First run out in about 6 months and I struggled- I don't have to go back to couch to 5k again surely???

(5 Posts)
golemmings Sat 06-Apr-13 21:50:57

DH is a fully paid up member of the hedgehog club and started again this week after stopping in October. He's gone straight back to c25k week 5 and is stiff and sore now but found the running OK.

Anifrangapani Sat 06-Apr-13 08:11:49

I took a running break over winter too. The first few times out were sooooo hard, but it is getting easier. I am going out this afternoon to take advantage of the lack of wind for the first time in ages.

tiredemma Sat 06-Apr-13 08:06:42

Thanks for your reply. Im going back to my running club this morning but going to go with the 'slower' group and see how this goes- then perhaps make a decision about whether i need to start C25k again. Its amazing just how quick your body loses it fitness! I wish it was this easy to lose bloody weight!!

Hi...

I would start from the beginning again tbh - I have done so several times over the years when I have had a break like yours - if its been as long as 6 months then you will have lost a lot of fitness, but you will probably regain it more quickly than last time....

You could start with say week 2 and see how it goes - if its too easy, you can always jump forward and see how you get on.....

In terms of the breathing etc - were you trying to run at the same pace you ran the GNR? if so, may be slow down a bit and see if that helps you run for longer between stopping

I started again at the end of January after 2/3 months off, and found it fairly easy to build up more quickly.... I was doing 4 or 5 runs a week and within a month was back to running consistently - then managed to jump to longer distances than I had previously run. Now, after 10 weeks, I am running between 20 and 30 miles a week over say 5 runs varying between 3 and 10 miles, and I am seeing my pace improve too...

Dont be too hard on yourself - just get out there and do it!

tiredemma Fri 05-Apr-13 13:06:28

Im so pissed off with myself- last year I did 2 10k runs AND the Great North Run (finishing at 2hr 26mins) - so its not like I'm a novice.
Due to work commitments and doing a Masters Degree I gave up running once the nights got too dark (and cold!)

Went skiing last week and really noticed how unfit I was so decided to sign up for 10k runs again (and a half marathon in october) thinking I would just glide back into it.
God I struggled- had to keep stopping- couldn't control my breathing.

anyone else found it difficult to 'get back into it' after a break? please tell me it will get better!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now