Anyone else do Parkrun?

(53 Posts)
Ooopsadaisy Sat 11-May-13 10:43:11

It's (almost) the highlight of my week.

Really motivational and friendly.

Just wondered if I am alone and if anyone else loves it as much as I do?

EauRouge Sun 12-May-13 09:12:37

Ours hasn't been going long, but yes, it has always been men at the top. The top 15 from yesterday are all men and there are only 7 women in the top 30. Strength is probably a big factor. I also think <gets on feminist soapbox> that women are not encouraged to do sport in the same way men are, and they are not encouraged to be as competitive. There are very few women in my category (SW30-34), I've no idea why this is.

I want to do some hill training so I can get faster. I think some people are surprised by this, thinking that I just want to bimble around to keep my weight down. I don't give a feck about if I am skinny; I want to be fit, and fast.

ItsNotUnusualToBe Sun 12-May-13 09:20:48

Parkrun is one of my running goals - well, two actually.

When I get out of bed, I'll be doing W4 R3 of C25K. I plan on doing my first parkrun in 5 weeks time. But my favourite goal is to do a parkrun in Australia when we visit family in August. I am expecting them to be astonished.

HeySoulSister Sun 12-May-13 10:17:15

itsnot go you!!!

Ooopsadaisy Sun 12-May-13 10:23:19

Yes it is a crying shame that women are not encouraged to be sporty.

Our Parkrun has plenty of women across all age bands but the men absolutely dominate the top half of the results board (showing off 'cos I was 4th woman!!!!!!). I really want to see more women getting up there and chasing the men on those bloody hilly bits. Only 1 woman in the top 40 here. 2 of the top 4, including the top woman, was under 19 (not me, I'm afraid - I'm 44!)

I am not a feminist, but I really wish more women could give them a run for for their money (excuse the pun).

EauRouge - hill running is the answer for stamina. Go for it. I am trying to run in bursts of speed to get quicker. My new target is 22.30. I am also tempted to go for my first 10k race this summer. I have run further but not under race conditions.

ItsNotUnusualToBe - Wow! Good luck! Am extremely jealous of Parkrun Australia plan. That sounds amazing. (Might start packing and join you!)

EauRouge Sun 12-May-13 10:32:17

Wow, that's a fast target time! I'm aiming for under 30 mins but then I only finished C25K a few weeks back. I haven't been able to run for over a week now due to illness and I'm really missing it.

I'm lucky that there's a big park on the side of a massive hill in my village so I can do laps of that for hill training. Not sure how often I should be doing it though, or how long for. I've been aiming to build up from 5k to 10k gradually and at the moment I've been doing 2 runs of just over 5k and then one Parkrun in a week. I'm trying to figure out how to fit hill training in and still have rest days. If anyone's got any tips then I would love to hear them!

Ooopsadaisy Sun 12-May-13 10:41:46

I only started running properly about 7 months ago. I was pretty fit already. My first Parkrun time was over 33 minutes so it can be done. I've just gradually upped my goal each time I achieve it. 22.30 is a long term goal and I am determind to do it.

I only get to run once or twice a week due to work/family etc.

I didn't follow C25K, but I have a running friend who motivates/encourages and got me started when I was a breathless plodder. She's brilliant but we rarely get a chance to run together.

HeySoulSister Sun 12-May-13 10:45:50

at running club we did hill training today....very effective!! not as bad as I thought,but I always try and incorporate some hills in my 5k runs....maybe its why my time is a bit slow? a flat 5k might give me a better result

Ooopsadaisy Sun 12-May-13 10:54:21

I don't belong to a running club as the one I wanted to join runs when I am at work. Now is not a good time to ask about changing my hours so I daren't.

I am interested to hear that they do "training" rather than just going out for a run. I could do with some speed-merchants to pace me at a level I can cope with. This doesn't really work at Parkrun because I haven't found the right person to stalk!

I set my sights on one man (for pace-setting purposes of course) but he had an amazing kick in the last km which left me sucking up dust in his wake. It probably had the adverse effect because I really struggled to even finish.

Lizzylou Sun 12-May-13 10:59:09

22.30 shock
I am so far away from that.
envy over Parkrun Australia. What a goal!

I did surprise myself by checking if there were any Parkruns in Anglesey before our camping trip last weekend. There wasn't. None in N Wales at all. I also decline social events on Fridays so I am fresh for Saturday morning.

Sooo, how do I get faster? Was wondering about doing last few weeks of c25k? My runs here are already very hilly.

melliebobs Sun 12-May-13 15:35:10

I do interval training once a week

Monday-hill/speed intervals for 30 mins if ur working to ur max u wouldn't want to do much longer
Tuesday- swim
Wednesday-long dog walk
Thursday-long run (trying to build to 10k)
Friday-swim
Saturday-ParkRun
Sunday- long walk smile

It's working slowly

EauRouge Sun 12-May-13 16:11:41

Thanks Mellie, that's really helpful. I could replace one of my runs with hill training to mix it up a bit.

jchocchip Wed 29-May-13 13:51:28

I love parkrun - I'm very slow but I want to do my 50th run before my birthday grin. C25k graduate here, surprised myself smile

pennygallops Fri 31-May-13 21:54:10

Love, love, love parkrun. I started in December, then my DS joined me in January and now my DH and DD also make the weekly visit to parkrun. Welcoming, friendly and no pressure.

jchocchip Sat 01-Jun-13 08:04:20

parkrunday who is running today? How did your run go?

BettyTurpinEyes Sat 01-Jun-13 10:50:24

Did my first parkrun today having read about it on here! Am only just getting back into running after having the kids, and had forgotten how much I love it grin I was really nervous in case I came in last, but according to my running app i came in just under 32 minutes, so I'm happy enough with that, and there were a fair few behind me! Will have to see what my official time is... So glad I found it, just wanted to thank you all for introducing me to parkrunning grin

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Sat 01-Jun-13 10:55:24

I volunteered today <polishes halo>.

It was good fun, met some nice people and saw all the runners from crazily fast men who didn't look as though they were even trying to the walkers at the back.

pennygallops Sat 01-Jun-13 11:33:12

Well done bettyturpineyes - 49 to go to get your 50 T-shirt!

I also volunteered ohoneohtwoohthree - I love watching the styles of different runners and cheering people on. My DD joined me - think marshalling is more her thing.

EauRouge Sat 01-Jun-13 13:14:37

My DDs love volunteering, they made flags last time to wave as everyone went by. DD1 wants to do tail running next.

I planned to run today but I've been struck down with lurgy. I probably ought to have a day off anyway, I've been running 3 times this week and dug a new pond in the garden.

Well done new parkrunners and good luck on getting new PBs to everyone else.

pennygallops Sat 01-Jun-13 16:37:01

DD and I are the tail runners next week. Hoping my knee will be ok by then.

jchocchip Sat 01-Jun-13 20:15:32

Well done betty That is a respectable time smile. I didn't get a pb today but enjoyed my run in the sun. Loads of people there today smile Thanks to all the volunteers. I will volunteer again after I get to 50 which should be next month smile

BettyTurpinEyes Sat 01-Jun-13 20:56:23

Thanks guys, can't wait for next week now! I use a treadmill at home for my speed intervals and hill work and it seems that it's working - I did think though that I would find the trail runs harder because you have no choice but to keep going at your chosen pace on the machine, but it actually seems to be the other way around confused I seem to have much more energy left in my legs when I run outdoors! In hindsight I feel like I should have gone faster from the outset today but at the time I was worried I'd run out of steam as I had already done 4 miles last night...I think it's going to take a few more parkruns to work out my ideal pace! And I think I'm going to make Friday night a rest night,then I can really go for it on Saturday morning!!

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Sat 08-Jun-13 10:37:26

How were the park runners today?

Blue, I wonder if we might go to the same one (it had a birthday today)?

I started running with a really nice lady, got chatting going around the bottom and ended up not being able to breathe going up the hill. Then got a cramp in my foot from starting too fast. I didn't see her again smile.

EauRouge Sat 08-Jun-13 10:51:19

DH did his first Parkrun today! The other runners were suitably horrified at his crappy old trainers that he uses for DIY. I've been trying to talk him into getting proper shoes but he wanted to see if he liked running first. Well, he had a great time and says he wants to go again grin Can't wait to find out his time!

viewwitharoom Sat 08-Jun-13 16:26:58

Don't have a local Parkrun but have looked into those taking place in East Midlands so I can see if I can have a run when I am visiting family next month. Anyone know what the Leicester or Coventry ones are like? Are they fairly flat!?

BettyTurpinEyes Sat 08-Jun-13 20:28:20

30.02 today. I'm kicking myself a bit for not finding the extra couple of seconds from somewhere, although I could feel someone running right on my shoulder for the last half a kilometer or so, and I was determined not to let her pass me, so I was going at full stretch - I don't think I could have given it any more! I know its not a race, but I'm a real perfectionist and I love to compete, even if it's only against myself. Not that I'm any good, but I like to know that I'm progressing - I think Parkrunning is going to prove highly addictive!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now