Heavy lifters

(45 Posts)
BsshBossh Tue 18-Jun-13 15:08:21

Are there any "heavy" lifters out there? By "heavy" I mean heavy to you smile. I've only just begun (2 months) using predominantly free weights (dumbbells). My routine includes deadlifts, squats, lunges, shoulder press, pulldown, bicep curls, tricep extension and a few more. I am still under 10kg for all the exercises but my goal is to move out of the "ladies section" and to the "big boys and girls" section of the gym and start using bigger barbells for the lower body work. My ultimate aim is to deadlift/squat etc my current body weight 140lbs (then go further!). But I need to lose the shyness first and move over to the heavier lifting section of my gym.

What do you do?

Hmm, did NO weights at the gym yesterday, just cardio and a swim, and appear to have tweaked my lower back hmm

See, you lot were right, cardio is bad for you! grin

Hopefully it's just a case of slightly overdoing it this weekend.

Roll on my next session when I can get back to strength training, as nice gym man is going to sort out a routine for me smile

gindrinker Mon 26-Aug-13 07:19:10

I'm just trying to get into heavy weights. I had my induction at the gym yesterday and really surprised myself.

I explained I did body pump and trx so he had me doing squats with a 24kg kettle bell and hamstrings/glutes with 28kg. He had me doing supersets with the arm machines 8-12 reps on each 3-4 times.
Ouchie!

Isabeller Sun 25-Aug-13 17:32:46

Thanks for the advice, will mentally bookmark for next year smile

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Sun 25-Aug-13 16:43:21

Splendid stuff Lollipop ! I'm going to pop a photo up on my profile which shows me after months of 1200 calories a day dieting, tons of cardio and a few body pump classes a week next to one of me after 4 weeks of heavy lifting, 3 short cardio sessions a week and 2000 calories a day. I'm due to take my 6 week photos tomorrow, and whilst they won't show as much of a change I'm hopeful that there'll be some results. I'm a bit evangelical about it at the moment as I'm newly returned to lifting and love how it makes me feel - I really regret stopping!

Isabeller there's loads of information on bodybuilding.com with decent programmes for all levels, videos of how to do exercises and lots of support on the forums. I also find most of the people on the gym floor quite helpful - there's a trainer in my gym who I speak to quite a lot, in fact I'm considering asking him to coach me, as he trains the way I like to and looks good - he has the fitness model type build so looks like he understands what I'm after. I'm also often approached by women in my gym as I don't work out like they do and am always happy to help/chat.

Isabeller you could either ask a personal trainer, or one of the heavy lifters at your local gym. Or Youtube, even if it's just to see the different exercises.

I REALLY want to deadlift, but you can really hurt yourself if you do it wrong, so I'm waiting til I get my exercise programme changed, then I can ask for advice.

Isabeller Sun 25-Aug-13 16:19:10

I have wanted to do this for years. I'm currently obese & pregnant but so excited by thread I have to ask - where can I find help and advice?

Every time I've tried to get help I haven't been taken seriously. I do quite physically demanding work and lift fairly heavy things regularly.

Hotel I actually bumped into him during my session today, and he said that yesterday was just a quick induction - when I get my membership card that works with the computers and machines and whatnot, we'll add some resistance work onto my routine - starting out on the machines to ease me back into it, then in 4-6 weeks, I can get my programme changed and get some freeweights going smile

Urgh, after all this hard work on Slimming World, skinny-fat is NOT what I'm aiming for! I want a little muscle, but nothing too extreme smile

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Sat 24-Aug-13 18:49:13

Lollipop you don't need to go cardio heavy to lose weight. The lifting, and frankly mostly your diet, will have you shedding the lbs. Cardio will get you skinny-fat!

Does your trainer have you doing any resistance work at all? What have they suggested for you?

Can I ask the rest of you what you do re dietary supplements? I struggle to get enough food in (hence losing mass) and wonder what I should be using to supplement my diet. There's a lot of contradictory information out there so does anyone have any regime that works for them?

Oooooh kindred spirits!

Around a year ago, I was very into free weight work. Then I took up figure skating and had to give up my gym membership to fun that as I wasn't working at the time.

Now I get a gym membership through work, to a VERY nice health club/gym. I went for an induction today, and told the trainer doing it I liked freeweights. However, I'm around 4 stone overweight so I have a heavy cardio plan at the moment.

Might ask to be shown deadlifts, could never do them...

At my best, I was doing 15kg for upper body, and 30kg for squats (we had a squat rack in my old gym - VERY useful bit of kit).

Really want to get back to those numbers, and improve them. I'd love to squat over my body weight (when I weigh less than 70kgs haha!)

BsshBossh Thu 22-Aug-13 17:21:45

That's the crazy thing - the guys in my gym are fine (no obvious meatheads) so the fear is completely based on "making a fool of myself" (whatever that means!).

But I'll get there.

Technotropic Wed 21-Aug-13 21:59:09

Cool, glad to hear you're enjoying it. Weights are the bee's knees smile

Shame about the free weights end but there really is nothing to fear. I hate meatheads that crash weights down and leave equipment lying around etc. but don't take it personally. They're rude and crap to everyone so you just need to get stuck in and ignore.

It's all relative so is all about what's heavy for you. Lots of people put me to shame but hey ho!

BsshBossh Mon 19-Aug-13 22:26:39

Hello, OP here smile Still lifting, but still in the ladies section! Had to cancel my PT session due to illness and never managed to reschedule. But come the new school year, I'll be booking a new session to conquer my "fear" of the big weights section.

My body is really changing shape, it's amazing: the diet and cardio are stripping the fat down to reveal some nice muscle - I can't stop looking at myself in the mirror. I'm a huge convert to heavy (to me!) weights!

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Mon 19-Aug-13 21:51:50

I've been on a heavy lifting plan for the last five weeks having got sick of cardio/body pump style lifting. I do each body part twice a week and a bit of HIIT to strip back fat and am amazed at the difference in my body already - I've got some great progress photos so far.

My weights are creeping up, I can now deadlift more than I weigh and am getting close on the squat. A pesky shoulder issue is holding me back on chest work, but I'm focussing on fixing it properly so I can train hard in the future. I'm absolutely loving the energy it gives me, the amount I can eat, the way I'm looking and how easy it is to sleep now!

kelpeed - I find that quite a lot. I either get the "I like my light weights, I don't want to bulk up" or, on the rare occasion "You don't look like you should be able to lift that." I tend to ignore it, like I do the odd perve who doesn't realise I can see him in the mirror when he's watching my bum as I deadlift. Most of the guys in the weight room are far more supportive!

kelpeed Sat 17-Aug-13 11:53:47

might i add, that other women, not so much men, seem to be more judgey than the menz when it comes to weights, let alone heavy weights? -"oooh too much for meee, i will grow big and musclesy" and "i just cant keep up" when they havent even tested this out for themselves.

interested in whether others have sensed this?

kelpeed Sat 17-Aug-13 11:23:50

good for you.i used to play competitive sport, and to just keep up with the fitness training sessions, i started doing extra fitness. I used to do heavy heavy stuff (for me), with 5x squats about same /120% body weight, leg press 120kg, 50kg bench press, loadsof unassisted chinups, plus 10k runs a few times a week, cycling to work.

then came (nonsleeping, extra strength crying volume) babies. it was hard to maintain the above lifting weights as i didnt/couldnt go regularly , ie 3 x per week.
now i just do medium weigths a couple of times a week. i sometimes do cardio afterwards in a vain attempt to catch up the lost and (and still loosing sad) years.

i think the issue of women scared of doing heavy or even free weights can be helped a lot by the gym management. the gym manager at my gym was very nice just after the babies were born was supprotive of women doing hand /free weights, and heavy stuff. All his prorgams included half and half free and machine weights. He used to put up photos of ordinary women lifting weights (wearing normal workout clothes not skimpy outfits) around the free weigths area to help break down the blokes only stereotype in that partof the gym. there were always a few women in that area at any one time. the next gym that I went too also had some female olympic athletes train there, and their training inlcuded using heavy weights, so no problem with dilletante blokes trying to manslpain how to use the weights there. they just got laughed at. once a horrible angry man (probaly steroidy) came up to try to push me off the squat rack cos i was in the way of his timed program but i kicked up a stink and told the management who immediatley cancelled his membership (he had apparently tried this on others previously). I did go to one gym where women used the weights section less, but i really didnt care what anyone thought. To be honest, i think blokes probably focus more at checking themselves out, than checking out women.

my lifting was mostly was all for fitness and sanity, not for body buidling. those with the least experience with being fit were the biggest and most negative commentators (stereotype alert , mainly older generation --dad-).

Hi Bssh I was just thinking about you and wondering how you are getting on? Sticking with it? Enjoying? smile

I have just finished reading "New Rules of Lifting" and am inspired to start the workout programme after the summer holidays as I am feeling like I've lost a bit of direction and need a change/more focus. A lot of the stuff in there is things I regularly do - so I was wondering if anyone has started the workout programme when already a fairly experienced lifter? Should I still start at the beginning but adjust/include weights so they are appropriate for me?

In other news I finally cracked the unassisted pull up grin. Can manage 2 but working on increasing it!

Another odd question too, I have been looking at the bra intervention threads and keep getting comments about my measurements (32E) not being possible because I am a size 8 (this includes from people in RL). I think it must be because of the weight training increasing lats? Body fat is fairly low and rib cage certainly isn't fat....anyone else who lifts have similar phenomenon?

Technotropic Fri 28-Jun-13 00:04:11

Hey Bsshbossh

How's it all going? Thought I'd check back and your plan sounds good so hope the PT helped build on it and set you off on the right foot.

There's nothing quite like aching glutes lol.

All the best smile

EMUZ Tue 25-Jun-13 04:45:17

<waves>
I dabble a little bit, weights lift my mood massively I find. Mainly I work with a PT or in my boot camp class. I have sciatica and totally put my back out a few months ago resulting in gas & air to scrape me off the floor grin I wasn't even in the gym at the time!
Not sure on weights, I know I leg press 110kg
Did a horrible workout today with a 10kg barbell. Basically 1 rep of each then sprint, then 2 reps of each, all the way up to 10 reps of each then back down to 1 confused
Squat, clean and press, lunge (1 rep = both legs), bent over row. Sounds easy but it killed!!!

BsshBossh Fri 21-Jun-13 20:40:25

Thanks both of you. Okay, from what you've written I think this is my plan:

- Use the beginning of my journey (with the lighter weights) to focus on form and nail that
- Continue with full body sessions but split the compound leg exercises
- As I start lifting heavier and heavier, start doing split body routines for all body parts

Really excited now but still terrified of entering the big, heavy weights section. It's a silly terror really cause the users of my gym are really very nice and not at all scary! It's all in my head. But I'm glad I'll be breaking virgin (for me) territory with a personal trainer by my side.

Technotropic Fri 21-Jun-13 15:07:05

Hey BsshBossh

No worries. I thought you might have missed something as your workout looks pretty balanced and covers the entire body. It just seemed odd not to see rows in there so glad you've got it covered already.

Dips are amazing as they'll hit your triceps, delts, pecs (if you lean forward or widen your grip) and the back/lats to a lesser degree.

Full body workouts are tough going. Your schedule sounds identical to mine as you get a day off the weights Tues/Thurs and squeeze some cardio in. Definitely don't do cardio and weights on the same day if you're lifting heavy.

What you've suggested with lunges on Mon, deadlifts on Tues and squats on Fri sounds ideal to me. I definitely wouldn't do all three in one day unless you only lift light(ish) weights. As your thread is about lifting heavy though you will find the heavier you go the harder it'll be to do more than one compound leg exercise a day. Especially if you're doing 5 sets of reps.

Anyway I hope this helps. TBH it's nice to see people taking an interest in the classic compound moves. What you've got on your list is the staple of any decent workout so hope you enjoy. Just make sure you focus heavily on form. IMHO it's better to lift less with perfect form than to lift 2x your body weight with poor form. When you switch to the more serious end of the gym I've no doubt you will see big guys showing off but doing it all wrong. Whatever you do, don't be tempted to follow suit.

All the best smile

mercury7 Fri 21-Jun-13 15:06:33

...also if you want to go heavier I'd suggest that training each muscle group 3 times per week doesnt leave enough time for recovery, the heavier you go the more time you need to recover.
You may make more progress training each muscle every 4-7 days

mercury7 Fri 21-Jun-13 14:57:26

as I read it's best not to mix cardio and weights in a single session
I'm not sure that there's anything inherently wrong with it, and I often do about 40 mins strength training followed by 45-60 mins cardio, depends what your goals & priorities are.

For back I'd try and include some wide grip and some close grip (as well as pulling the into your chest and pulling down from overhead already mentioned)

It can get a bit much trying to work all muscles from all angles confused

I'm also a huge fan of lunges, I like to use a barbell and a long stance, all the reps on one leg, then rack the bar, regroup and all the reps on the other leg.
I find they work my glutes and hamstrings like nothing else (except glute/ham raises)

Thats the thing...individual bio mechanics tend to mean that a movement that really hits the spot for one person doesnt do much for another person.

I tend not to deadlift any more because my lower back goes into spasm and I never really found that squats hit me much in the quads.
But I am totally in love with the 45 degree legpress grin

BsshBossh Fri 21-Jun-13 14:32:44

Techno, very helpful feedback thanks. I do bent over rows, forgot to list that, and my OHP are standing ones. Will continue to do curls but will swap out extensions for dips.

For time reasons I prefer doing full body weight sessions Mon,Wed,Fri and HIIT cardio Tue,Thu as I read it's best not to mix cardio and weights in a single session. So could I split the leg work as follows?

Mon - lunges (I love them)
Wed - deadlifts
Fri - squats

And not do all three each weights day?

Technotropic Fri 21-Jun-13 10:18:33

BsshBossh

Your workout looks good, with some decent compound moves. Just a few comments though that I hope may be helpful.

Is the OHP a standing move or sat on a bench? If it's sat then you will get more benefit from being stood up with your feet close together.

I'm pretty lazy so prefer to do more compounds and less isolation. I think you could dispense with the curls and tricep extensions and get more benefit if you could do chin ups and dips. If you can't quite shift your bodyweight then perhaps a station with a weighted platform will help (if you have one of those in the gym).

Also it's definitely worth putting a row on your workout. Either a bent over row with a bar or on a bench with dumbbells but something to work your back a bit more.

The lunges are great but with the squat and dead lifts I'm not sure if they're really needed (unless you enjoy them that is).

I would definitely do the squats and deadlifts on different days (apologies if you're doing that already) to maximise strength gains. I don't think I've met anyone who can max out both on the same day.

Anyway hope this helps. Sounds like you're going to enjoy stepping things up smile

strongandlong I am loving those numbers! Is that a back squat at 100kg?

Re diet - I follow the Paleo diet, noooooo to calorie counting! For me it has made a big difference in body shape and my training.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now