general running thread

(361 Posts)
LillethTheCat Sun 17-Mar-13 14:48:31

I mean for everyone including those who have graduated from the C25K. Do we have one?

Im coming up to my one year anniversary of running now. I have started to do Parkruns as they have now started up near me. I have just come back from a 10K too and am currently feeling the post run euphoria. I would like to tell people about it, but DH isn't that interested (just like Im not interested in his hobbies)

So do we have a thread already which I cant find? Or can this be it?

Hedgepig Fri 12-Apr-13 09:25:44

I'm wondering if you are running at a much faster pace when you are outdoor Kiwi?
I'm still very snotty Sunday is starting to look a bit dodgy (I will do it regardless by I may have to walk some if it). I've signed up for another 10k in May

CooEeeEldridge Fri 12-Apr-13 18:47:09

Hi hedge, you're right, it was a jump straight from 7 to 10 and I think that plays on my mind. With 7, I get to 3 miles and think 'I'm nearly half way there, this is EASY' but with 10, I think 'not even a third of the way there. OH GOD'. Still haven't made it to 13 yet, eek!

Had a fab 7 mile run earlier though, first one this year without long sleeves on, you know when everything is just good? Weather lovely, friendly people, lambs frolicking - I expected to get ran over as a punishment for it being so positive!

Please, I had your exact run the other week, I think sometimes it all just goes a bit wrong? Had good ones since though smile

Hope everyone enjoys their runs this weekend- love this thread!

Itsaboatjack Sun 14-Apr-13 00:17:49

Hello all, can a late comer join in.

Funny that I've found this thread tonight, I'm supposed to be having an early night, but can't sleep. I need to get up at 6am tomorrow as I am doing the East London half marathon.

I am a born again runner. I started about 8yrs ago and have done the GNR, run to the beat half, the London Marathon twice and a few 10ks. I took a rest break after the marathon last year though and just got fat and lazy! I was trying to get back into my running but just couldn't muster the enthusiasm, so in order to give myself something to aim for I rashly signed up to tomorrow's race a few months ago, got started quite well but then of course the terrible weather kept hindering me. So I know I'll be able to get round tomorrow but whether it'll be in one piece remains to be seen.

I'm also signed up to the London 10,000 at the end of May so I'm looking forward to getting to know you all while training for that.

Itsaboatjack Sun 14-Apr-13 00:19:46

Also just wanted to say to Kiwi, put your treadmill on a slight incline, it will help it to be more similar to running outside iykwim.

Pleaseputyourshoeson Sun 14-Apr-13 11:16:22

Hi Boatjack, good luck with your race today! Hey Cooee, envy of your good 7 miler. I feel like a caged animal as I got up on thursday bright and early, running gear on... when of course ds announced that he had a bad tummy. Cue 'accidents' and the cancellation of holiday camp, lots of pants changing and me stuck with the kids with no escape grraaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! And since then I've not been child free. And being at home has meant a very unecessary close relationship with the chocolate cupboard has ensued. Not good. Bad mummy. I feel fat. The scales are the same but I nevertheless FEEL fat. So four days with no excercise and I am chomping at the bit to go out! (Who would have thunk it!!! Me - WANTING TO EXERCISE - if you knew me you would recognise a big change!!!). I am desperate for them to go back to school tomorrow so i can put them in breakfast club and get cracking again. Runkeeper training plan must be really cross with me as I'll have skipped at least two sessions now - sob!. Kiwi, I agree about the incline increase on the treadmill and also maybe increase it up and down at intervals? And also think it's very likely you are running too fast when on the road. But I'm a mere amateur so don't take my advice! So yes tomorrow it is. I can't wait. It'll be a 5k hot shoes shuffle but at least it's something. If I'm going well for time I'll try to up it to 7k. In the meantime it's sunny but cold (what happened to the promise of a balmy weekend?!) so we are off to the playground.

Itsaboatjack Sun 14-Apr-13 11:35:05

Well the sun came out in East London today, a bit of wind but generally very nice running conditions.

I've got a couple of blisters, my knees are not happy but otherwise I got round ok in 2hrs 1min so quite happy with that. Queueing now to collect my bag then home for a soak.

Pleaseputyourshoeson Sun 14-Apr-13 15:12:42

Well done! Two hours 1 minute is a good time! I'd be super proud of myself if I could manage that! Heck I'd be pretty pleased if I could run 13miles, but right now I can't claim that!... one day...
Ice those legs, have you got skins to help with doms?
And um...ibuprofen? I reckon I'd need all of the above! grin but I've not run two marathons and half marathons in my timie...

kiwibella Sun 14-Apr-13 16:42:31

well done itsaboatjack!
It is so difficult arranging running sessions around children. Hope your little one is better Please.

kiwibella Sun 14-Apr-13 16:42:57

well done itsaboatjack!
It is so difficult arranging running sessions around children. Hope your little one is better Please.

Pleaseputyourshoeson Sun 14-Apr-13 17:00:22

Yes he's fine now thanks Kiwi! He and DD are busy trying to avoid me as they know their homework needs doing and they are not ready for the hols to be over - unlike their mummy!

Anyone got any advice for Shin splints? I think I've over done it this weekend, running Fri, sat & sun, and I'm in agony sad. I'm planning on having a couple of rest days but is there anything I can do to ease the pain and/or stop it recurring? I've not been running long and doing a 5 mile race in 2 weeks so I really want to get up and running again as I need to do some serious training if I'm going to finish it!

Pleaseputyourshoeson Sun 14-Apr-13 17:48:48

Shin splints are probably from running too far, too fast, too often, too quickly. Here's what I recommend: RICE: Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate. Get a paper coffee cup, fill it up half way with water. Stick it in the freezer. When it's frozen, peel back the cup till you have a frozen stick/block. Rub the ice into the sore bits (it will hurt). Keep rubbing it up and down. It will feel numb. Wait a bit, repeat. Keep it up as long as you can bear! This brings fresh blood into the muscle and will help with healing and repair. If you have compression socks wear them afterwards. Elevate your legs. Keep off running for a bit and start back slowly. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Thank you please. I'll try the ice later. I'm glad you posted that because my instinct was to go the other way and have a hot bath and some deep heat later. I think I'll have tomorrow and tues off and see how I go on weds. I'm gutted because I was planning to up the distance to 4 miles on my runs this week but I guess I'll just have to see how I go. sad

Hedgepig Sun 14-Apr-13 22:15:11

Evening I did my 10k run, cripes it was hot (18 degC) I am not used to running in double figure temperatures. I really struggled the last couple of Km I just had no energy at all. But anyway I finished the time was 1hr09min so not brill but ok. As I turned the last corner there was a poor woman collapsed on the floor with paramedics giving her oxygen, I hope she was OK. She was so lose to the end.
Anyway I'll catch up tomorrow , I've got to sleep now

Itsaboatjack Sun 14-Apr-13 22:45:55

I think the temperature caught a lot of people out today Hedgepig, I saw 3 people collapsed on my run today.

And congrats on your run btw, that's a very respectable time. Where was your race?

Hedgepig Mon 15-Apr-13 10:43:47

Hi itsaboat I'm in Cambridgeshire, the run was at a new torn called Cambourne just west of Cambridge. It was mostly off road through a country park, it was very skippy in places . How are your legs this morning ? I am a bit stiff.

Itsaboatjack Mon 15-Apr-13 12:03:31

grin I'm guessing it was slippy, though skippy sounds fun too. I asked because there was also a 10k running at the same time where we were.

Legs are sore but not too bad. I've got quite a lot of chafing though (silly amateur mistake) which is sore. Hope your feeling ok.

Hedgepig Mon 15-Apr-13 13:12:13

gringringrin I might have been skippy at the start I was more crawley at the end. (Blooming phone )

Pleaseputyourshoeson Mon 15-Apr-13 20:19:16

Well done Hedgepig! Good 10k time too! You must be pleased to have done it! I went for a five mile run today and it was sunny and I took my jacket off! Oh that felt good. My legs felt heavy though? wasn't expecting that after a few days off i was expecting to run feeling all springy. I had to stop and stretch to lighten them up a bit. I felt best when I was really warm between miles 3-4. and by mile five I was just focused on the end. I really do wonder if I'm cut out to run half marathon distances [hmmm]?
I guessill find out...

kiwibella Tue 16-Apr-13 21:50:38

Hedgepig, I'm also in Cambridgeshire!
Chaos, I do know about shin splints. I have suffered them in the past too. They need stretching, there are two ways. One is to stand on the edge of the stairs, almost on the balls of your feet with your heels hanging over... and stretch them out. The other is sitting on the floor and using a scarf around your foot - pulling the scarf towards you.

I ran my local parkrun on Saturday, miserably! But ran 3.5 miles on the treadmill comfortably today.
One day I will be saying how well I did running outdoors smile

Hedgepig Tue 16-Apr-13 22:32:24

Bugger I just deleted my post before posting grrrrr . Kiwi you will get to enjoy running outside, it is lovely out there at the moment. How exciting another Cambs resident, my local Park Run is at Wimpole. I haven't managed to run it many times as DS1s football keeps getting in the way .

I went out this evening in the sun it was fabgrin. I was just planning a short run but I got lost (twit) so it was a bit further than planned. I walked the last 20mins so as not to over do things.

EauRouge Thu 18-Apr-13 12:50:05

Hello all, I'm a C25K graduate. I'm doing 5k three times a week at the moment and aiming to build up to 10k eventually. I've entered a 5 mile (they don't do km in the fens) in July.

Kiwi Do you mean Huntingdon Parkrun? I went, it was ace. I'm not going this weekend but I am the weekend after if you fancy meeting up?

Nice to see other Cambs folks on here. What's the Wimpole Parkrun like Hedgepig?

EauRouge Thu 18-Apr-13 12:52:34

Just spotted that you did do it after all- how did you find it? Wasn't that hill at the end awful? I'm off to buy some trail shoes this weekend to get through all that mud without sliding all over the place.

Hedgepig Thu 18-Apr-13 22:00:10

Eau Wimpole is muddy and mostly off road (is that the right term for running) good fun. Oh and it has a bugger of a hill near the start. Good fun not to busy . I was hoping to go on Saturday but DH want to do his hobby 1st thing on Sat (and he hasn't been for ages) so I can't go :-(. I am doing the Wimpole 10k in May. I imagine it is very windy in The Fens at the moment ,

EauRouge Thu 18-Apr-13 22:05:37

Apparently there's been a massive dust storm today, cars couldn't get through because the visibility was so bad. I live at the edge of the fens so I get all the wind but still have hills to run up. Lucky me grin

I had to abandon a run the other day because I was trying to run uphill into a 25mph headwind. Only managed 2k in the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now