Couch to 5K- join us if you dare, running is highly addictive!!

(963 Posts)

Another thread for us long termers and a new one for those just starting. Whatever stage you're at come and join us for lots of advice and moral support.

Old thread here

nextphase Sun 30-Jun-13 20:31:04

"Alpaca* I've struggled with run 2 of each week, but am still getting through. I've made it to week 5, and should be doing w5r2 tomorrow morning - my first day time run, all the others have been after the kids are in bed. Congrats on getting this far - sounds like you should try to keep one day ahead of the kids!

CaptainJamesTKirk Sun 30-Jun-13 22:21:34

My legs are stiff tonight after week 1 run 1... 8 minutes of running and I'm stiff! sad
Run 2 is tomorrow.

blizy Sun 30-Jun-13 22:23:35

captain. You should give your body a rest day tomorrow and run again on Tuesday.

NigellaEllaElla Sun 30-Jun-13 22:31:33

So tell me please, just how hard it is for an exercise phobic who has done literally zilch for 6 years. Am I going to even be able to complete Day 1? I'm overweight and sooooo unfit, but want to do something as I'm mid 30's and know how important it is o get my weight and fitness under control.

TwasBrillig Sun 30-Jun-13 23:39:32

Captain -apparently the rest days are really important, so worth building at least one in between each run.

Nigella - I'm mid 30s, obese and very unfit. Nothing like the 'me' I imagine I am in my head. I think run 1 might have been the hardest (or possibly wk 4run1).

I have told myself its ok if I don't make it first try, I can repeat sessions and take it slower but so far I haven't had to. I thought I was going to die after some of the wk 1 runs but now a month later I'm easily running 3 minutes. I'm a complete convert, although its taken me this long to trust and believe! Its an amazing feeling of achievement. I'm only at the end of wk 3 but love that I'm progressing. My only tip, apart from good shoes, is to slow down and then slow down again.

Good luck -its fab once you're into it!

DramaAlpaca Sun 30-Jun-13 23:58:38

Nigella if we can do it, you can do it! Go for it, there's lots of support on here.

Captain I find if I stretch afterwards as well as doing the five minute walk at the end I don't get stiff & sore. Also would agree with giving it another day for your muscles to recover before you do Run 2.

nextphase I think trying to keep one day ahead of the kids is a great plan to keep me motivated!

scarecrow22 Mon 01-Jul-13 06:17:28

further to our posts about stretching. captain reminds me that I think the reason we should cool down with the walk and stretch is to.stop the lactic.acid produced during exercise from.pooling in.our muscles - ie gently using muscles bit below anaerobic pace.
I'm hoping to see a physio layer this week for, among other things, some knee exercises. I will ask her about stretching and am happy to report back if helps others.
I'm on a rest day sad : happy running those who are not grin

scarecrow22 Mon 01-Jul-13 06:18:25

I meant to say it is lactic acid which causes stiffness, if I remember correctly

I was sore in week 1 CaptainJamesTKirk, but haven't been since then as its a slow build up. Sometimes I'm a bit stuff after a long run but by morning all is fine again!

Welcome NigellaEllaElla! When I started I was overweight and hasn't exercised since 2005 when I had about a 6 month spell of going to aerobics with a friend who then abandoned me! Starting in January was great because I did most of it in the dark! Don't feel self conscious most people will just think you're mad for running, anyone who does run will give you a wave and plenty of people here have increased a run as they didn't want to stop as someone came past so it may even help!

Lots to catch up on! Busy thread. Which is great. Lovely to know I am not the only one out there beginning to run. Although now that I can run 3 mins I class myself as a real runner! grin

Week 3 run 3 here today for me. Just waiting for my phone to charge before I head out.

I def feel it in my legs after a run - feel like an old woman going up the stairs! I stretch after when I remember but need to be sure I do it each time. Am hoping that as I get fitter and more used to it my legs will recover quicker. I am old and overweight so am not surprised my muscles are complaining!

CaptainJamesTKirk Mon 01-Jul-13 08:09:32

Nigella - I'm mid 30s too and realised if I want to be around along time I'm going to have to start exercising, no exercise in 5 years. What with commuting, having DS, generally busy life I thought I had no time to exercise. And I've only done week1 run1 ( run 2 tonight), but I went once DS was in bed,in total it was about 35 minutes (it would take me that long to get to the gym and back) so for a quick burst of exercise I think c25k is ideal.

Dingle Mon 01-Jul-13 09:08:09

Good morning all, hope you are all feeling bright and bubbly and raring to go!

Feeling happy this morning, despite regular snacking on chocolate blush and a sneaky meal at Nandos with hubby yesterday, I weighed in at 10st 13lb this morning. That's a steady loss of 8lb since starting.

Ordered myself some new trainers, nothing expensive or flash but I noticed the bubbly bits in the right heel of my current trainers have all popped. I am not experiencing any issues YET but I thought it best to renew them before it does cause issues.

Hey ho. Got to try to schedule in W4R1 today, juggling around DS being at home from school and the possibility of work this afternoon!

Feeling so positive about this. THANK YOU. xx

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Mon 01-Jul-13 09:57:59

Wow, this thread moves fast - turned my back for a couple of days and it's moved on pages and pages! Welcome to all the newcomers...

...and I would just add that the programme really does work and you can trust it. I can also add that it works for those of us who are... more than mid-30s. Not sure I want to admit to my age but it begins with a 5 blush I wasn't overweight when I started but hadn't done a lot of exercise for years, just the odd exercise class, and had never been a runner. I finished the programme in January and have been running ever since (I def. agree with cinnamon about starting in the dark so no one could see me, though now I don't care any more grin

TwasBrillig Mon 01-Jul-13 10:15:31

Having not really had any pain I've noticed a sort of ache just above my heel on the left of my left foot. Can't work out if its something that should be rested or run through. Any ideas?

Bakingnovice Mon 01-Jul-13 10:25:29

Did w4r1 today. Found it hard but 3 minutes into the 5 minute runs it got much easier. The time went faster too. The last 5 minute run I actually ran for 7 minutes as didn't hear the lady say start walking. So feeling a bit more confident about the 8 min run next week.

I haven't lost an ounce since starting running. Can someone send me some weight loss whooshes please!

TwasBrillig Mon 01-Jul-13 10:29:53

Wow baking that's fab! Well done! I'm supposed to be doing 4r1 next!

EeTraceyluv Mon 01-Jul-13 10:30:04

eeek. I haven't done a run since Thursday sad Had my rest day Friday then we had a big 'do' on Saturday which lasted the day and evening so had a couple of sherries wink. Yesterday I spent the day ferrying people around and just felt exhausted so am going to go tonight - I think I'll do one more week 4 run and see how it goes after my excessive weekend! Also have re-joined the gym today so am intending to go swimming on my 'days off'. I did that baking novice Didn't hear my chappie saying 'walk now' so struggled on in a confused way for about another 2 minutes!!

EeTraceyluv Mon 01-Jul-13 10:31:48

eeek. I haven't done a run since Thursday sad Had my rest day Friday then we had a big 'do' on Saturday which lasted the day and evening so had a couple of sherries wink. Yesterday I spent the day ferrying people around and just felt exhausted so am going to go tonight - I think I'll do one more week 4 run and see how it goes after my excessive weekend! Also have re-joined the gym today so am intending to go swimming on my 'days off'. I did that baking novice Didn't hear my chappie saying 'walk now' so struggled on in a confused way for about another 2 minutes!!

EeTraceyluv Mon 01-Jul-13 10:31:59

oops!

nextphase Mon 01-Jul-13 10:33:39

baking is your username a hint as to why you (and me) aren't loosing weight? Attempts to make cake and biscuits, and then demolishing the results no, thats not the remains of the toffee banana cake by my ankle

Anyone about to do or just finished week 5?? I can't beleive how quickly things progress this week, and panicking a bit about the w5r3 intro I heard coming back this morning. I've trusted her so far, but is she really expecting me to loose the big walk to recover after the long run, and run the whole lot???? eeccckkkk

W3R3 done! Enjoyed it. And feeling as if I can def move on to W4 on Wednesday. Although running for 5 minutes seems a bit daunting. But then again so did 3 minutes!

Dingle - well done on weight loss. Am hoping for a similar side effect! Although off on holiday to California on Thursday for over 3 weeks which won't help!

Sarah - I want to be able to run 5k before I turn 50 which is next year. So I am also a bit more than mid 30s.

'twas - sorry - no idea really. I would prob err towards resting tbh.

Baking - please don't scare me with thought s of 8min runs! smile

amigababy Mon 01-Jul-13 11:11:16

nextphase I'm just this very minute about to do w5r1. Wish me luck! As it's on my usual hilly road, not my back-up plan flatter road.

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Mon 01-Jul-13 11:20:27

nextphase - I felt like that about W5R3 and it took me a couple of attempts to get past W5... until I realised it was all in my head, and not my legs/lungs/whatever. So don't panic and don't let the thought of it defeat you, trust the programme and you will be able to do it. Tell yourself you can do it and you will! Yes, it's demanding, but there's nothing wrong with a challenge and you will do it grin Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Bakingnovice Mon 01-Jul-13 11:40:06

Nextphase - I'm doing 4:3 fasts each week and only bake packed lunch goodies which I tend not to eat. I'm a savoury girl. I was losing ok with just diet until I started running but enjoying the running too much to stop.

Twas - good luck with week 4.

Dingle - amazing losses

Bakingtins Mon 01-Jul-13 14:06:30

CaptainJames I was v stiff after W1R1 and had all sorts of bizarre aches and pains when running but it seems to have got less quite quickly. My body always seems to protest a bit at the first run, but then settles into it and I feel ok the rest days now (just completed w2) I stretch before and after (memories of school gym mistress) but have read that stretching cold muscles poss isn't good and maybe just at then end, or after your warm-up walk, is best.
Nigella you can do it. I was incredulous when Laura said I'd run for 8 minutes is that all at the end of the first session, but it did get easier by run 3 and am all fired up for wk 3 now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now