Insanity workout

(299 Posts)
VitoCorleone Tue 04-Jun-13 20:50:42

Is anyone doing this/done it?

Done my fit test yesterday and done pretty shite

Done the first circuit today, fooking hell, couldnt even manage half of it! I thought id finished the circuit, was feeling pretty chuffed, then i realised that was just the warm up! Jeez

notyummy Fri 07-Jun-13 09:07:45

prolapsed not praised

notyummy Fri 07-Jun-13 09:15:32

I can do some exercise- walking!! It's getting a bit boring, but at least it is something. Am using MBTs to make it more challenging and doing 5 miles a day. In addition I am doing Callenetics, which is a real blast from the past/80s exercise phenomenon. It is similar to Pilates and seems too gentle to work, but it does and seems to have helped with maintaining muscle tone. I am also scouring the health and fitness boards on Pinterest to find stuff I can do that doesn't involve running, jumping, weights, cycling, cross training or sit ups. That's quite a long list...

Anyway, enough of me. Enjoy Insanity people, just heed the warning grin. And if anyone doesn't want to spend loads on Insanity, but wants a bastard hard challenge strength wise, I can thoroughly recommend Bob Harpers Super Strength DVD. He is such an engaging trainer, and it is fab to see that there is a lady in it who is right up there with the men strength wise.

Mitchy1nge Fri 07-Jun-13 10:22:40

ah Callanetics, is that the USAF thing? Pre 80s I think, I remember people doing it in the 70s (I think) is quite a hardcore muscle thing?

Mitchy1nge Fri 07-Jun-13 10:25:43

am thinking of calisthenics sorry

haha, I was puzzled cos is definitely full of sit ups and stuff

Lizzylou Fri 07-Jun-13 10:33:39

I did a few weeks of Insanity a few months back. I loved it, could certainly see an increase in fitness. Thing is, in this weather I like to exercise outdoors so have been running instead and cannot fit in both (work, life etc).
Come the darker evenings I will be dusting off my DVDs grin

How are you not all just covered in sweat? I don't think my front room carpet could cope with me doing it in this heat!

VitoCorleone Fri 07-Jun-13 11:36:16

Oh i definatley get sweaty! I have a towel with me and wipe myself down at each rest time.

I also walk alot now the weather is nice, i drive down to the beach with the kids in the morning and walk along the coast

Mitchy1nge Fri 07-Jun-13 18:01:06

if I didn't have time for outdoor and indoor stuff, outdoor would win

in fact v nearly sacrificed insanity for ages of Really Hard Work outside but thought can NOT start skipping these workouts on day three! And yes to sweat, have already showered twice (after spin, then gardening) now my hair is dripping

it was tough today, think I'm a morning person, loving it though!

Lizzylou Fri 07-Jun-13 18:29:53

Oh I loved it and found it very addictive, but couldn't fit running and Insanity in. So Insanity is my Winter workout I think. Could not hack it in this heat.
You'll all be ripped and megafit come September when I restart!

VitoCorleone Fri 07-Jun-13 19:18:08

I hate the plyometric cardio circuit, i just cant manage it, once ive done the warm-up ir ready to collapse sad i'll keep trying but i really hate it!

notyummy Fri 07-Jun-13 19:40:04
Mitchy1nge Fri 07-Jun-13 21:01:27

oh wow look, there are loads of Callanetics things!

are you doing it from a proper retro VHS video tape? grin I just spent AGES reading the reviews while eating chips dipped in ranch dressing, argh, am So Hungry today. Bet it's Insanity's fault!

Vito, did you ever find the pure cardio? I haven't got it either (sorry if we already had this conversation) but think it might be max cardio?

notyummy Fri 07-Jun-13 21:11:36

I have a book- and actually having just been on Amazon to find that link, I have just ordered a DVD!

Mitchy1nge Fri 07-Jun-13 22:32:15

I just ordered one too, am so suggestible - looked at all of them but got the original. Wonder if it really is better than Pilates?

notyummy Fri 07-Jun-13 22:35:57

Well I have done Pilates and seen more of a difference with this. I have clear line of abs on either side of my stomach from the side bend exercises. DH was well impressed.

Mitchy1nge Fri 07-Jun-13 22:49:06

I have vertical lines, one on each side and a middle one, but am not sure exactly what caused them - think it's probably horse riding? Only recently got more obsessed with yoga and sometimes a bit of Pilates (mat work mainly) because running was making me stiff. Love running but value my flexibility and strength much more. Hopefully will have time to try Callanetics when it arrives on Monday.

(it's so good to have somewhere to go on and on and on about exercising smile)

notyummy Fri 07-Jun-13 22:55:54

I like the callenetics because once you have learned them, you can literally do them anywhere, and therefore fit them in as well as other exercise. I started doing them when I was still running and doing circuit training, but could just do them in the evening as well whilst watching TV!

Mitchy1nge Sat 08-Jun-13 11:16:06

oh that sounds good, I can't do that with yoga because ? no idea how to link poses unless am following a routine, also it is a more mindful sort of thing isn't it!

so far insanity is putting me in a great mood, I love love love Shaun t (although disappointed that he didn't take his shirt off today sad)

vito today you will have finished the first week already! shock how do you feel? Fitter? Stronger? In agony?

officelady Sat 08-Jun-13 18:22:01

Hello fellow insanity lovers! This is my Very First mumsnet post so please be gentle with me ...
I started on Day 1 of insanity last Monday and all I can say is thank f*ck it's rest day tomorrow!
I had worked my way through most of Jillian Michaels' DVDs and wanted a new challenge, I bought Insanity after reading that crazy review on Amazon from a woman claiming to be the widow of an insanity victim. Bonkers!
So far I am loving Shaun T (especially when he takes off his top) and my fave workout so far has been cardio recovery. The plyometric one gives me serious calf-ache for several hours, I detest the warm-up and the level 1 drills make me want to cry! Pure Cardio should be renamed Relentless Torture in my opinion, although thankfully it's just one long circuit which is good because I was nearly dead by the end.
I'm not intending to lose any weight during the 60 days (it's actually 63 days - yikes) but I am logging my food consumption in MFP and I have given up alcohol just to add to the fun.
So - one week down, 8 to go. We will all be olympic quality goddesses by the end of this!!

VitoCorleone Sat 08-Jun-13 20:37:29

Hi all

well supposed to be my last day this week but i didnt manage to do it this morning and its carnival day here so been out all day, so ive classed today as my rest day and will carry on tomorrow. No never found pure cardio, but will have a look for max cardio and do that tomorrow since ive missed it

officelady Sat 08-Jun-13 21:17:42

In my set of DVDs the Pure Cardio is on a DVD together with another workout, Cardio Abs I think. Max Cardio is from the second batch of workouts (week 5 and beyond) - I daren't look at them yet, you're a braver woman than me!

Mitchy1nge Sun 09-Jun-13 08:34:02

ooooh hello officelady, welcome! Thanks, I didn't realise they were two separate things on one disc.

woke up in a friend's house this morning, desperate to get home and do today's workout but am watching the insanity infomercial while I wait for him to wake up (I don't have these channels so have never seen it before) it's making me want to buy it even though someone has already lent it to me

notyummy Sun 09-Jun-13 08:54:34

My DH claims that Shaun T's abs are 'unnatural' and look like 'a row of baby new potatoes' . grin

Lizzylou Sun 09-Jun-13 11:32:54

I think shaun t's abs look like plasticine grin
Pure cardio is my killer, I quite like the plyometric one confused

Mitchy1nge Sun 09-Jun-13 12:01:03

I can take or leave the abs, in fact his physique is not my favourite sort but there is something about him. I just want him inside me. Not much to ask is it?

Argh it was hard today - pure cardio and cardio abs - but considering it is called insanity it's all incredibly sensible isn't it grin they are really careful to show you people working at different speeds, taking I scheduled water breaks, collapsing for a few seconds then resuming the moves.

I think I might like this even more than spin shock

Mitchy1nge Sun 09-Jun-13 12:05:48

sorry, people taking unscheduled water breaks - the eating plan is bizarrely sane too, just real food , all food groups, as you like but little and often

plyometrics tomorrow and then I have a day off (handy cos am skiing that day I think) so it will be one week down and only seven or eight to go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now