Couch to 5k- We do run run run, we do run run!

(973 Posts)

A thread for anyone thinking of starting, doing or completed the c25k plan!

The last thread had so many new people starting and working through the plan it was lovely. As well as those who had finished and working towards faster times or greater distances. Everyone welcome no matter age, fitness or ability.

Join us for lots of support, advice and gentle butt kicking of required wink

Old Thread

amigababy Thu 18-Jul-13 21:09:14

if I think about it too much I get a bit teary <sniffle>

what am I like???!!

pennygallops Thu 18-Jul-13 21:20:37

Just marking my spot on this lovely new thread. Thanks cinnamon. Will be back later.

FoundAChopinLizt Thu 18-Jul-13 21:24:22

I hardly let a day go past without recommending it to someone.

It's had a knock on effect on other bits of my life.

Now I want to eat well because I can feel that I run better on good food.

I'm less self conscious-once everyone's seen you bright pink and sweaty in Lycra you've got nothing to lose!

I'm more organised- because I have to find time for my runs, I've cut out some junk activities, like crap tv.

And the biggest one of all, I've got more energy to do stuff I want to do.

Oh, and less moody.

I could go on.

And on.

And I do. running bore

Right ladies! you have all inspired me! I will try it! (scared!!)

FoundAChopinLizt Thu 18-Jul-13 21:37:26

Penguins

Go for it! It starts really slow, so you will manage fine.

I do hope so. DH is putting it on to my ipod as i type!!

Kaffiene Thu 18-Jul-13 21:47:11

Am back, had to give up just after half way. Too hot and busy. Went for a long walk instead. I might pop into the gym tomorrow and re do it if its still this hot.

Amigababy if your watching the golf at muirfield you are very close to me waves

FoundAChopinLizt Thu 18-Jul-13 21:51:05

At my class tonight even the experienced runners were struggling in the heat.

The trainer said don't push too hard, keep at conversational pace. Walk if you feel funny. The conversation was mainly about how hot it was gringrin

So don't panic anyone if you're finding it hard. I'm hoping that I really notice the difference when things finally cool down again!

DramaAlpaca Thu 18-Jul-13 22:31:15

Marking my spot on our lovely new thread as well. Thanks cinnamongreyhound!

I'm planning to do W5R2 tomorrow.

pennygallops Thu 18-Jul-13 22:34:15

Go for it penguin. Just remember to take it easy in this heat. Stick to your pace and you'll enjoy it more.

Again kaffiene just cross that run off - it's too hot. My run on Monday was a disaster - just too hot.

I'm enjoying a little beer tonight. Since I've started getting really into my running, I've stopped drinking on a Friday due to parkrun on a Saturday morning.

watchingout Thu 18-Jul-13 22:43:50

I'll be with you in the morning Judy - same time , same run grin (waves at nextphase)

Last two runs have been crap. Just not able to finish and the chimp has definitely won. But I'm still going out tomorrow so I can say kid myself that I haven't missed a run in the whole seven weeks. Massive blister to contend with, but the Compeed plasters have arrived in the post today so will be giving them a go too.

Fingers crossed...

Dingle Fri 19-Jul-13 00:15:03

Feeling a bit down tonight, probably got DDs last day in Y6 playing on my mind too but I really struggled tonight. I pushed on as best I could but didn't feel happy with my"run" at all.

Managed to do W6R3, covered 3miles and burnt 360 calories. At the end of the podcast it said something about now being a "runner" ...hmm.... not sure about that. I feel I am going backwards.

watchingout Fri 19-Jul-13 06:16:25

But you got there Dingle! thanks

Woke early and needing a push to get moving, I looked up my 'proper runner' friend's Pinterest pins for motivation. How about these?

"I would rather say "I did it" than "I gave up"

"Suck it up and one day you won't have to suck it in"

"Gonna run til I don't jiggle"

Hmm that last one is a way off yet so could be running a while wink

Barbie1 Fri 19-Jul-13 06:30:48

Hello can I please join you all?

I have just been offered a charity place in the london marathon...

The furthest I have even run is 5k hmm

I really dont know what dh and I were thinking when we applied confused

I only started running a few months ago, haven't followed any plan just ran as far as I can each time.

We have just relocated to south korea on a tiny island, its hot, humid and full of mountains.

I have no idea where to start.

Any help, advice and encouragment would be most welcome

CambridgeBlue Fri 19-Jul-13 06:54:53

Hi, could I join you all? I have been doing this for a few months but taking it very slowly - I'm only at W4 because I redo each week until I can do it comfortably, not sure if that's a good idea or not. I am amazed how much better I've got though, I couldn't run to the end of the road before!

I just had a couple of questions - which app do you all use? The one I have at the moment keeps stopping and resetting which is really annoying as I'm never sure how much I've done. Also, where would you recommend going for decent shoes? I don't want to spend loads but my old trainers are not that comfy for running.

Judyandherdreamofhorses Fri 19-Jul-13 07:50:01

Hi Cambridge. I use the Runkeeper app. Very easy to programme in your runs, although it doesn't have c25k as a preset programme. It plays your own music.

I just managed my w7r3. Well, I say managed. I did a new route and thought the big hill at the end would be my cool down. It wasn't - I still had 8 minutes of running. Had to walk about 3 minutes up the hill but made myself run the last five (flat at the end!).

It's weird. I feel much better after a half hour run in the early morning than I would if I'd had that half hour in bed. I've got a baby and a 4 year old so no chance of lie ins anyway. DH and I alternate our running days so one is out while the other has the children. He started c25k before me though and is now training for a half marathon, meaning his weekend runs are long.

My running shoes are just from a normal sports shop. They're really light, which I like. I also have proper running socks and haven't had blisters.

Barbie! That sounds hot! No tips, but good luck

bisley Fri 19-Jul-13 08:01:34

Hello runners smile I lurked a bit on the last thread but wanted to pop in on your shiny new thread because I did the week 5 no.3 20 minute run yesterday, woohoo! I'm really pleased with myself grin. Before I started week 5 I looked ahead at the plan and I couldn't believe they were expecting me to run for 20 whole minutes without a break, but I did it!

I've been really enjoying getting up and out early while it's still cool. I could definitely see it becoming a habit. At least til the mornings get dark...

Judyandherdreamofhorses Fri 19-Jul-13 08:06:16

That first 20 minute run was a big scary barrier for me. I did the first 2 days of week 5 twice before I attempted it. But it was great. Well done!

bisley Fri 19-Jul-13 08:28:45

Thanks Judy smile I think I realised it might be possible when I felt surprisingly ok after the first 8 minute run in week 5/run 2. As I was running the 20 minutes I really noticed my breathing - it just seemed to be working! (As an asthmatic that's a pretty big deal.) It was hard work, but I wasn't getting out of breath particularly, it was great smile Just have to get the legs to catch up now.

I know what you mean about feeling better for getting out in the morning rather than an extra half hour in bed. My dc are early risers and my body clock is messed up, so even if they sleep in (!) til 6/6.30, I'm awake at 5/5.30 regardless. I used to lie there feeling uncomfortable and struggle to get back to sleep, it feels so much better to get up and out instead.

amigababy Fri 19-Jul-13 09:10:12

yes, once you're up, you're up, you can get going instead of thinking about it.

watching I imagined a whole crowd of chimps cheering me on to the finishing line yesterday. chimp cheerleaders!!

Judy that's great that you are both into it. dh has been a runner but is too competitive in his own head, pushes himself too hard and doesn't enjoy it really. So he stopped, and started golf! I keep saying one day we'll run together but I tell him he will be shocked at how slow I am. But that might do him good to slow down.

I second the getting up early. I come back just as the DCs are getting up and morning continues as normal.. I know that if I'd have to wait till the evening I'd find every excuse not to go out!

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Fri 19-Jul-13 10:11:32

Anyone got any advice for running with a cold/nasty cough (other than don't!!) I'm meant to be doing the Race for Life on Sunday and have come down with a hideous summer cold and chesty cough sad (I'm prone to asthma but so far peak flow is OK). DH doesn't think I should run but I'd feel really guilty not doing it as people have sponsored me... and at least I'm not going to be breathing in cold air which might be worse! Any suggestions?

hairtwiddler Fri 19-Jul-13 10:28:12

Maybe you should just walk it Sarah? I'm sure your sponsors would understand, especially if you know you can do the distance.... Not a very good idea to be running when you are not well....

I like early mornings too, but have struggled to get up recently so evening runs it is. Plan to run to pick up DD from a party tonight, I'm sure I'll look very fetching! I'm past caring what I look like though.

FoundAChopinLizt Fri 19-Jul-13 10:29:48

My trainer at running class says don't run if the symptoms are below your neck.

So snotty, sneezy and sore throat-probably ok

Chesty-not ok

Sorry that you're ill thanks how frustrating for you.

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Fri 19-Jul-13 10:52:05

Thanks... yes, very frustrating! angry Of all the times to get a cold... I guess walking it is the sensible option. Surely I can manage a walk? hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now