My name is Hellohellohihi. I pay £55pm for gym membership and have been about 6 times in the last 18 months.

(10 Posts)
hellohellohihi Sun 26-May-13 19:28:12

Yep.

It's awful I know.

I used to swim and do body pump mainly, sometimes used to get the running and yoga bugs for a while

DD is 17 months which explains some of it. I work 4 days a week and start early in the morning, so no time to go then. DH gets home about 7:45-8pm by which point I'm knackered. We're busy with our new house at weekends plus it seems to take up too much time if I go at weekends (gym doesn't open til 8am and then BP classes are at stupid times like 11am which eats into too much of my day).

I'm out of contract yet can't bring myself to cancel my membership. Argh!

There are a few places that do drop in classes round here (yoga and BP) but are expensive and the local pools aren't clean great.

Ironically I weigh the least I've done in years at the mo, but feel really unfit and tired

We also want to have another baby next year so I really need to cancel my membership don't I?

LIG1979 Sun 26-May-13 19:45:24

Can you pay as u go for a gym? I have been using payasugogym and you load it up with credit and then just pay each time you go. You can use tesco points to get 3x the amount of credit and it doesn't matter if you don't go so it is best of both worlds. Either that it or alot of gyms allow you to pay per session (although costs a bit more than pay as u go gym) - if you don't go often that is often a cheaper option than a monthly membership.

I have also just joined the gym group - it is £20 a month to use any of their gyms so doesn't matter if I don't use it much but is open 24 hours. Doesn't have the jacuzzi, steam room,pool, bar and cafe etc. that I used to love but I don't have time to spend hours each week at the gym. Hoping to try and get the odd early morning session in before dd wakes up - not sure if that is just wildly optimistic.

hellohellohihi Sun 26-May-13 19:47:45

The PAYG gyms round here are further away thus eating into more time, and really it's swimming and body pump I like...

Might have to try to get the running bug back.

happyreindeer Sun 26-May-13 19:54:01

What about aqua dance, aquacise? Etc. I love these at my gym.

hellohellohihi Sun 26-May-13 20:51:58

Ooh no am not a fan of aqua aerobics!

I used to do masters swim training so if I'm going to get in the pool I'd rather thrash out 80 lengths.

It's more the timings of it all. I could possibly make an 8pm class but it would be a case of running out the door the second DH gets home in order to make it. And I'm tired at 8pm after getting up at 5:30 for work.

When DS1 was a newborn I cancelled my gym membership and bought a treadmill for the garage, which cost about the same as a year's membership. I've used it on and off for the past five years, so its worked out decent value and it saves the time of driving to the gym etc.

hellohellohihi Sun 26-May-13 22:07:09

That's a good point rexexercising at home.

DD is usually in bed by 7pm and I could probably do a DVD or something before DH gets home...

Actually, this could be a real good solution ignores shiny new cozzie, goggles and swim hat mixed in with the odd run or swim at a pool that's a bit further away cleaner

PoppyWearer Sun 26-May-13 22:19:27

You don't even need to buy a DVD - you can watch workouts on youTube for free!

Search for Jillian Michaels and join us Shredders. 20 minutes per workout.

And if you spend £99 on AppleTV you can stream YouTube to your main TV, even easier!

hellohellohihi Mon 27-May-13 14:40:53

Have got an iPad, could just position that so I can follow the workout!

Ooh am all enthused and keen. Thanks guys!

put the cookies down

Pleaseputyourshoeson Mon 27-May-13 19:55:18

Have a look at fitness blender.com - it's free andover been using it since Christmas when I haven't been able to run/swim - they do targeted hiit workouts, cardio, strength, long/short/ specific areas or total body. I put it on my iPad and find it dead useful. Plus you never really have to do the same one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now