Fatty Runner 5k

(18 Posts)
DontBeFooledByTheRocksThatIGot Tue 25-Jun-13 10:52:13

Right, I'm not 2lbs overweight, I'm not 2 stone overweight. I weigh over 15 stone.

I have stopped doing C25K because I spent all my bloody time staring at the clock and instead have just started putting 5k in to the machine and am trying to beat my time.

Yesterday I did it in 50 minutes which I know is not great, but here's where I need some advice. I was reading online that you should be running, not walking - even if snails overtake you. But, if I've got the speed set to 7.3 for example I spend too much time in the air and my joints hurt. I feel good at a "near sprint" of 10.5 - you know, my joints and movement feel like this is all how it's supposed to be. V fit husband says I've got "great form for a fat bird".

But, hauling 15+ stone at 10.5 means I can only do this for 90 seconds or 200m or whatever, then I walk for 90 seconds and sprint again. Pulse going to usually around 165 and falling to 125 during intervals.

I suppose what I'm looking for is someone to say "if your joints aren't complaining - keep doing what you're doing!".

Any thoughts?

Try running off the machine, so you can go with how your body feels? Also more of a workout!

Frenchfemme Tue 25-Jun-13 12:51:12

Sorry no helpful suggestions but I feel just the same - if I "run" at a pace I can sustain breathing wise, I am really uncomfortable, but if I move at a pace that feels right for my joints etc I can't breathe! Btw I am over 12 stones, so no lightweight.

sparkle12mar08 Tue 25-Jun-13 20:44:04

How far are you striding with each step? Is it the rhythm of the sprint pace that you like? If so try maintaining that rhythm with a vastly smaller stride length. It will feel like running with your feet ties together at first and may take a number of goes to get used to, but because you're not covering as much ground and striding out so much, you're not putting as much pressure through your joints or using as much effort to move your legs. As such, you should in theory be able to maintain the rhythm and pace for longer overall each time.

I seem to have a very short natural stride and much prefer a faster overall foot rhythm, and I've found it makes a big difference to the jolting I feel in my knees and hips compared to when I tried to use a longer slower stride. Additionally I found that using a flatter mid foot strike rather than a firm heel strike made a massive positive difference, and with a short stride length it's easier to do a flatter strike because if you're striding out there's no option but to go heel down first.

In terms of your total time, you're obviously managing 50 mins overall so I don't see it as a problem using frequent intervals to achieve it. So from that point of view I'd say carry on. The tips above may help you to lengthen your intervals slowly but surely, moving to 2 mins on, three mins on etc. Also try shortening your rest lengths - you should never feel fully recovered each time if you're hoping to make optimum progress, try 1 min periods rather than 1.5.

As someone who is still 2 stone overweight and who hadn't run or even jogged in over 25 years, I've somehow managed to go from that to 10km in twelve weeks. I've amazed myself tbh, I thought I'd quit before a month was up but I've found it strangely addictive trying to better myself each time. Even when it was just going from one minute to two, and so on. Each time you run is a positive affirmation that you have the get up and go and the determination to improve your fitness and overall health. Some of us just end up taking the long way round, and I'll never be perfect at the end of it even, that's for sure - but getting up everyday and keeping on trying is no bad thing!

DontBeFooledByTheRocksThatIGot Wed 26-Jun-13 06:26:26

Ah! I think you're on to something there, I think I've got a fairly long stride, so when the treadmill is barely moving I'm sort of launching myself vertical wheras when it's shifting I'm powering myself forward. Basic physics will tell us that gravity will work against us (joints)!

I think I'm going to continue with the intervals and as you say, reduce the rest times. I will get there in the end and it'll be satisfying bringing it down to 49, through 48 etc.

blue I've tried running outside and obviously tarmac is hard work, I found a farm path which was kinder on my joints - but I hate running outside because I'm scared of people looking. So I tend to walk when I see people. blush Bastard dog-walkers! wink At least in the gym only half a dozen people can see my arse.

sparkle12mar08 Wed 26-Jun-13 10:30:30

Stupid question, but do treadmills have a 'free wheeling' option? So that you could run at your preferred stride length and speed, rather than having to run at the speeds it has? I know nothing about gym equipment.

DontBeFooledByTheRocksThatIGot Wed 26-Jun-13 18:00:20

Not my gym!

I'm not sure it's so much speed as pure and simple weight + lung capacity. Whatever speed I'm at I'm pretty much done in at 90 seconds, but I feel "emotionally better" going at speed.

Anyway, today I shaved off 3 minutes so I feel encouraged. I just need to reduce the down times.

sparkle12mar08 Wed 26-Jun-13 18:18:46

"Whatever speed I'm at I'm pretty much done in at 90 seconds, but I feel "emotionally better" going at speed."

Well in that case definitely carry on doing what you're doing because it's obviously working well - your 'on' intervals will lengthen over time and the 'off' ones will shorten and before you know it you'll be doing 5, 10, 15 mins on. It's just c25k a different way around, tis all smile

No practical advice but I also find it easier to run outside, rather than in the gym on a treadmill.

I also hate people looking at me. The only way I get over it is by telling myself that no one has any idea how long I've been running for - so what if I'm bright red & puffed out after 2 minutes - I could have been running for an hour for all they know smile

Good point, HavinganOffDay!

Whogivesashit Wed 26-Jun-13 21:13:09

I run outside. I'm on the heavy side so speed is not my thing. I run at a steady pace and can now do just over 3 miles in about 35 minutes. I see lots of people on my runs, even soliders and don't give a monkeys how I look.

dementedma Wed 26-Jun-13 21:13:29

Never use a gym so don't understand all the technical stuff, but 50 mins for a 5k at 15 stone is bloody good going I think. I just did c25k and managed 40 mins and am 12 stone,and can't see me getting any faster to be honest. Its still bloody hard work after all these weeks and I don't really enjoy it.

Whogivesashit Wed 26-Jun-13 21:14:27

* soldiers*

Sommink Wed 26-Jun-13 21:23:53

I quite like the dog walkers now, I never used to run outside but its so much cheaper then the gym. I go down an old railway line to the end and back, the dog walkers I pass on the way cheer me on on the way back. No advice because it sounds like you are doing a great job!

mercury7 Thu 27-Jun-13 00:49:44

I'm not really sure what it is you're asking OP but I tend to go by heart rate, when I run I take small steps at a slow pace, less stress on joints & ligaments, I alternate 5-10 mins jogging with 5-10 mins fast walking on an incline, I set the speed and the incline such that my heart rate is the same as when I run.

I used to aim to run for an hour but I was picking up injuries so have had to be sensible and stop fixating on how many miles I ran per week, instead I look to do an hours cardio at a constant heart rate

CoteDAzur Thu 27-Jun-13 08:44:16

If your joints are hurting, you should decrease the impact at each step. And that means shorter strides and landing on the middle of your foot rather than your heel (mid-foot strike).

You would also benefit from a free gait analysis at a runners' shop and see if your shoes are properly supporting your feet. My knee pain went away completely once I changed shoes.

Even if you don't follow a 5K program like C25K, you should keep in mind its technique of two interval-training sessions (like 90 secs run / 90 secs walk you are doing now) in the week, then going for a long run on the weekend. This long run is one where you go outside, slow down to a manageable speed, and just run for the fun of it smile

DontBeFooledByTheRocksThatIGot Thu 27-Jun-13 11:05:08

No, that's the thing. I don't have joint problems going at my preferred gait - in fact I've never had shin splits/muscle aches or any form of skeletal issues when I push my strides. I tried the shorter strides yesterday and someone upthread said it would feel as though I was hobbled - try "done a little poo and shuffling towards toilet"! wink

Anyway, yesterday was 47 - hopefully 45 by sunday.

sparkle12mar08 Thu 27-Jun-13 11:14:40

I tried the shorter strides yesterday and someone upthread said it would feel as though I was hobbled - try "done a little poo and shuffling towards toilet"! wink

That was me. You owe me a new keyboard, 'cos I just snorted coffee all over this one!!! That's brilliant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now