how do you do barre stuff (pilates/ballet) at home?

(6 Posts)
Mitchy1nge Fri 03-May-13 15:49:20

Ideas please if home is a very small house and you don't want to spend £££ on a portable barre?

I know it's easy enough to make a fixed one but the ideal room I have for that has a concrete floor and the thought makes me wince!

Mitchy1nge Fri 10-May-13 11:42:09

I was completely convinced that THOUSANDS of people would do barre exercises at home when I started this thread - not just using the back of the sofa either. Maybe I am a freak?

Dejected Fri 10-May-13 11:52:47

When I did ballet (many years ago) and practiced at home my mum always made me use the back of a dining room chair as a barre. I don't think it would have occurred to her to buy a barre.

Could you make a portable barre yourself?

Love your user name grin

taxi4ballet Fri 17-May-13 17:02:35

Until we found a portable barre going cheap on eBay, my daughter used a portable clothes rail.

You do need to weigh it down a bit to stop it waggling about though - we used old Argos catalogues!

LIZS Fri 17-May-13 17:05:06

laminate floor with plenty of underlay ? Chair with high back

Mitchy1nge Fri 17-May-13 18:32:10

thanks, some good ideas!

I could just find a class but am trying to establish good daily yoga/Pilates/barre habits at home - running is making me stiff I think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now