Signing up for a half marathon - am I mad?!

(25 Posts)
dufflefluffle Sat 10-Aug-13 11:32:16

Of course you can do it - that's a given, you just might not do it in under two hours but that doesn't matter - it's a starting point. The right attitude is all you need.
On a practical level do try to do the full 13 miles before the day - even if you have to walk some of it, psychologically you will have it in your head that you are capable of finishing the half m then.
Enjoy and well done!

BIWI Sat 10-Aug-13 11:30:48

Actually, I misunderstood - they have 36 places that they need to fill, hence the urgency of asking!

Tiredemma Sat 10-Aug-13 11:23:44

Go for it!!

I did the GNR last year (in 2hr 30)- I'm not a'fast' runner but it was amazing

Only really did 5ks and a 10k before that.

You have plenty of time to train in 12 weeks.

BIWI Sat 10-Aug-13 11:20:33

Is anyone here up to entering for a half marathon on 6/10? World Child Cancer, the charity that Mumsnet's very own Woolly Huggers are supporting, are in desperate need of runners. They have four places which they need to fill - if they can't fill them, they will have to pay out for them.

Link here if you're interested!

Thank you!

redwellybluewelly Thu 08-Aug-13 12:31:55

Interesting thread, I have just seen a local half marathon being advertised for the end of November and another for April. Its one of my bucket list things to do!

But. I am only just starting C25k on Sunday this week (bra issues delayed starting) and I think I need to train towards the April one rather than the November one!

This thread has confirmed that I need to be sensible.

snowlie Wed 31-Jul-13 12:41:52

Do it but don't train so hard that you start to hate running and refuse to go back to it after the big event. I know a few people who have done that.

Barbie1 Thu 25-Jul-13 12:17:58

For some reason I felt the need to enter the London marathon next year.

I had just completed my first 5k and was feeling on top of the world, so thought what the heck...

The problem is I have been accepted shock both myself and dh are running for miscarriage association.

I have just moved to the other side of the world where the environment is 90% humidity and the landscape is mountainous. I have no idea where to start or even of I can do it confused

I will be your virtual training buddy if you need one, I sure could do with some help and handholding!

Yankeecandlequeen Thu 25-Jul-13 12:00:30

forgot to add that I average 9/9:30 minute mile so I think you're doing great. Nice easy pace.

Trifle Thu 25-Jul-13 11:54:57

Do it but do it for your own personal gain. Don't ask for sponsorship.

Yankeecandlequeen Thu 25-Jul-13 11:53:37

I have my 1st half on October. Cacking myself but also looking forward. I've done 2 BUPA Manchester 10k's and loved them!

Signed up last year for this one & now training is a bit hit & miss. I can go for 8.5 miles in about 1 hour 20. Really happy but I don't go often enough. I'll have to find the time to go our more often.

CMOTDibbler Wed 17-Jul-13 07:57:49

Just shuffling in here to say that I'm about to sign up for a half, having done C25K, then a 10k, and still feeling like I can go further.

Am upping my regular runs to an hour (have been doing two 8ks), then my long run up in 15 minute increments from the hour/10k each week.

All this seems very strange for someone who always had themselves down as a non runner!

HandMini Wed 03-Jul-13 08:05:46

I am a mediocre runner but have done and LOVED several half marathons. Some events have a designated "back of the pack" starting point for those that know they won't want to overtake. Please do this - it will be an amazing feeling to cros the finish line, which you will and it will be a huge booster for your weight loss / fitness regime.

theoriginalandbestrookie Wed 03-Jul-13 08:00:40

Russians - you must have been very unlucky with your loos !

I have done 4 halves in 3 different locations Edinburgh/Glasgow/Newcastle ( Great North) and the loos have always been fine. When I need to go, I need to go though grin and I hate losing valuable minutes queuing on the way ( downside of being towards the back of the pack) so I have had to improvise on occasions and have used bowling club loos that were en route.

OP there is a good half marathon training plan section in this months ( august edition) Women's running. I looked at it and it seems fairly achievable - longest run is one run of 2 hours. If you are planning to just get round, then this will suit you fine, and I have found that even if due to life and family commitments, you have to drop a few runs, provided you do at least one long run ( that you build up) and one tempo run each week then you will get round.

RussiansOnTheSpree Tue 02-Jul-13 23:12:19

I did one half. I did it in 2:15. The actual running was ok (but someone dropped dead a little way in front of me and that was horrible to witness) but the training was difficult - not in terms of effort but in terms of finding the time. Because I was super cautious, I set myself the task of 4 20K plus runs before the real one. Just to, you know, really really prove I could do it, and also practice with drinking while running etc. That was difficult to juggle with family commitments at the weekends. I was doing >12 K runs every weekend for probably 3.5 months and it was a pain for the family. The main reasons why I will never do another half (as a race) were (a) the stress and worry - I was terrified I'd be injured or something, and have to drop out. I raised over £1000 in sponsorship so that was a HUGE deal to me. I retrospect, I shouldn't have got sponsors. The pressure was almost more than I could cope with; (b) the toilets. Dear god, the toilets. The toilets at the start of the race were disgusting. Worse than the toilets at Borispol airport, Kiev. Worse than the toilets at the Great Wall of China at Badaling. They were hellacious. Ad since you had to be at the staging are 2 hours before the start of the race for some unknown reason, you had to use them. It was the most horrific experience I have ever had.

I carried on doing long runs for months after my half, but I had already made up my mind I wouldn't put myself through that mental stress again. Every so often I build up and run a half distance by myself - but it's just for me. And it doesn't involve portaloos. grin

mercury7 Tue 02-Jul-13 23:00:26

Taking it slowly may well be the best thing to do MrsOgg

healthland.time.com/2012/06/04/extreme-workouts-when-exercise-does-more-harm-than-good/

that article has certainly made me feel better about being a slow runnergrin

milewalker Tue 02-Jul-13 21:56:11

I should also add I did my first half back beginning of march, I started really aching at about mile 7 so ran/walked the rest. no-one laughed cos I was walking and I wasn't last on that one either. that one was all on the flat. I think you should go for it and don't worry that everyone shoots off at the start, i'm always last at the start cos I take my time and go at my own speed, I soon catch up and pass others who went to fast at the start then burn out.
I don't mind being the tortoise grin

theoriginalandbestrookie Tue 02-Jul-13 21:53:11

Will people laugh if you are walk/running, well no one will ever laugh at you for taking part, but it really depends on the race as to how many entrants there are and what standard they are at.

I'm a slow runner so I do 5k in around 35 mins, 10k in 1hr 10 and a half marathon 2hrs 41 (or thereabouts). I have run 4 half marathons - all pretty big ones and at that speed I have certainly been towards the back of the course, but there are always a number behind me, I think they usually cut off at about 3 hrs. If you can do 10 min miles then you will have no problems.

If 30 mins is the longest run you are currently doing, you will need to build up your long run pretty quickly over the next few weeks. If you can get to the point where you can run/walk for 2 hrs then you will be fine for a half marathon. Get yourself a good training schedule - they can be found online or in magazines. Three runs a week should do it, one long one to build up your distance, one pace/interval run to build up speed and one medium tempo run.

I find that tablets called Zero Highs I think , are good. You add them to water and they replenish electrolytes, are zero calorie so much better than energy drinks.

I just completed my first one 2 weeks ago!

Loved it, its a great distance to run, and I followed a 12 week training programme too. The training is pretty tough, mind.

milewalker Tue 02-Jul-13 21:51:26

I did one last sunday. I've been running on and off since October. It was amazing, I loved all of it. it took me 3hrs and I wasn't the last person. it was hills, hills and more hills. def possible in 12 weeks.

5madthings Tue 02-Jul-13 21:50:58

In Oct

And tempted by half marathon next year... Bloody typos.

The only thing that puts me off is the time needed for training.

HeySoulSister Tue 02-Jul-13 21:46:04

I'm considering doing one now!

5madthings Tue 02-Jul-13 21:44:42

Go for it, I started c25k in Feb and did 10k in may that was fine. Am doing another 10k in ICT and tempted by ahakf marathon next year.

My dp trained for the London marathon in ten weeks.

If you have a reasonable fitness level its def doable smile

Branleuse Tue 02-Jul-13 21:43:48

im doing 2 half marathons in the autumn. I really need to get properly training

HeySoulSister Tue 02-Jul-13 21:42:26

Good for you!! I would. I'm a c25k graduate too. Joined a running club and now up to 10k but takes about an hour and ten!

MrsOgg Tue 02-Jul-13 20:20:45

I did the Couch to 5k earlier this year and have been doing interval and hill training since then, really enjoying it... I'm in the middle of a massive weight-loss effort (still got 3st 10 to go!!), would I be insane to sign up for a half-marathon? It's in exactly 12 weeks, and the bupa training programme I just looked at is 12 weeks long.

I think I can do it, but part of me is terrified! On the other hand, at the beginning of the year, the thought of running for 20 minutes straight was laughable, and I did that this evening as an 'easy' run!

Is anyone else training for a half marathon? Or have you done one, do you have any tips? If on the day I'm crap and run really really slowly/walk, will people laugh at me?!

My running is mediocre, I would say - I'm still fairly overweight, after all - and I usually only measure time, not distance, but I do know that I can do 3 miles in 30ish minutes.

Thoughts? Advice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now