general running thread

(361 Posts)
LillethTheCat Sun 17-Mar-13 14:48:31

I mean for everyone including those who have graduated from the C25K. Do we have one?

Im coming up to my one year anniversary of running now. I have started to do Parkruns as they have now started up near me. I have just come back from a 10K too and am currently feeling the post run euphoria. I would like to tell people about it, but DH isn't that interested (just like Im not interested in his hobbies)

So do we have a thread already which I cant find? Or can this be it?

allbie Tue 19-Mar-13 20:03:42

Hi all! Does anyone run just for themselves? I love to run alone listening to my radio. I have tried running in marathons but simply love to run on my own with no targets and no personal bests! I have had some fab runs lately in this wild and wacky weather...what I call 'movie moments'. Running through thick snow flakes being one of them! Brilliant fun.

Snowgirl1 Tue 19-Mar-13 21:25:22

Pleaseputyourshoeson are you using any carb gels when you run out of energy? Although anoldbloke might say say that's the commercial side of things wink

anoldbloke Tue 19-Mar-13 22:01:43

I would say that you need nothing other than water, assuming you're trained, until the 2 hour point. Most serious marathon runners drink a bit of the water but use most of it to throw over their heads and thighs, where it is more useful.

PeggyO Wed 20-Mar-13 14:57:34

Well done everyone, sounds like there is some brilliant running action going on! It's great to hear so many of you are Parkrunners, I am pretty evangelical about mine.

Pleaseputyourshoeson, you still have plenty of time to get to half marathon distance in time for the autumn I reckon - I did a 10k race last Sunday and this week have started a half marathon training plan for my race in June. You'll probably find that as your distance increases your 5k times get a bit faster too. So I think that if a part of you feels like you want to give it a go, you should just go for it! The body is pretty amazing at getting stronger once you start upping your distance. Good luck in your race!

Can anyone offer any tips about fartlek training? The plan I am following suggests one fartlek session a week. I went out this morning and did 35 minutes (including a warm-up and cool-down jog) but I felt like it was extremely unstructured, I just mixed in some 30 second sprints and 60-90 second long intervals at a faster pace than usual, and then went back to jogging in between until I felt like I had got my breath back. I'm not really sure if I should have more of a plan or a structure to next week's fartlek session!

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 20-Mar-13 15:16:29

Hello runnerssmile

I've been running for about 3 years I think, might be 4 by nowconfused I've done a marathon but have no more races on the cards at the moment. Racing stresses me and running stops being fun for me!

I do have hopes of another marathon in the future but since the last one my hours have increased at work and I just don't have the time or energy to commit to the long runs. I want to put right all the mistakes I made last time but it will wait. I now have a plan to do another in about 5 years.

I run normally 4 times a week, long run of about 12 miles, shorter one of 9 and a 6 and 5 miler. Longer runs in the hills, shorter on the flat. I'm slow, slow, slow but I don't care. I like to run off road but I'm sick of the mud at the moment! And we had snow last weekconfused

You sound just like me Allbiesmile

My understanding Peggy is that fartlek should be very unstructured, just go with the flow ensuring you do varied pace and give yourself recover time.

Pleaseputyourshoeson Wed 20-Mar-13 15:48:13

@snowgirl, no I'm not. I don't even know what they are. I'm no pro at this running malarkey :-)

Pleaseputyourshoeson Wed 20-Mar-13 15:54:48

Blimeydoyouthinktheysaurus you are a running machine! Your runs are what i would call 'bloody long!' at my stage in the game! Peggy O, I'll see how I go on saturday and take it from there. I just feel like I find running 10k challenge enough distance wise but I guess if I increase the distance SUPER slowly maybe I'll get to half marathon possibilities. We'll see. For the minute I'm having fun and also beating some mental demons whilst I'm at it. I always used to have a 'fight or flight' response to running - ie I associate it with running FROM something and as a means of staving off panic by running off the adrenaline. Now I'm finally beginning to see it as something more -dare I say it - enjoyable! My favourite runs this year have surprised me in that they were the ones when I was running through the snow or in the torrential rain. There is something exhilirating and satisfying about being and not being beaten by the elements.

Applejelly - I don't actually know what injury precisely! It's my foot. Could be a minor stress fracture. I've had it before, and for the same reason - over-training by increasing my distance too much in one go. I should have learnt my lesson last time, but I was getting twitchy about not making the distance, and race day was fast approaching. Idiot. Now I don't know whether to give up on the whole idea of a half or not. It's so annoying, especially as it's my own silly fault for neglecting the 10% rule.

Pleaseputyourshoeson Wed 20-Mar-13 16:04:51

Holmes you must be really frustrated. I guess rest and wait and see. I don't know how I feel about doing races full stop. I'm not sure I will like the whole running in a crowd thing or the sensation of a heap of people trying to get past me. Eek.

Ooh a running thread - lovely. And great to see some names from the C25K and half marathon threads I've been on.

I'm an evangelical C25K'er - I started with C25K a couple of years ago (with the help of a MN thread) and have just (Sunday) done my fifth half marathon. I'm doing BUPA 10K in May as part of the MN Woolly Hugs Team, and have a place in the New York marathon in November <wibble>.

I just had a 2 mile trot around the block today.

Oh I really like races! I'm slow, so I'm just happy to cross the finish line! But I like the atmosphere and I start nice and far back so that I can at least overtake a few people. I was looking forward to the half marathon, sort of. It's good to do something a bit scary sometimes!

Pleaseputyourshoeson Wed 20-Mar-13 16:29:01

It's true Holmes it's good to do something scary and to push yourself -sort of why I've ended up entering these races in the first place. I wasn't convinced I was capable and planned to prove myself wrong. I didn't think I'd ever run a hilly 10k round my park but hey that's one thing achieved already. Losing all that horrible VERY OLD baby weight has also been motivating. Amazing what a bit of running will do for making you make healthier food and lifestyle choices! I feel much more like my old self. Neithershredded you are very inspiring! 5 half marathons?! There's hope for me yet! I went swimming this morning to 'save my legs' for saturday. 50 front crawl lengths and my shoulders are tight!

Pleaseput - if I can do it, anyone can. I started out unfit, overweight, mid-40's. Once I got to 5K I just kept going! It helped that DH also runs (and cycles). I'll never be as fast as he is, but it's good to have a bit of healthy competition grin. I'm not fast by any means, but it's good to see my times improving.

LillethTheCat Wed 20-Mar-13 17:35:25

I love races too. Its the atmosphere. Also no-one cares about who came last and people are genuinely pleased to see people give it a go. My parkrun is a 3 lap course. I volunteered this last Sat as I was in a 10K on Sunday so wanted a rest. The last people to do the first lap were knackered as they crossed the start/finish/lap line on the first lap but everyone was just cheering them on and encouraging them.

Hills scare me and I run on them all the time. My town is built on a hill, I still hate running up them.

I agree Lilleth. The half I did on Sunday started with a lap of the park. The front pack of men came past as I was still waiting to cross the start line grin.

There can only be one winner, and it will never be me, so I just race against myself.

I am planning to join my local parkrun one I'm settled (have just moved). I did one a while ago but it was when I was visiting my parents and will not be my local one. In fact you have inspired me to look up the nearest parkrun to where I'm spending this weekend.

anoldbloke Wed 20-Mar-13 17:57:35

PeggyO,

The whole point of fartlek is that it isn't structured. The word is Swedish for speed play, so you just run as you feel on the day. Steady state running and then a quick 30 secs to the next lamppost or a hard run to the top of a hill and then back to steady state. Or stop and admire a view. Treat it as a break from serious training but with occasional bursts of effort as the mood strikes you.

applejelly Wed 20-Mar-13 19:40:26

Oh goodness holmes, that's what I did too, ignored the 10% rule but regretted it at my leisure while wearing a moonboot for 6 weeks sad Never again! That's why I stopped running last week when my knees flared up, googled everything I could find about PFPS (www.running-physio.com is excellent) and have been spending my precious time between feeds doing all sorts of exercises. Even 2.8 yo DS has been joining in!

The good news is I did the week 2 run of C25K this evening - painfree!!!

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 20-Mar-13 20:05:42

I think all runners have ignored the 10% rule at some point, I know I haveblush

I've had a few injuries in my time, thankfully nothing more than overuse really. It's horrid being injured but it's worth taking the time out and not pushing to come back too soon <voice of experience>

I seem to be susceptible to ITB problems though. It started halfway round my marathon having had no problems in the build up and although I finished, it was very painful and it took me nearly 6 months to get back to full runninghmm That was a couple of years ago and it still niggles from time to time now. I just have to keep an eye on it and vary the terrain I run on.

I love hills Lilleth, the views from the top round here make it worth it! they are so good for building strength too. There is one hill near me I won't run up though, it brings me almost to tears it's so hardblush it's between me and the South Downs so now I take the car and park up the top of it! It is just so long and gets steeper at the top, just when your legs are shredded! Life's too short....

Hedgepig Wed 20-Mar-13 20:14:58

Have you tried a foam roller for you IT band trouble DoYouThink? I do a class (don't know how to describe it core aerobic mix I suppose) and the lady who runs it is very knowledgable and think foam rollers are good for It band.

I've lost my mo jo this evening I was supposed to go out running but it is cold, dark windy I just can't be bothered tonight hmm.

I'm thinking I'd putting DS1 into after school club one afternoon so I can run in the light (but I feel like a mega bad mum even thinking contemplating it).

Hi, can I join in?

Have been running on and off for five or six years, and thid year have got into it deriously after a three month break at the end of last year.

I am training to do a 10k in under an hour, that is my goal at the moment. I am using runkeeper's training programme for it and finding it really fun! Already my speed has increased, something I didn't think I could do a yuear ago, I just thought I was a slow plodder type grin

Keep on running people, it really is great!

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 20-Mar-13 21:01:16

I do have a foam roller Hedgepig it's an instrument of torturegrin

It's does help but by god it is painful!

Running in the dark is miserable, I don't enjoy it and avoid it like the plague. I work nights so tend to fit my runs around my nights off and do a funny split sleep thing to get my run between nights when the dses are at school and I've still got daylight.

10k under 60 minutes is a good goal overmydeadbody, Im sure you'll get there, and beyond! I must admit I hate any form of speed training which is kind of reflective in my lack of running speed. I kid myself that hills are a substitute for speed work but it's not working, I'm still slowgrin

LillethTheCat Wed 20-Mar-13 21:14:55

Doyouthink One of the routes I do round here has the most amazing views ever. Its 3.5 miles away and mostly up hill there so I like to walk/run there stop to take in the view and enjoy my me time then run all the way home. Not done that for ages.

Ive been avoiding running a lot over the winter, but I will get to it properly again. Ive been a bit slack and waiting for the temp and the weather to pick up again.

Talking of speeds, dont know if I said upthread so sorry if Im repeating myself. I did a 10K last Sept all on road, very slight hill at the start, but nothing taxing. I ran it all and did it in an hour and 6mins. Sunday was my second ever 10K race, but the first 2.25Ks were in mud and was horrible, my calfs ached, we were all trying to get to the same spot at once so found myself stopping a few times then so once I got a bit further if I wanted to walk I did and I did the whole race in 1hr 5 so was quicker. I think that's because going to Parkrun has increased my speed without me even realising it.

Im also aiming for a 10K in under an hour. When I do the same 10K this sept as I did last year I may even put on the form sub-hour entry rather than just get round like i did last year.

Primadonnagirl Wed 20-Mar-13 21:23:47

Hi..anybody here a treadmill runner? Practicalities force me to be, but I've got used to it now..highs not as high but still good! Once a fortnight I do a10 mile run on it ..Get my iPod on and just get into the zone!

Hedgepig Wed 20-Mar-13 22:04:37

I'm pants with the foam roller I just fall off itgrin coordination is not one of my strong points.
I've been doing a bit of interval training and it really does improve your speed but its flipping hard to make yourself do it.

I have a 10 k in April if I could get close to an hour that would be brill.

Pleaseputyourshoeson Thu 21-Mar-13 06:48:39

Hedgepig - I put my kids into breakfast club to go running! So naughty me too! But they love breakfast club so I don't feel too bad. I wouldn't have the opportunity to go otherwise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now