high intensity interval training - wtf

(24 Posts)
Mitchy1nge Fri 17-May-13 10:52:24

does anyone here LIKE this sort of thing?

and just OWWWW all over really sad I thought I liked working quite hard but no

Mitchy1nge Fri 17-May-13 11:29:49

if you are a fan can you please explain the pain:gain ratio and whether it is really better than working steadily for longer? cheers

HeySoulSister Fri 17-May-13 11:32:06

I love it!!

Sorry

Mitchy1nge Fri 17-May-13 11:45:02

do you do it to yourself or in a class or both?

I have enjoyed a sort of sculpting type class before, weights and cardio and little bursts of harder work, that was lovely, but 30 minutes of AAARRGGHH with twenty seconds of recovery between AAAARRRRGGHH - I think I want to hear that it's going to do something AMAZING to me because I feel completely fucked and unable to do my normal stuff

HeySoulSister Fri 17-May-13 11:52:20

Well I do a boot camp 3 times a week.... Been going 2 months now and have noticeable results

It's only an hour so push through it cos the results are so amazing

Mitchy1nge Fri 17-May-13 12:29:30

ah yes boot camp, ours is not quite the same as this HIIT class (although same evil instructor!) but that is a killer too although it is outside which I prefer

but a nice killer, this on the other hand was 30 minutes of torture, only about 3 people survived all the exercises, the rest of us were fucked and nobody looked particularly unfit except me

somehow have signed up for the next class anyway confused

Mitchy1nge Fri 17-May-13 12:34:55

am trying to find you a video to show you how they tortured us grin

Mitchy1nge Fri 17-May-13 12:46:01

I can't find anything like it, never mind, think it must be that the 10 or 20 second recovery slots were INHUMANLY SHORT?

Mondrian Fri 17-May-13 12:53:35

You gain more than you would with traditional workout in that one hour of HIT would be more beneficial than an hour of aerobic. It's great for those on a time budget but it's not however a replacement for endurance/aerobic workout so best to use in combo.

Mitchy1nge Fri 17-May-13 13:19:31

I was wondering if it was for people who can't find/make time for exercise but the class was full of v athletic people

I think I might ask about the recovery/exercise time ratio, I know the longest 'rest' was 20 seconds (still active but not at max intensity) but from what I've read it should be longer. It's a new thing there and maybe they just haven't worked it out right?

HeySoulSister Fri 17-May-13 17:48:26

Have you ever done shred? That kind of thing?

bigbuttons Fri 17-May-13 17:50:00

I Love Jillian Michaels and that's what she does, fab.

Mitchy1nge Fri 17-May-13 18:22:49

I've got shred, god no, nothing like that

Mitchy1nge Fri 17-May-13 18:25:50

thinking

ok so shred is 6-7/10 effort at its most intense but this HIIT thing was life-threateningly close to 10

Mondrian Fri 17-May-13 19:09:37

HIT is normally a short max (ish) effort (90 - 100%) followed by a short rest. Work/rest ratio could be anything between 3:1 to 1:1

Pro athletes use it as part of their training routine alongside endurance workouts and power workouts but everyone can benefit from it. Will be much more effective if done alongside endurance training.

Dumpylump Fri 17-May-13 19:16:32

Is this like a Meta-Fit sort of thing? Been doing that with trainer for a few weeks now, mixed in with running. I much prefer running, but love the fact that Meta-Fit is over and done in less than half an hour.....although I still sweat buckets and can't breathe properly after it grin

Mitchy1nge Fri 17-May-13 19:28:10

thanks Mondrian, that explains all the exceptionally athletic people there then (most classes I go to, like spin, are quite mixed)!

so it is meant to be that tough, fine, next time I know not to do the core conditioning thing and cardio machines beforehand, I will just do that class (and yoga after but that was helpful) - it has taken 24 hours for me to recover and think, ok now I can go to the gym. Have never had that problem before?

never heard of metafit, it also sounds a bit ouchy and difficult - shall I be brave and look it up?

Mondrian Fri 17-May-13 19:49:35

Lots of new phrases for actually old forms of exercise, HIT was actually invented at the turn of 20th century, then re-invented in 70s and here we are again. You can pretty much do HIT with anything - running, cycling, weights etc. it's usually used when you want to go through a threshold.

I would actually do a warm-up before and cool-down after any high intensity training to avoid injury. Just do an easy pace that moderately increases your heart rate. Jogging or Cycling (even swimming) are great for WU or CD.

Dumpylump Sat 18-May-13 10:19:22

Look it up and see what you think....my sisters trainer posted a rant on fb the other day because someone had told him that Meta-Fit was for girls, he was livid and had challenged man to complete a class!
He couldn't grin

Mitchy1nge Sat 18-May-13 12:41:00

looks like something I would like to try

but then so does 'snow'boarding on lava grin

Mitchy1nge Sun 19-May-13 18:02:07

I'm not at all convinced by this thing, spent the night doing High Intensity Interval 'Dancing' (bit of dancing, lot of sprinting round the dance floor and vaulting the speakers etc) and 1. appear to have gained 0.6kg and 2. my calf muscles are on fire. Prob should have stayed in and stuffed my face watching Eurovision.

carachefmom Tue 21-May-13 16:16:21

I love HIIT high intensity interval training especially using my Xiser it is an ideal piece of equipment to use for burst training, my husband and I both use it, we use it 3 days a week 4 times a day for short bursts 1 min at a time 20 seconds rest in between 20 second sprints. My husband has started using it for tabatas on the days when not doing our regular exercise. The website has some fab videos to follow and loads of info about how the Xiser can work for you. www.sprinttraining.co.uk

high intensity interval training can be painful at the time but the pain goes very quickly and the benefits are amazing after using my xiser I have lost weight/inches my skin is better and feel so much healthier it has even helped with my hormones..lol grin

bettycocker Thu 23-May-13 21:25:35

I bloody love it. It gives you a huge endorphin rush when you finish. It makes me feel like Superwoman. grin

Mitchy1nge Thu 27-Jun-13 12:25:06

ah there you are thread, found you

am so glad I went to that horrible class, it has made the insanity workouts feel so sensible and manageable by comparison

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now