Couch to 5k - just started! Help with podcasts, iphone apps and timing please.

(439 Posts)
TinaSurrey Fri 07-Jun-13 14:33:38

Hi all, Hoping this is the correct place to post.

I have just done my 2nd Couch to 5k "run" from week one. The 1st time I went i timed myself using the clock on my phone so I knew when to run, when to walk etc but it was far from ideal. I used the Nike app to track my run and loved the fact it told me how far I had covered, average speed and calories burnt.

This time I had worked out how to get the NHS podcast on my iphone and played that and followed Laura's instructions which was much easier.

Questions are...
Can I make the podcast play AND monitor my run on the Nike app at the same time and if so how? I couldn't find a way to do it. Secondly, is there an alternative podcast without the music. Laura was great but I'd prefer silence in between her instructions rather than their music. Finally if you are running using the podcast how do you know when to turn round (at the half way point) as I expected Laura to tell me when it was half way but she didn't so I ended up too far away from my car before I realised I should have turned round!

I am determind to do this having not done any exercise to speak of ever!

TinaSurrey Tue 11-Jun-13 22:53:02

Hi Twas - crossed posts. Well done for today. My week 2 run 1 is also due Thurs but realised can't do Thurs this week so I need to either do it tomorrow (wed) even tho I ran today or miss two days & run Fri instead.

TwasBrillig Tue 11-Jun-13 23:51:52

I've just found a forum linked from the nhs with question and answers on. . I can't do links on my mobile. Though.

Apparently weight loss can slow as you start the programme as your body adjusts to the change. The guy answering said it all sped up about week 5 for him. Reassuring at least! Starting to turn fat to muscle and something about increased blood flow.

Would link if I could but need to sleep. Well done everyone, we can do it!

Great going folks! Sounds like everyone is doing really well. I was just coming on to agree with Twasbrillig's post about the weightloss - apparently the better way to measure it is by the looseness of your clothes or by taking measurements round your waist etc. My weight loss has plateaued for the last few weeks but I am still getting trimmer (am ignoring the fact that I've been less than good with the My fitness pal tracking and am putting the plateau down to muscle! grin)
Did w6r2 today and am struggling to get my head around the fact that it was my last run with walking breaks (I think, need to check the plan). I think I was as slow as a turtle on my second 10 mins, and it was so hard to get the mental motivation today. I think that might have something to do with the gloomy weather, the sun is always a lift. Might also have something to do with a non sleeping DS but as that's a constant I just need to push through.
Hope everyone else's runs go well today.

tina I'd be inclined to miss two days and run on Friday instead - you need to give your body a break between runs and going two days in a row would be a struggle (for me at least!)

BIWI Wed 12-Jun-13 08:57:11

Can I just point out - gently - that if you're looking to this or any form of exercise for weight loss, that diet is much more important? Diet accounts for something like 80-85% of weight loss, whereas exercise is only 15-20%. You have to do a lot of exercise to burn off those calories!

That said, if you use an app like mapmyrun, that will calculate how many calories your run has burned. To give you an idea, when I did the last run of the C25K, 30 minutes of running, which was 5.01K, burnt off 345 calories.

So if you can run 5K regularly, then you will burn off a fair amount of calories. If you're only able to manage it once or twice a week (and you may need to factor in recovery time as well), then in the overall scheme of things, it's not that much of a calorie reduction.

TwasBrillig Wed 12-Jun-13 11:59:04

I'm tracking with mfp and making some big diet changes too, but hoping the running will help!

MittenKitty Wed 12-Jun-13 13:43:20

Hello all, can I join in?

I'm on week 3 - although have been doing it longer than 3 weeks - did each week's runs 5 or 6 times to make sure i could cope with the increase

I'm very overweight - according to BMI charts still have 3 stone to lose and have already lost 2 through diet but although I agree completely diet is the big thing when it comes to weight loss the running does seem to help quite a bit. I feel it kick starts things when losing weight by dieting has one of those periods when you dont seem to shift

Anyway god luck all - its very inspiring reading everyone else's posts - especially as most people seem equally inexperienced. It's a big deal really to start this process of shuffling round the park when we're not used to it so well done us!

TwasBrillig Wed 12-Jun-13 14:58:24

Wow well done on the weight loss! I'm a staggering 5 stone overweight. . . Its nearly all happened in the last 2 years too so its taken me a while to realise how serious it had got. I was just going to diet but then thought I'd see if I could do this!

MittenKitty Wed 12-Jun-13 15:59:44

Go for it - it's a good time of year to get into the habit of exercise and I do think the combination helps. I'm just working on the principle of thinking about calorie intake a lot more - but on a weekly basis, rather than daily. And I just make sure that the overall week is less than it needs to be.
It seems to work - not super fast, but if you have faith it works and once you've lost a bit it motivates you to carry on.

Not too sure about wk 4 on the C25K thing though - suspect that might feel hard - knees are already complaining a bit but no guts no glory and the less weight I have to drag round with me the better!

TinaSurrey Wed 12-Jun-13 16:47:41

Agree about cutting back on calories being far better than exercise. I lost 3 stone by calorie counting alone some years ago and kept it off. It's only now I have crept back to 7-8lb over my ideal weight that I have decided to do running along side calorie counting. This is to help speed the weight loss so I get quicker results and then if I can stick at it I will use it to "buy" myself treat calories going forward. That's the plan anyway!!

Good news is that I can now run tomorrow so don't have to miss my due day after all. Bad news is it is pouring and forecast to continue tomorrow morning!

Well done & good luck all.

worley Wed 12-Jun-13 23:19:32

I lost three stone two years ago with calorie counting and the shred but have strayed to let some creep back on again. So back to calorie counting and trying couch to 5k to help me out as bores of the shred. I keep starting it but just not into it at moment. Wanting to get out and do it really

Forgetfulmog Thu 13-Jun-13 08:02:41

Right, need to catch up on this thread!

Thank you all for the kind words of support smile

I'm going to start back up either today of tomorrow - thankfully was only on w2 anyway so it's fairly gentle shock to ease me back into it!

TinaSurrey Thu 13-Jun-13 17:45:02

My first week 2 run completed this morning. Cannot believe I managed to run for 90 seconds! Glad it was only six times - I could not have done another :-)

TwasBrillig Thu 13-Jun-13 17:50:20

Well done! I've only had 4 hours sleep so not sure I fancy a run later and may have to postpone. Very impressed with the 90 seconds running!

BIWI Thu 13-Jun-13 17:55:50

Brilliant, Tina!

Forgetfulmog Thu 13-Jun-13 19:11:54

Well done Tina!

My plans to start running again have been scuppered - I've come down with a cold hmm

OpheliaBumps Thu 13-Jun-13 22:58:19

Oh Tinawell done! I've done 2 week1 runs, and I'm sure I won't be ready for week 2 after one more run. Is week 2 a lot tougher than week 1?

TinaSurrey Fri 14-Jun-13 02:17:05

Thanks everyone.
ophelia I did 4 week one runs as don't think I could have done it sooner but it wasn't actually (now I think about it) any harder that the first week. You do less runs & get longer recovery walks which feels like a treat!

BIWI Fri 14-Jun-13 08:29:34

Ophelia - you will absolutely be ready!

MittenKitty Fri 14-Jun-13 12:23:22

You will be ready Ophelia - i had done no running of any kind and am very overweight but I managed week 1 to week 2 okay. Week 2 I did 5 times before I moved onto week 3 and I'm going to do the same with week 3 - have done 4 so far.

Somebody on one of these threads earlier said 'trust the programme' and i think that's right - it does work - it's just if you're super fat you may need a tiny bit longer at some stages.

I'm loving it - but struggling to get the music sorted. i use the Zen c25k on a HTC Desire phone and can't work out how to download the NHS podcasts which I think have music with them? So would like some other source of free, exercise conducive, music - i tried radio but it kept cutting out. Ideally I want a nice playlist of 80s classics - any idea where I can get it - looked on google play on the phone but what they called exercise music was all people I hadn't heard of. Any ideas?

OpheliaBumps Fri 14-Jun-13 12:58:53

Thanks everyone, I'm pleased to hear there are fewer runs and longer rest sections, which is encouraging.

I ordered some running trousers and an armband for my ipod and they've just arrived, so I'm really keen to get out there and try them. I'm a bit disappointed that it's my rest day today, and looking forward to tomorrow.

I created a playlist of my own, just picking stuff I like which has a fast tempo, that helped last night as I was running along singing out loud blush until a cyclist overtook me with a very bemused look.

TinaSurrey Fri 14-Jun-13 19:17:05

Hi Mitten - you are doing so well. Clearly on a mission with this. I just had a sneaky look at week 3 - no way was my thought. Run for 3 mins - really? really? That's a big jump up from 90 seconds isn't it?! I can't help with the NHS as my hubby did it for me and with the help on here we did get it going along side the Nike app. I've since ditched the NHS for Get Running as I didn't like the music. Enjoying the peace at the moment but think adding music of my own will be something I'd like to do at some point so shall read replies with interest. 80s classics sounds an excellent idea too! I have no idea how to put music onto my iPhone - I know!!!

Ophelia - you can run AND sing?! Wow, it's all I can do to breathe! I think there is a right way to breathe when running and I don't have it. Anyone got any breathing strategies? I do think the armbands are good. I use my hubby's one. Only problem is its for an iPhone 4 not 5 so I have to put my phone in upside down which exposes the sockets to the rain.

As I ran yesterday I am out either tomorrow or Sunday. I'd like to say I will go tomorrow but not delighted at the prospect!!! I won't fall of the wagon though. Am dedicated to this cause :-)

BIWI Fri 14-Jun-13 19:32:13

Do you have iTunes, Tina?

TinaSurrey Fri 14-Jun-13 19:55:36

Yes blush on my laptop and I have been shown how to do it a while ago but brain just shuts down! Must get better. It's bit like not knowing how to work the lawn mower - just easier to delegate!

BIWI Fri 14-Jun-13 20:52:36

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now