Time for a new bike! Come and recommend one to me.

(17 Posts)
nenevomito Thu 04-Apr-13 18:39:08

I bought a Falcon Storm last year when I couldn't drive. Chose it was it was only £150 and I didn't know whether I would cycle lots, so it didn't matter. Fast forward a year on and I cycle into work and back every day and for fun on the weekends and I love it, but I want to upgrade my chunky heavy bike for something a bit lighter.

Only restriction is that I want something I can fit a child seat onto the back of so I can take my DD out with me. I've been thinking of a Claude Butler hybrid as they are lighter weight and not too pricey.

Any other suggestions?

Well Ijust bought the Mongoose Corssway 200 and love it. Nice hybrid, not pricey, comes with a rack and mudguards.

I'm guessing you want a hybrid yes?

lljkk Fri 05-Apr-13 09:38:23

Budget?

Thistledew Fri 05-Apr-13 09:46:10

What cycling will you actually be doing? Is is just a mode of transport or for fun as well? All on road or some off?

Thistledew Fri 05-Apr-13 09:47:25

I mean, when you say fun at the weekends, how far, how long for, what surfaces?

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Fri 05-Apr-13 09:51:24

Whatever you buy can i recommend you register it with Bike Register - it means you have the frame number registered to you should some little toerag relieve you of it. It's free and it's helping me get my bike back!

I bought this saracen as my commute bike. It's my first hybrid - I was commuting on a road bike before I fell off - and I love the stability and comfort I get from it.

Nice bike Hotel!

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Fri 05-Apr-13 12:03:58

I rather like yours, overmydeadbody

I wanted a Marin Fairfax but couldn't justify the price when it's going to be killed by London potholes or stolen by London thieves.

Thistledew Fri 05-Apr-13 19:42:25

I like your nickname HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform. Rule number 5, by any chance?

I agree, that Marin is a nice bike for a hybrid.

I love my bike - bought it about a month ago. 'Etienne' £200 in Halfords. I really wanted a step-through design so I can ride it in a skirt and not have to change into sports gear to use it. Also has mudguards and chain guard. Eighteen gears. Hybrid bike. It is perfect!

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Fri 05-Apr-13 20:02:45

Haha Thistledew, rule number five indeed!

I shan't brag about how I implemented it breaking my foot halfway through a ski week, oh no

Back to the OP - do you have space for two bikes? My hybrid copes well with local commuting, my road bike for training and my mtb for mud and fun at the weekends. Can you not buy a bike which has the function your current one doesn't have and keep this one for either commute or weekend fun.

It is an undisputed fact that the number of bikes a person needs in n+1, when n is the number of bikes currently owned grin

nenevomito Sat 06-Apr-13 13:39:55

Hello and thanks for all of the tips. I've been eyeing this one up

I do have space for two bikes, yes and may well keep my old one for when I don't have smallest heave on the back.

Budget - up to £300 really. I'd love something really lightweight with disk breaks, but its not what I need (and I also want a new bathroom more!)

nenevomito Sat 06-Apr-13 17:12:31

Hmm, tried out the Viking Keswick at a shop today and totally wrong.

I'm now looking at Claud Butler city / trekking range. Does anyone have any experience of their Windermere, classic, Odyssey or Legends?

lljkk Sat 06-Apr-13 19:41:50

I'd go for the lightest weight one.

Lucky13 Sat 06-Apr-13 21:47:45

Have you looked at Decathlon? I've been searching for a new bike and their choice seemed really good and highly recommended.

Just don't buy one from Evans - just got my new one today. It's a fab bike, but shockingly bad service.

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Sat 06-Apr-13 22:01:02

Funny, Lucky , I had amazing service at Evans local to us and ghastly service from the LBS. What did you get?

I've not tried the Claud Butler range, babyheave , but would suggest going for a test ride on everything in your budget and size in the local shop and buying the one that fits you the best!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now