Good core strength, not bad fitness, so why

(9 Posts)
UnbendyWendy Mon 29-Apr-13 12:10:33

...can't I do certain pilates moves? I'm thinking of the one where you are sitting, and you bring your legs up together and straight in front of you, so your shape is lik a V? Or just lying on your back, scissoring legs - my legs have to be very bent. It can't just be tight hamstrings can it? What can I do to get my body to do these things?

Does it feel like tight hamstrings?do they feel stretched when you try?can you sit with your legs out straight in front of you and up straight with your lower back arched? Rather than hamstring flexibility it could be the muscles around your pelvis which are either not flexible or not strong enough. Do you know if your hip flexors are strong?

Good ways to stretch your hamstrings and all muscles to help the v-sit shape are:

Stand up straight, arms in the air, arch your back and slowly lower your body forwards keeping your lower back slightly arched, head looking forwards, arms pulled up behind your head if you can, and see how far you can go

KatoPotato Mon 29-Apr-13 12:20:16

I would try doing some deep sciatic nerve stretches first? How long have you been doing pilates?

UnbendyWendy Mon 29-Apr-13 12:36:16

Ok...
I do have tight hamstrings - I can't sit up straight on the floor with my legs out in front, nor can I bend over my legs or bend forwards - it just won't go unless I bend my legs.

I get pain in the crease at the top of my legs when I do quite a few pilates moves - is that hip flexors?

How do I know whether it is my pelvis muscles that are the problem? I had SPD in my last pg, which is gone now, aside from a weakness where my pelvic bones really hurts if, say, I use my foot to move a heavy box (by pushing against it with the inside of my leg iyswim?).

My hips on occasion also sort of 'pop out' very painfully if I straddle something(!) too wide, but it is instant, and as soon as it happens, I leap back into a better position and it feels fine again.

Aww gawd, I sound almost decrip don't I?

If I do that stretch and bend MoreSnowPlease, I can get my body parallel with the floor but no lower unless I bend my legs.

What are deep sciatic nerve stretches? I have been doing pilates for, um, eight years lol!

Thanks!

KatoPotato Mon 29-Apr-13 12:40:27

Lie on your back with one knee bent to start, take the opposite leg by the calf or use a towel on the arch of your foot and try to straighten your knee as much as possible and pull. it's not a muscle stretch, its a nerve stretch and should feel 'nervey'

www.pilatesunion.com/exercise-of-the-month/10/

In the link it advises stetching to side or to chest, I stretch to chest.

KatoPotato Mon 29-Apr-13 12:40:54

Oh and as you get into the stretch, straighten the opposite leg.

UnbendyWendy Mon 29-Apr-13 12:45:00

I have done that stretch before Kato - I recall it made my knee boing up and down! What effect should it have (on doing it and long term)?

KatoPotato Mon 29-Apr-13 13:05:01

It makes my lower leg tremble! It helps by lengthening the sciatic nerve therefore should make everything work better and aid your flexibilty.

Please use with caution, I'm not a professional by any manner or means but my instructor has us do this stretch at every session, just before the dreaded 5 minute plank!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now