A general climbing thread, for newbies and old timers, trad, sport, boulderers and indoor climbers all welcome!

(19 Posts)

Hellow fellow climbers!

I just thought it would be nice to have somewhere to hang out and chat all things climbing related. I know there are other climbers here on MN! grin

Anyway, I am counting down the weeks till I can get back out on some real rock, it has been too cold to venture out so far, but I can't wait!

I am mainly a boulderer and sports climber, and hang out along the bolted routes of the South coast a lot, or at good old Harrison's Rocks in Kent which is my closest rock.

I wish I didn't live in the flattest part of the country <sigh>

wingedangel Thu 18-Apr-13 20:21:56

Hello smile

I mostly lurk but couldn't resist replying to this smile

I have been climbing for 5 years. Mostly indoors, bouldering and top rope. I've done a lead course and tried it once outside but it scared me!

I used to live 15 minutes from Bowles and Harrisons but sadly I moved to Hull 18 months ago, and outdoor rock is a long way away now. And last summer was a washout anyway.

I've lost my mojo recently, I don't feel I've got any better for ages. I've got a chip on my shoulder about being a girl and therefore not as strong and shorter than the routes are built for! I'm not flexible, so I don't even have a feminine advantage!

Off to Rock City tomorrow and will try and find positive attitude from somewhere!

elastamum Thu 18-Apr-13 20:29:44

I have huge admiration for you!

I'm not much of a climber, but I have spent an awful lot of time belaying my DC. Ds2 was obsessed and did the BRYCS series for a while. We did some outdoor at Portland last yr, but have been mostly indoor -even though we live near the peaks.

Belaying my 11yr old to lead 6a up the 30m tower at Ratho was one of my highlights last yr.

tiredlady Thu 18-Apr-13 20:31:41

Hello,
Can I join this thread even though I am not technically
a climber?
My dcs and dh are ridiculously into climbing to the extent that it's taking over our lives! All I hear about is how chuffed they are to have lead climbed a 6c+ and how much they can campus. They spend nearly all their free time climbing, talking about climbing and driving half way round the country to climbing competitions (north wales this week) so that I feel like a totally lonely climbing widow.

My dh says I should join them but really.. it looks so hard and I think the sight of me trying to get my ample arse up a wall might scare the children

tiredlady Thu 18-Apr-13 20:34:05

elasamum - we were at Ratho last year too. It's vast and awesome. I was very impressed!

wingedangel Thu 18-Apr-13 20:49:28

Tiredlady, its an awful lot of fun,give it a go! The exhilaration when you get to the top, conquering a route you've been working on, is pretty awesome.

Yay! Lots of other climbers!!!

Tiredlady you should definitely give it a go! It is amazing fun!

I have been taking DS climbing with me since he was 2 years old, it is nice to read about other people taking their kids climbing with them too!

edwinamerckx Mon 22-Apr-13 18:21:21

I used to climb a lot in my twenties. Ended up scaring myself shitless on Cloggy in bad weather with a (soon to be ex-) bf who get completely gripped on lead. He wouldn't jump, despite having good gear and I ended up having to climb up to him and swap lead, all in driving sleet. He was just an unresponsive ghost, white as a sheet, stuck to the rock. Even now, my hands just start pouring sweat just thinking about it.

I've only climbed occasionally since, and mainly on non-serious routes, but DS is certainly showing an aptitude so I might have to overcome my fear sooner rather than later!

wingedangel Mon 22-Apr-13 20:59:50

Edwina that sounds horrendous. Huge respect for you for doing any further climbing. I hope you find ways to get back into it.

I climbed indoor trope at the weekend. Which now feels very weedy. I did ok, but I'm towards the end of doing Jillian Michaels 90 Day Body Revolution so I haven't climbed feeling fresh for ages and it's showing.

Edwina it is good that you have kept climbing, it really hard to do after you've had a serious scare.

I've had a few very scary times too, that shake you to the core and bring home just how dangerous climbing can be, and how vulnerable we really are.

edwinamerckx Tue 23-Apr-13 18:36:16

overmydeadbody - it's pretty rare that I climb nowadays, occasional trip to the local indoor wall, and I had a business trip to Spain and tacked on a couple of days in El Chorro with a work colleague earlier this year - I quite like sunshine, limestone and nicely spaced bolts now smile

wingedangel Sun 28-Apr-13 09:48:58

This morning I finished Jillian Michaels 90 Day Body Revolution (phew!) so am now refocusing on climbing. My poor DP is missing it. Not sure why he couldn't go bouldering on his own though! Hope I get my mojo back as not really been feeling it since Christmas now...

Edwina you make climbing in Spain sound very appealing smile

Oo, nice to see who climbs here. I'm an indoor climber. Just playing at the moment but hoping to get out on sandstone near Tunbridge Wells later this year, I've climbed there before with an ex bf who was an idiot really but I want to do it properly smile

I am hoping to do some courses later this year too to start learning more about lead climbing, haven't done it yet!

wingedangel Tue 07-May-13 23:02:12

Confusedpixie, all my mates are posting on fb about getting outdoors around T Wells at the moment. I will be jealous (in a nice way!) of you getting out there!

Do you climb at Evolution? A lot of people there go outdoors for the summer.

not evolution, not sure where that one is blush I climb at k2 in crawley and at a small local wall in brighton that's about six metres smile

confused climbing at TW is a good place to start! We've got a coast to coast cycle trip planned for May so we've been focussing every weekend on cycling recently, but I can't wait till it's over so we can go back to focussing on climbing.

Just wish we had more days in the weekendgrin

wingedangel Fri 10-May-13 19:38:52

Evolution is a bouldering wall on the edge of Ashdown Forest. Its not massive and the featured wall for your feet makes it trickier than using holds, but more realistic for outdoor climbing. Its 7 miles from T Wells. They don't change the routes too often and sometimes put too many difficult ones up, but its my home wall so I still have a soft spot!

I'm off to rock city tonight. Friends are out in the peaks tomorrow but I have too many errands to run and can't join them. Boo!

wingedangel Fri 14-Jun-13 20:02:25

No one climbing at the moment?

I just de-fluked a 6a. Must be graded wrong but I don't care!

Jucymyname Sat 15-Jun-13 10:11:41

Well done Angel smile

I used to climb a little, now I just watch my DH and 3.5yoDD. My DH is seriously commited, he just wants to improve and climb all the time. We live near climbers paradise Sheffield and Peak District smile

I got scared few years ago, had panic attack 50cm of the ground hmm and can't get back to it. I prefer walking and running. Maybe I'll try something really easy sometime soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now