Walking trainers? Barefoot style or chunky soles?

(4 Posts)
ZolaBuddleia Sun 28-Apr-13 21:47:11

Am hugely heavy so running is painful. Want to do more walking but don't know what to wear on my feet, do I get walking trainers? The barefoot style ones get good reviews but I'm not sure whether that's the way to go if you're heavy.

Yonihadtoask Mon 29-Apr-13 17:25:32

The barefoot trainers need getting used to. Your legs and feet work in a different way - and it can cause soreness in the calves if you aren't used to them.

I would just buy some comfortable, padded, supportive trainers for walking. Then if you start increasing distances and want to run - you must go for a gait analysis to check if you need any special support in your running shoes. Sweatshop do this - and other sports shops/running shops.

Get out there smile

ZolaBuddleia Mon 29-Apr-13 17:30:13

Yes, I thought maybe the barefoot ones would give me the same foot and leg pain as I'd bet spending a day walking around in thin soled shoes.

Yonihadtoask Mon 29-Apr-13 17:38:23

Some runners swear by them. I run quite a bit, and I think I will stick to my proper bouncy shoes for now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now