What useful exercise can I do with a broken leg?

(9 Posts)
clam Sat 06-Apr-13 01:05:51

Ah, I think I have the Rosemary Conley DVDs. At least, I have a set of 3, (and was in fact on my way downstairs to do one when I fell) Fat Burner etc.. which might be what you mean. I do vaguely recall some people sitting on chairs (possibly waving beach-balls around?), but I discounted it as being for 'old' people. How the mighty fall, eh?

Had a go in the pool whilst at a hotel last weekend, but felt very nervous if anyone swam too close. Whilst it didn't hurt when actually in the water (and was good for getting the correct gait for walking that flexes the heel and calf muscles), it ached like hell later on.

I have borrowed an exercise bike from a friend, again to help with ankle flexibility, but it's not a terribly good one, so don't know how useful it'll be at fat-burning.

Appreciate your help, all.

mymatemax Fri 05-Apr-13 19:56:15

Yes sorry op, couldn't resist. As long as u are able to warm up properly there are loads of online work outs. Even the insanity one has big sectios for abs. What about adjusting a pilates work out, will keep u toned until able to get back to full fitness.

How about working out to a DVD? Rosemary Conley Ultimate Whole Workout has a routine in it aimed at people restricted to a chair. It is an aerobic workout, so should burn off some calories for you.

You could do upper body weight training at the gym or at home with a bench or even a dining chair and a couple of dumbells. Try bicep curl to shoulder presses, tricep kickbacks, chest press (lying down on bench or floor). Supermans for your back. Planks, side planks and crunches for your tum. It won't burn tons of calories in itself but it will strengthen and tone your upper body and more muscle means a better metabolism. Try to minimise rest between sets, best to switch between pairs of exercises with no rest in between (super sets) so that you keep your heart rate up and get the most out of it, calorie and fitness wise.

It sounds like cardio, which would burn fat and calories faster, is going to be difficult for a while (agree with swimming as soon as you are able/allowed) so you may have to stick to this and try and watch your diet. sad for you, sounds pretty miserable.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 05-Apr-13 19:46:41

Swimming would probably be the best, but how is the movement in you ankle? Would it be sufficient to manage on an exercise bike?

Other than that, you could try boxing moves. In a mini squat punching the air in front of you - add some small weights to it to increase the intensity.

Good luck.

ROFL at max! Sorry OP. What about some sort of boxing?

mymatemax Fri 05-Apr-13 19:36:21

Hop

LittleFeileFooFoo Fri 05-Apr-13 19:33:15

Swimming, if you're allowed to go in the water. Shouldn't hurt the leg if you can do backstroke/freestyle. Kicking isn't required. Just be careful pushing off the wall!

clam Fri 05-Apr-13 19:31:20

Broke leg in 3 places 12 weeks ago (spiral break on tibia, fibula and ankle). Had surgery to insert rod, plate and pins.
Although initially I lost around half a stone (sick on morphine in hospital), since I got my appetite back I feel as if I'm expanding by the day and turning into a blimp. Obviously I've been doing the exercises that the physio has given me for mobility and flexibility of the ankle/calf muscles, but I feel as if I need something more 'cardio.'
It's very hard to lose weight by reducing alcohol food intake alone. I want to get moving, but it's very hard as I can barely walk without crutches.
Any ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now