Parkrunners unite!

(1000 Posts)
IsThatTrue Thu 25-Jul-13 14:15:27

Right, lets find all the park runners we have on here. I did my first park run on sat.

I am very impressed with my time of 33.18 smile I am ridiculously pleased with myself.

So park runners, where are you?

Bakingnovice Sun 28-Jul-13 00:45:03

Isthattrue - did you say you started running 8 weeks ago??!! Wow. I'm about to start week 8 of c25k and too scared to do a park run. Have you lost weight running?

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Sun 28-Jul-13 08:05:43

Well done jchocchip!

watchingout Sun 28-Jul-13 08:18:14

Haven't park run yet but I'm hoping to as my reward to finishing c25k in a weeks time. How long does the initial registration take? I do to want to tempt fate!!

Bumply Sun 28-Jul-13 08:25:24

Registration is just a case of filling out an online form and printing off your unique barcode that you need to present at the end of each run to have your time recorded.
I think if you do that by Friday it's ready to use the following Saturday.

SaltySeaBird Sun 28-Jul-13 08:35:41

I used to run a lot before my DD arrived last year but now I'm struggling to lose weight and to get back into running. My pre-DD PB was just over 27 minutes for a 5K (not at a ParkRun as there wasn't a local one) but post DD it's 36 minutes and 42 minutes at ParkRun blush It really feels like I've lost the ability to run!

I've not done a ParkRun for ages as I wanted to build up some fitness so I wasn't quite so far behind all the other runners, plus I struggle so much! I'm getting closer and I've been doing 4km runs this week and can't wait to do ParkRun again.

IsThatTrue Sun 28-Jul-13 16:48:57

Well done eaurouge and ohone

I did our park run route with a friend at 7am yest and got 33.48 so 30 seconds slower than my park run but my main aim was to run the hill in the middle which I did so I was very very pleased with that!

baking I've lost 16 lbs so far but that's only since I stopped snacking, switched most my white carbs for brown ones, swapped some of my carbs for more veg and started drinking lots and lots of water. Which was 5 weeks ago. I was the heaviest of been in 5 yrs though as I had gestational diabetes when pg with ds2, so once he was born I started inhaling cake and biscuits stating 'I'm breastfeeding so can eat what I like' hmm but when I started running and tried all the tight clothes on I saw what had happened to those biscuits and cakes (they had obviously gone straight to my hips) and in the running group I joined we did a session on diet on week 4. Since then, with my nutrition overhaul and running 30 mins (now 40-1hr) 3 times a week. Are you planning on losing weight?

IsThatTrue Sun 28-Jul-13 16:52:28

watching out, bumply is right, it takes a few minutes to register online, you need to print your barcode which you take with you each week) and you're good to go. The only stipulation is it needs to be done by 5pm fri night to run on sat morning.

salty you have not lost the ability to run, and 42 minutes isn't a bad time at all! I remember doing a race for life 5k with a friend 4years ago, and we did that in 43minutes, after a couple of months of training. Keep going. I don't know anyone who regretted putting their trainers on and going for a run! smile

Knackerelli Sun 28-Jul-13 16:55:37

My friend introduced me to parkrun and I love it! I'm not a speed runner ( more of a plodder!) so was really pleased with this week's pb of 30 mins 56 secs. My dream is sub 30!! My course is lovely and flat but looped so you see the faster runners head off to the finish line whilst you have another lap to go envy

Lizzylou Sun 28-Jul-13 16:57:46

Hello fellow Parkrunners grin
I did my 17th parkrun yesterday, my pb is 30.25, am desperate to get a sub 30 mins, well done to all who have. I have found it awful trying to run in this heat.
I agree at the friendliness of parkrun, ours is so inclusive, there are your 16/17 minute club runners who sprint it and then some who you hear doing C25k on their headphones, the slowest bat ours varies between 38-45 minutes.
Really starts the weekend off well.

IsThatTrue Sun 28-Jul-13 17:42:02

Well done knackerelli and lizzylou those are both really good times. I wouldn't call that plodding!

I'm doing a local flat park run this week but I've got ds2 (7mo) in the buggy for it so who knows what kind of time I'll get! Hopefully it won't be as hot as I agree it has been awful trying to run in this heat.

I get bored of routes quite easy so I thought I would spice it up with a different focus on each of my 3 runs in a week. So I'm heading out for some hill running tomo evening. Thurs I'll be doing 8k (my furthest ever distance) and then on Saturdays park run will be for speed smile lets see how that works for me.

watchingout Sun 28-Jul-13 17:50:01

Thank you IsThatTrue and Bumply for the registration advice -especially the cut off of 5pm!

I shall register on Friday after my w9r3 (graduation) of c25k and then pick the flattest course around wink

thenightsky Sun 28-Jul-13 18:50:25

I've just done my 4 park run. I took DS to my first one so I wouldn't feel alone. Trouble is he is now addicted and is running 4 times a week, buying fancy trainers and beating me hands down! I used to be a good runner, putting in a 10k or half marathon nearly every weekend at about 7 - 8 minute mile pace, but I''m shocked and disappointed to find I'm now running at 12 min pace due to being 10 years older with so many aches and pains like you wouldn't believe sad. Gonna stick at it though.

IsThatTrue Sun 28-Jul-13 18:56:48

thenightsky I suppose the good thing about having never really run before is that I have nothing to really compare it to. But 12 min/miles aren't the worst, and if you stick at it you will get better faster than you realise. And well done to your DS although beating you is really not on!

Lizzylou Sun 28-Jul-13 20:14:54

thenightsky, I know what you mean about aches and pains. I ran a lot a few years ago and my pace was lots quicker then. I also ached less confused
My knees and back were murderous until I bought some special running insoles which help.

AntsMarching Sun 28-Jul-13 20:22:21

IsThat I've been told that to get a faster 5K, you should run longer distances. So all your training for your 10K should also result in you running a quicker 5K.

I took up running last October and have done 6 10Ks since then. Whilst my 10K time remains pretty steady, my 5K time has dropped dramatically. When I started running, I was lucky to get 5K done in 40 minutes. I went sub 30 in June for the first time. I don't know if that's down to the 10K training, but I'm sure it didn't hurt.

Good luck with your training. I think 7K in 45 minutes is brilliant! Well done you! smile

Gatorade Sun 28-Jul-13 20:28:09

Another parkrunner here - although I think I ran my last one for a while yesterday, i'm 34 weeks pregnant with DC2 and it was just too hard. I'm going to miss it as I have been at least 3 out of every 4 saturdays for the last year or so. I will just have to get the PB buzz through the rest of you.

thenightsky Sun 28-Jul-13 20:28:14

Lizzylou My major pain is lower back too. Its bloody murderous isn't it? It comes in at about 14 minutes and gets worse and worse. I've tried stuffing pain killers down me before a run, but they have no effect. Currently googling 'lower back pain whilst running cures'.

Oooh hello lovely fellow park runners! Isn't it great?

I've just done my 17th. I think my first one was about 35 mins. My pb is now 28.16. Didn't quite make that speed yesterday as I had my dog with me and she decided to have a poo half way round the first lap shock

N4NNY Sun 28-Jul-13 20:40:03

Hello fellow parkrunners I love parkrun at my local one I'm known as the queen of parkrun I was the first at our event to get my 50 tshirt mainly because I had run loads before the event started. I've run 60 times at 5 different events. I event went to Iceland (the country not the shop grin) for the first one ever there. I am addicted.

IsThatTrue Sun 28-Jul-13 21:05:26

ants that's good to know, I was thinking of using my 5ks as speed training while I train for the 10k so it's nice to know it has the same effect in reverse.

gatorade congratulations on your upcoming dc. Running at 34 weeks pg is very commendable. I did Zumba once a week until I was 38 weeks with ds2 (now 7mo) but I sat down a lot and did no jumping. I couldn't imagine running! Well done you!

melanie you've knocked 7 minutes off in 17 park runs? Well done you! grin at your dogs park run poo! A few of my friends run with their dogs and they love it. Have you look into CaniCross at all?

N4ANNY you went to Iceland for park run?! Now that is commitment, you deserve the title of queen of the park run!

Canicross? No what's that?

I always say- running is mental, running with dog is excremental....

My best time was when I was training for a half marathon, so I was running 4 times a week, including long runs. All of that helps. The more you run, the better you get at running. Kinda obvious. But true.

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Sun 28-Jul-13 22:00:19

I'm marathon training, so doing all sorts (hills, intervals, long and short runs, biking once a week). I've really seen the effect on my parkrun time - yesterday I took over half a minute off my previous PB.

jellybrain Sun 28-Jul-13 22:33:06

I did my first Park Run while staying with my parents last week in 29.43. Was a bit shocked as I thought it had taken much longer - really hard work.
Will try my local one when I get back from my holiday.
Really jealous of those of you with T shirts I can't wait until I've earnt mine.

IsThatTrue Mon 29-Jul-13 01:35:58

melanie canicross is running with dogs, great tips and there are even specific races/events. Well worth a look!

ohone a marathon < faints > I can't even begin to imagine that sort of distance. I did the moonwalk (walking event, marathon length, overnight through London) last year and that was bad enough, although I was 8 weeks pg at the time which made it worse tbh! Which marathon are you doing?

jellybrain well done on your first park run time, and sub 30, that's pretty amazing! I love park run and the way you're only really competing with yourself but its still an 'event' and a FREE one! I can't wait for a tshirt! I was very disappointed to hear that the 10 tshirt is only for juniors!

Has anybody read 'Running like a girl' ? I've just been leant it by a friend. It's one woman's journey to becoming a runner. It's pretty amazing.

EauRouge Mon 29-Jul-13 08:27:07

I want to do canicross when we get our dog. There are loads of good blogs about it if you google.

Well done to everyone on their parkrun times and to jchochip for your 50th! I thought I might be able to get my 50th within about 18 months but now DH has decided to take up running and I have to take it in turns hmm

This thread is not accepting new messages.