general running thread

(361 Posts)
LillethTheCat Sun 17-Mar-13 14:48:31

I mean for everyone including those who have graduated from the C25K. Do we have one?

Im coming up to my one year anniversary of running now. I have started to do Parkruns as they have now started up near me. I have just come back from a 10K too and am currently feeling the post run euphoria. I would like to tell people about it, but DH isn't that interested (just like Im not interested in his hobbies)

So do we have a thread already which I cant find? Or can this be it?

Hedgepig Thu 18-Apr-13 22:08:35

Sounds like one of those cartoon moments going backwards as you were trying to go forwards gringrin

EauRouge Thu 18-Apr-13 22:21:12

That's what it felt like! After 1k I gave up and started running back the way I came. My pace for the first k was 6.37 and the second was 5.56 grin

Pleaseputyourshoeson Fri 19-Apr-13 14:22:19

Hi all! A good week for me. Two swims, two four milers, a five miler, a HIIT class and a six mile run to do this weekend. I would really like to see another half a stone go off the scales and my strength go up. I need to get my arms and abs stronger and my glutes/quads as my aim now is to get my pace up a bit on the shorter runs and build my stamina on the longer ones. Eau Rouge the wind is such a devil! I've found the shorter runs a killer this week because of running into the wind. It's been v tempting to give up. My pace is slow - between 10 and ten and a half mins per mile. I would really like to get it under 10 for long periods so that I'm running for less time!

Hedgepig Fri 19-Apr-13 18:49:56

Blooming heck Pleaseput. I'm exhausted just looking at your list grin
I am so tired atm DS2 (age 4) is such a poor sleeper he wakes up most nights and it is taking its toll

Nicnocknoo Fri 19-Apr-13 21:42:07

Can I join in please? I started running nearly a year ago and built up slowly. Having suffered from PND I run mostly for my mind and the joy of actually having achieved something in my day smile Was really pleased when I managed a half marathon in March! I then trailed off a bit but as I have a 10k next month and another half marathon in September, trying to ramp things up again. Nice 10k run in the sunshine today and managed to knock five mins off my last time! I wish I could just work out how to get more energy - I don't get why I still need to keep stopping or why I don't get much faster in short runs sad
And Hedgepig - ds2 was a rubbish sleeper until he was 4.5 (I remember posting on Facebook that I was so tired I wanted to run away but didn't have the energy to move!). Now age 5, and after much bribery, he sleeps all night (mostly) and only wakes me up after 6am - there is hope!

melliebobs Sat 20-Apr-13 10:14:39

Hiya. I got into running properly 4 months ago (10 months after dd1)

I've been going to park run when I can and runs in my free time. Just got back from park run n our course is a bitch with 3 big hills shock

But just signed up to 5 5ks between now n end of July and a 10k in August. Never run more than 4 miles so far so the 10k will be a biiiiiiiig challenge

Pleaseputyourshoeson Sat 20-Apr-13 10:28:52

Hi Melliebobs - you sound like you're doing great. I only got going last year so quite the novice too! Hi Nicknocknoo. Sounds like your aims are similar to mine. I'm running the London Parks Half in early Oct.
Went out at 6am to run this morning, 6 and a bit miles. My 10k pace was five minutes faster than the 10k race I ran. Shows what some nice weather can achieve! It was unbelievably beautiful this morning. For the first time in a while I ran feeling happy and enjoyed all of it. The sun just gave me such a buzz. I finally had that "Ooh this is great" run that I've been missing for a while. The last few have definitely been a bit of a slog with the wind being annoying or my legs feeling tired and heavy. But today I ran a flat route and just enjoyed what was around me, the time to myself and I felt like I could've kept going but I'm nervous about doing too much, ramping it up too soon. So next week I'll try for seven miles and slowly slowly....
Have a great weekend all. Lovely to have so many of us posting, it's great for motivation.

I'm just back from my local parkrun. It was my first time at this one (just moved house) and I really enjoyed it. What a glorious morning to be out running.

EauRouge Sat 20-Apr-13 10:43:40

I'm gutted that I missed my local ParkRun today, it's such a beautiful day. I'll definitely be going next week, the whole family is coming and the DDs are really excited about watching me 'race'. Hope they won't be too disappointed that I don't win grin

melliebobs Sat 20-Apr-13 14:29:05

I find our ParkRun course really tough. It's 3 laps but there's one sod of a hill to get up 3 times. Today was good though cos I ran all of it except half of the last hill smile

Itsaboatjack Sat 20-Apr-13 20:20:43

I came down with a stinking cold on Monday so no runs for me this week.

Please I'm also doing the Royal Parks half in October. I've got the London 10,000 at the end of May first then nothing till October. I also need to increase my overall strength, and particularly my upper body so I have started doing some HIIT workouts with wighs incorporated. I particularly like using a kettle bell.

Hedgepig Sat 20-Apr-13 20:36:07

My friend is doing the Royal Parks too , I decided she was totally bonkers when she suggested it grin.

melliebobs Sat 20-Apr-13 21:47:12

Yey. PB of 33:13

Ok it ain't gonna break any records but I've brought it down from 35 mins since jan smile

Hedgepig Sat 20-Apr-13 22:49:16

Yeh Mellie and with hills gringrin

Hedgepig Sat 20-Apr-13 22:49:40

Imagine how fast you would be on the flat

melliebobs Sun 21-Apr-13 09:36:59

Only 9 days till my first 5k so soon find out (praying for a flat route) grin

edwinamerckx Mon 22-Apr-13 18:07:00

Had a terrible run over the weekend. I was actually planning to try for a PB over my usual 10k cross-country route but instead crawled round and came in about 4 minutes over. Legs felt like lead the whole way round, and I woke up the next morning with a sore hamstring and horrendous plantar fasciitis.

I've no idea what went wrong - the only thing I can think of is that I'm just not used to hard ground after the mudfest we've had this winter as it hasn't rained for a week or so, and been very windy so it's all dried out. I ran it in my usual studded fellrunning shoes which didn't help at all - I could feel every stud sticking into the soles of my feet sad

Anyone ever had something similar? I was feeling very low as I was so sure I could PB before I went out and then it was just like running through treacle the whole way.

Hedgepig Mon 22-Apr-13 22:45:03

Sorry to hear it didn't go well Edwin. I have good days and poor days really struggling where previously I have gone well. For me it is how good my sleep has been, how good my nutrition has been in the previous days etc. it's also getting warmer so were you well hydrated? I think time of the month also has an effect. Chin up it will be better next time

I'm away with work this evening so I had a go on a treadmill in the hotel gym, rather than brave the streets of a strange town in the twilight. It's over 10yrs since I have run on a machine, it was very odd but seemed a lot easier than running on the road and tracks. And I could run without my specs on without fear of breaking my neck.
I've booked an appointment to get some contact lenses as my glasses kept steaming up and falling off, and there was me thinking running was a cheap hobby. gringrin

melliebobs Tue 23-Apr-13 17:06:56

Sorry to hear it didn't go to plan Edwin. But I'm a novice at this running thing let alone up the fells grin

My race packs for 5 races I've entered turned up today. No going back now. It's definitely happening!

melliebobs Tue 23-Apr-13 17:07:58

Fells/x country u get me jist

edwinamerckx Tue 23-Apr-13 18:31:10

@Hedgepig - thanks for replying - yes, think a combination of it suddenly being a lot warmer, hardpacked surface and unsuitable shoes, and lack of sleep (thanks DS!) did for me.

kiwibella Tue 23-Apr-13 21:52:05

EauRouge... I lost track of this thread. Have you done the Huntingdon parkrun? I ran / walked the first one and missed this Saturday's. I am hoping to go this weekend.

That hill is a bugger. I'm not sure if I would prefer Wimpole's hill at the beginning rather than the end! And the mud up there made it feel almost impossible.

I'm still having success at running on the treadmill, albeit not as often as I would like to get on it. I haven't been out on the road since the parkrun blush

Edwin... hope that your running gets back on track.

Melliebobs... five races is super impressive! Go you!!

kiwibella Tue 23-Apr-13 21:55:00

Nicnocknoo... I loved your post about running for your mind. Me too! Similar to you, I had a tough time post dd2. After a long battle, I know what makes me feel happiest now smile

kiwibella Tue 23-Apr-13 21:55:40

Nicnocknoo... "similar" is being hugely presumptious!!! I hope you understand that I don't mean to be.

FoundAChopinLizt Tue 23-Apr-13 22:22:29

Slightly crashing the thread-I'm usually a lurking beginner runner doing C25K, inspired by my dds obsession with running.

She's just done a hilly 10k in 46mins, at age 14. She won two prizes in the main women's race. It's her first 10k attempt, and I don't have a good feel for the times as a new runner, but I was impressed! Do any of you know if that's a good junior time? Have tried googling but not very successfully. She's doing a flatter one at the weekend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now