk/ and carry it on my keyring.

IsThatTrue Mon 29-Jul-13 21:52:15

jellybrain I'm sorry I stupidly asked dd to read me the author off my book and she told me the name under a quote on the front cover. The real author is Alexandra Heminsley. I shall never trust an 8yo again! grin

jellybrain Tue 30-Jul-13 00:03:23

No problem ITT- I googled it earlier and guessed that was the case. I have downloaded it to my kindle. Trying not to read it before I get on the plane on Thursday.grin

IsThatTrue Tue 30-Jul-13 05:12:43

Have some tissues ready its quite emotional. A friend read it on the plane to Ireland and said she sobbed most of the way. I'm a hard faced cow made of sterner stuff and only cried a little! smile

Well I went for my run last night, it wasn't a fast one 6.5k (4.2mile) in 48 minutes. But there were a lot of hills. I use the strava app on my iPhone while running and it tells you how much 'elevation gain' there is for your run. It was 1009ft. In the past 28 days I have run 13 times with a sum total of 2216 fr elevation gain! So I've never done a run with quite as much (or anywhere near as much) hilly stuff. But I survived smile rest now until weds/thurs eve when I'm going y
To do my longest ever run (8k)!!

Does anybody else use running apps? What do you find best?

I use MapMyRun. It doesn't talk to me during the run, but it's got all the stats that I can analyse when I get home - pace each mile, elevation, as well as the full history of my runs.

EauRouge Tue 30-Jul-13 07:25:11

I used RunKeeper, it always worked really well for me and I loved the competitive social aspect of comparing times with my DH. Also you can sync it with myfitnesspal if you're trying to lose weight.

I hated having a smartphone strapped to my arm though, so I've got a Garmin now. I much prefer being able to check my pace and time whenever I like instead of waiting for km markers.

jellybrain Tue 30-Jul-13 10:48:14

I used Runmeter for c25k but am having problems with GPS now I am going for the 10k - probably because the trees have leaves on now so I don't always have a clear view of the sky. I'm finding I can't update now as my phone doesn't have the right os. Luckily I am due for an upgrade at the end of the month.
So currently I am timing my run and then calculating the distance using mapmyrun. Managed 8.48 km in 57 mins on Sunday which included reuniting a wondering dog with it's owner.

watchingout Tue 30-Jul-13 17:35:34

Done it. Registered, barcodes printed and laminated. Now to pick a flat course grin

EauRouge Tue 30-Jul-13 17:59:06

Yay! I'm marshalling again this weekend, there's a new one starting near me and one of my mates is helping to organise it. The DDs are coming with me and DH is running.

This thread is not accepting new messages.