general running thread

(361 Posts)
LillethTheCat Sun 17-Mar-13 14:48:31

I mean for everyone including those who have graduated from the C25K. Do we have one?

Im coming up to my one year anniversary of running now. I have started to do Parkruns as they have now started up near me. I have just come back from a 10K too and am currently feeling the post run euphoria. I would like to tell people about it, but DH isn't that interested (just like Im not interested in his hobbies)

So do we have a thread already which I cant find? Or can this be it?

MirandaWest Thu 21-Mar-13 07:04:42

Hello - I am a sort of runner smile first did c25k a few years ago and did some race for life and a few 10k races. Fastest I've ever done for 10k is 1 hour 1 minute which I hope I can get down to 1 hour some day! Restarted c25k in September and by November was going quite well - did a park run in about 28 minutes. Since then I've not been so good - think the weather hasn't helped and also only been averaging a couple of runs a week blush.

I've been doing the runkeeper 10k programme as well - I am finding the runs followed by intervals are challenging but good grin. I am not sure I'm quite going at the speed it suggests - think my slow is faster than its slow and not sure how I will do 10k in an hour. But not doing 10k until the York 10k in August so there's some time yet I keep telling myself. Must enter for it though...

Going to do a park run on Saturday - my local one has a lot of fast people in it. If I can manage 30 minutes I will definitely be near the end but hopefully not last!

omletta Thu 21-Mar-13 07:36:01

Please can I join? Been running since Autumn - DC now old enough to be left for an hour (fairly useless DH). Am doing a 10k in May, hoping for less than an hour. I know that I can run 10k but I'm not sure I wil do the time.

I really struggle to fit in the miles with a busy job, family and socia life.

glitch Thu 21-Mar-13 07:56:27

A running thread - yay smile
I did my second half marathon at the weekend and am considering a 3rd next week also have another booked for Sept. I still don't think of myself as a proper runner though.

I wondered if anyone had any advice on what to do in between. I don't really know how many miles, what runs to do between training for them.

Posting from my phone so can't scroll back to see who mentioned it but if you are.running out of energy it is time to get some energy gels. I use GU ones which are fab.

LillethTheCat Thu 21-Mar-13 08:07:20

Miranda Im planning on the York 10K too smile

3 half marathons and you dont think of yourself as a proper runner glitch I would say you are. I would maybe do a couple of short runs (3 or 4 miles), one medium (6 or 7 miles) and one long run (10+ miles) a week maybe?

Omletta Hope you find time to get running, is it possible to get up an hour earlier than usual to get a couple of runs in the week? Good luck with the 10K training.

I fancy going for a run now, but have life getting in the way

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 21-Mar-13 08:44:50

Lilleth I think a good view is one of the most satisfying and joyous things, it really does make the struggle worth the effort.

Hedgepig my foam roller is about 4 feet long and fat like a tree trunk so sadly no chance of falling off it! I hate it though, it comes out only when absolutely necessaryblush

Glitch you are definitely a runner! I choose to keep my long run about 12 miles, sometimes up to half marathon, but everyone's different. I think Lilleth's suggestion of 10 mile + for your long run is a good one because then you maintain that base fitness, just keep it at a very easy pace. Overall, easing down the pace but keeping your running distance pretty similar to it is when you are preparing for a half if you can fit it in.

Omletta you are doing great if you can already run 10K!

omletta Thu 21-Mar-13 16:22:01

I go to work really early when DH is able to help with DC, generally once or twice a week, and run with a chum there for an hour or so. This evening I am going running with another chum whilst DC are doing YC and I will get one in at the weekend - so not too bad this week but sometimes I only get out once or twice all week. It's going to get easier when lighter I think - physiologically if nothing else.

You all sound fantastic! I am chuffed to bits that I can run, I never thought I could.

miranda I run faster than runkeeper says to when I'm doing the 'slow' runs, but I think the aim is for them to be done at a speed where you could keep up a conversation, so down to your own personal fitness.

I'm only on workout 14 or 61 workouts, I love the interval training, but think I must look like a madwoman running so fast past people grin and then panting and puffing afterwards.

MirandaWest Thu 21-Mar-13 19:33:06

My next one is workout 14 smile I never do them on the days I'm meant to, but ill get there eventually....

I'm doing workout 14 tomorrow smile

I am trying to keep to the days I'm meant to but it doesn't always work out that way!

MirandaWest Thu 21-Mar-13 20:41:08

I'm doing mine straight after taking children to school - I like knowing someone else is doing the same one the same day smile

I'll either do mine at 6am if I wake early with insomnia, or after work so at about 6pm grin

I secretly hope I wake early so I can get it over and done with. It will be nice to know someone else is doing it! we'll have to report back here to keep each other motivated.

MirandaWest Fri 22-Mar-13 09:55:14

I ran smile Was cold and the wind blew at me whichever direction I was going in hmm. Was under 40 minutes and even sprinted at the end (wanted to prove I could I think) so although not my greatest ever run it was OK.

Tomorrow as long as there isn't loads of snow am going to do the park run. Haven't done one for months and suspect I will not be getting a PB!

Doyouthinktheysaurus Fri 22-Mar-13 11:23:40

I ran, or got blown along depending on the wind directiongrin

I'm enjoying running this week because I'm on annual leave so more energetic than the usual post night shift staggergrin

Thankfully, I'm right down south and no snow is expected but it's very windy and unMarch like out there!

Anyone running in snow, keep safe!

Well done guys!

I didn't manage to get up before my alarm went off at 6:30 today, so no run yet. I have just got home from work so am planning on running at 6pm, once I've had a cuppa grin

Hedgepig Fri 22-Mar-13 18:41:22

I have to go out tomorrow morning (early ) or that will be a whole week with no running I'm feeling really twitchy .

Pleaseputyourshoeson Fri 22-Mar-13 20:56:23

Hi all. Well I've my running stuff out and my first 10k to get through tomorrow in what I'd thought would be lovely sunny spring like conditions but will be blinking freezing! Here's hoping I finish and don't embarrass myself!

LillethTheCat Fri 22-Mar-13 20:59:59

Good luck please

Zatopek Fri 22-Mar-13 21:05:00

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/big_slim_whatever_weight_loss_club/1701473-Couch-to-5K-the-first-day-of-the-rest-of-your-life

Don't know if it's been mentioned but the above link is quite an active thread- mixture of those who are doing Ct5K and those who have finished

LillethTheCat Fri 22-Mar-13 21:10:21

No it hasn't Zatopek Ive seen the C25K threads around, but as I was past that stage I didn't bother posting on them. Hence why I started this thread. I was looking for a thread that didn't just focus on one program, but more running in general.

Zatopek Fri 22-Mar-13 21:16:39

Just thought I'd mention it as it's quite busy at the moment! But the more threads the merrier.

I didn't do C25K but have been running since September. I'm currently injured though which is quite depressing as I don't know exactly what I've done. I'm desperate to get out again.

I think it's an adductor strain of some kind. Walking is pretty painful even after a week but because of school runs/work etc I can't stay off the leg. I'm hoping it doesn't keep me out too long but I think I'll have to take a month off at this rate to ensure I don't reinjure myself.

Just reading lots of books about running to keep me sane

Hedgepig Fri 22-Mar-13 22:18:19

Good luck Pleasegrin. At least you Won't over heat

Pleaseputyourshoeson Sat 23-Mar-13 06:26:15

waking up to a blizzard! Its really windy and snow/sleeting. Yikes.

MirandaWest Sat 23-Mar-13 06:52:33

Only a light dusting of snow here so will do rhe park run. Will be v cold though

Good luck to anyone running in the snow and freezing cold today!

I didmy run yesterday, and it was so windy! I found it harder running in the wind, and so got hotter and sweatier which then made me coldbut hot at the same time.

My time was slower than normal.

Today I will rest grin

Have fun running in the snow everyone! Looking at the weather, I'm not feeling so grumpy about being injured and out of action today grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now