Couch to 5k- We do run run run, we do run run!

(973 Posts)

A thread for anyone thinking of starting, doing or completed the c25k plan!

The last thread had so many new people starting and working through the plan it was lovely. As well as those who had finished and working towards faster times or greater distances. Everyone welcome no matter age, fitness or ability.

Join us for lots of support, advice and gentle butt kicking of required wink

Old Thread

pennygallops Mon 09-Sep-13 21:41:13

Sorry cinnamon I meant reasonable - multi tasking didn't pay off earlier blush. All running is responsible in my book - it's exercise, which is essential for a healthy mind and body.

I wasn't sure if you were asking if it was responsible for your body or something smile
I have only done 6 milers and a very few longer runs until 3 weeks ago. We did 8, then 9 and then 11 (although that was meant to be 10) as a long run on Sunday morning and kept the rest of the week the same.
Most people I know say you only need to train to 10miles for a half. I was aching by the end on Sunday but was fine afterwards and feel good today. So really I could do a half now and I've only been making an effort for 3 weeks.
There's a 10miler coming up soon I was thinking of but its on a Sunday morning so dh would need to go to work. If he took the boys he'd need the car and then I can't get to the race sad

pennygallops Mon 09-Sep-13 22:03:03

Thanks cinnamon. I might look into a local 10 miler and see how I go.
One of my other colleagues did a Tough Mudder at the weekend - slightly envious, I'd love something like that but I'm just too old now.

lurkingfromhome Tue 10-Sep-13 09:31:18

Just popping over from one of the other C25K threads to say well done Dawndonna! I'm really glad you discovered this thread and have started following the programme. Well done on getting to the end of your first week flowers.

I'm about to go out for the last run of W4 and am thinking back to just a month ago when I was wondering if I'd be able to complete all my 60 second runs. I'm now up to 6 minutes and being able to do the full 5K seems perfectly manageable, so stick with it and you'll get there too.

sophiedaal Tue 10-Sep-13 12:38:01

Hello! After taking all the good advice to run slooooowly on here, I did run slooooowly, and had a bit of a breakthrough - am about to do the scary Week 5 Run 3 tonight, after cruising through the 5 minute, and 8 minute intervals this week. I found downloading running mixes to listen to over my Zenlabs app helped, as I wasn't 'waiting' for the end of each song coming up, and could disengage my brain a bit more. I can't believe I can run 8 minutes at a time without wanting to keel over, so weirdly, the idea of 20 minutes suddenly isn't so scary any more. As long as I jog really slowly... grin

DramaAlpaca Tue 10-Sep-13 13:30:40

Go sophiedaal - best of luck for your big run.

I've been out of action for a week with a nasty chesty cold. On the mend now, so hope to get my running shoes back on in a day or so. I'm missing running! <<never, ever thought I'd say that grin>>

BIWI Tue 10-Sep-13 13:38:05

grin

scarecrow22 Tue 10-Sep-13 21:06:24

Am gringringrin

Had no hip pain of note after last run on Saturday so went out again this evening and upped pace a bit (and cut distance slightly) and felt great. Feel I need to stretch it out but not much more. Sorry to harp on- it was a real downer getting it in wk 9 and rather spoiled my graduation. I'm keen to do Park Run on Saturday and will celebrate then instead.

Hope this gives hope to others with injury.

Well done new joiners. Drama glad you feeling on mend.

MaireadnotMermaid Tue 10-Sep-13 21:08:37

did w8r2 last night. cant move today.

BIWI Tue 10-Sep-13 21:29:54

I consider myself graduated now grin

I've abandoned Get Running because problems with my phone means it keeps pausing, so I've just been using MapMyRun, and running until it tells me I've done 5K.

So now I've got there, I'm not interested in making the runs any longer - although I would like to make them faster.

Those of you who have graduated, how often do you run a week, and do you always run 5K, or do you do shorter runs?

Well done Sophiedaal!

Great news scarecrow22, is that just with rest?

I just did 30min runs 3x a week for at least 4 months before I decided to go any further BIWI. Glad to hear you feel you've graduated wink

Went out with peanut and my neighbours do with my friend today at 6.15 was nearly too dark to run in the forest sad sad sad sad and only 2 more weeks of training away in forest and then back to industrial estate sad. Doggies had great fun this morning though, we did usual 7.5k smile

FoundAChopinLizt Tue 10-Sep-13 22:10:33

BIWI

Well done!

I run three or four times a week, at least 5k. Weekend run is longer and easier, running class is quite intense and high effort, and other runs are easy 5k with bursts of effort.

scarecrow22 Tue 10-Sep-13 22:24:20

thanks Cinnamon - I dropped running from every second to every third day, dropped pace, and had a physio session deep/sport massage a couple if weeks ago. It was physio who diagnosed twisted pelvis, which still need to out right. But running alterations were my instinct. Glad I did keep running: hopefully I struck a good balance. Much prefer running every second day: by day 3 almost lost the habit!

scarecrow22 Tue 10-Sep-13 22:27:41

BIWI - I plan to run approx every second day, say 3x a week. I think rest days are important still.
Hope ro do at least one run with local Sweatshop run club or Park Run and a couple by myself. For winter might do odd run on treadmill as don't like road running as much as parks and can use creche. So try to keep habit regular and vary my route /routine of what I do on the run ro keep me interested.

BIWI Tue 10-Sep-13 22:42:24

I'm cautiously optimistic that my shins are properly well now grin I ran on Friday and yesterday, so will probably go again on Friday. I still don't want to push it by doing every other day.

I'd like to get to the stage where I actually enjoy it though!

I don't not enjoy it, but I'm aware that I'm working hard to get through it - it would be good if it were to get a bit easier.

scarecrow22 Wed 11-Sep-13 02:46:35

BIWI do you rub on treadmill or out doors? would varying your routine and/or running with other people help?

scarecrow22 Wed 11-Sep-13 02:47:12

run, not rub blush

Dawndonnaagain Wed 11-Sep-13 08:57:30

I've just done my first week two. I am a sweaty, wobbly blob, but hey, I can jog on the spot for a minute and a half. That's quite an achievement for a hefty size 20 who has done no serious exercise in thirty odd years!

BIWI Wed 11-Sep-13 09:02:24

I run outdoors, scarecrow - couldn't imagine running on the treadmill, it would be so dull! I love where I run, but I may look for somewhere else to go, just to add variety. I think I just need to get my level of endurance fitness up sufficiently so that it feels easier.

I'm fit, I know that because I've been working out with a trainer for the last 18 months or so, it's just getting the endurance side of things up - it's very different running for 30 minutes or so, compared with 10 minutes or this and that in the gym - no matter how hard those exercises are. Plank for 2 minutes 15 seconds anyone? Which is what I did yesterday!

I had thought about running with someone else, but actually I quite like being on my own with my music and my thoughts - gives me a chance to think through stuff.

I was wondering if making one of my runs longer than the others might help - i.e. looking to one long run a week, starting by adding a couple of minutes on each time?

Well done again Dawndonnaagain!

Variety definitely helps with fitness BIWI! A shorter quicker run or interval training or a longer slower run should help.

scarecrow22 Wed 11-Sep-13 16:08:25

biwi I also love the think time. Don't even run with headphones anymore. But maybe one run every week or two with a friend or club or something might just jazz it up a bit?? Good luck.with finding what works for you. Oh, and super impresses with plank stamina!!

MsVestibule Wed 11-Sep-13 20:51:23

Happy birthday Iwearblack! Hope you've had a lovely day. Did you celebrate with a run?!

Managed W2R2. I have to admit, I'm finding the increase in running from 1 minute to 1.5 minutes a bit of a push blush. Can't believe I'm struggling to run 1.5 minutes!!

Iwearblack Wed 11-Sep-13 21:35:25

Thank you msv! Hmm I haven't yet reached the stage where going for a run = fun birthday activity so no, went for a slap-up meal instead! W3R1 is pencilled in for Friday - eek 3 min run!
I think i found week 2 psychologically better than week 1 as you only had to run 6 times instead of 8 so hoping running 4 times will be doable ... That's the plan anyway!

Definitely helps to have less runs smile

We did 400m laps today at fastest 5k pace with rests. Did 4x 1 lap (my time 2m 10) then 2x 2 laps and 1x 4 laps trying to keep the same pace all the time. With warm up and warm down. Was getting dark towards the end, I hate winter sad sad sad

Morning all!

I'm sure I posted the other day to congratulate BIWI on her 'graduation' but its not there for some reason. Anyway - congrats!

I did W3R1 this morning. The 3 min runs were ok.

What do you all wear now its cooler? I'm still in short sleeved running top which is fine once I've warmed up obv but a bit chilly at the beginning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now