Couch to 5K- the first day of the rest of your life :)

(1000 Posts)

Come and join us if you're thinking about starting, have started or have finished and are loving running! Lots of support, advice and general cheering on for everyone. Find the old thread here.

jchocchip Fri 24-May-13 22:44:28

Oh poor doggy. At least you are giving the antibiotics a chance. Hope they work.

My wonderful Nelly has gone, she couldn't get up to get to bed so took her back tonight and there was nothing more the vet could do. She is at peace now x

jchocchip Sat 25-May-13 05:50:01

(((((Hugs)))))

pennygallops Sat 25-May-13 10:24:17

Poor doggy, hugs to you and your family cinnamon. It's heart breaking when you lose a beloved pet.

travellingwilbury Sat 25-May-13 11:16:30

Cinnamon I am really sorry about your dog , you know you have made the right decision but I doubt that helps much for now .

UmBongo Sat 25-May-13 13:48:52

So sorry to hear that cinnamon, she is no longer in pain. Hard decision to make for you though. Hugs to all.

UmBongo Sat 25-May-13 13:49:08

And flowers

gingerpinz Sat 25-May-13 15:27:36

So sorry to hear that cinnamon!

dementedma Sat 25-May-13 15:58:51

Fabulous run today round the loch in the sunshine. Managed a whole 5k in 45 minutes at the end of week 6. Amazing what can be achieved. Personal best so far my miles

NamelessMcNally Sat 25-May-13 20:47:51

Cin I am so sorry to hear about your poor dog. It's so hard getting used to them not being around. I remember when my last cat died (who was black) everytime I saw my handbag lying round I thought it was him. Still do sometimes although its been 5 years and now I rather like it. Feels like a benevolent spirit. I

Last night I did my first proper 10k race. It was an all woman run with over 1,000 competitors. Coastal route with some rough terrain, single file bits, steps, etc. Think a slow course as if you got behind anyone you couldn't get past for ages at times. Plus at the end there was a hill which was pure evil. No warning. Huge hill, bend, and another huge hill. At the top of that you couldn't see what happened so although it was flat it could have been more bloody hill. I hated that bastard hill. My time will be in the local paper Monday but I think more or less an hour. Don't care really. I did it. Last 1/2 k in tears I was so bloody proud. Signed up for my 1/2 marathon!

Thank you all!

Well done on your runs dementedma and NamelessMcNally, both great achievements.

My friend persuaded me to run today so I went out for a 6.5-7k run and felt much better for it. Had a few moments seeing others out with their dogs and passin places we regularly went for walks sad
Dh and ds's are already talking about another dog but I'm not ready. I know it would take away the empty space but it wouldn't be her and don't think it would help right now.

pennygallops Sat 25-May-13 21:51:03

Glad to hear that your run helped a little cinnamon.

Well done dementedma. It's good to feel as if you're making progress, isn't it? And well done namelessmcnally - that sounds like a challenging run.

Well, my family tried a different parkrun today - just to help celebrate it's anniversary. I finished in 27.02, my fastest 5k yet (but it's not counted as PB because it was the first time I'd done that course). In fact my GPS watch said it was 5.1k! My DS managed 25.29 mins. But DH didn't finish because DD got too hot and couldn't/wouldn't finish. She doesn't like get too sweaty!! She was over dressed for the warm, sunny morning.

migrant Sun 26-May-13 02:02:51

Hello fellow runners! Never thought I'd be able to say that!!

I've just finished week 7 but with a couple of little shin niggles so I took myself off to the very professional runners shop to be annalysed and fitted.

They were great, looked at current shoes, videoed me and I ended up spending a fortune on a new pair. Did explain to them that I wasn't sure if the shoes were the problem or whether it was more legs that are still getting used to the idea that they have to work now! Didn't feel ripped off.

However last night I took shiny new Asics for a 15 min stroll with the dog and came back with ultra sore shins and calves. Is it possible that:
A. My legs just need to get used to the new shoes.
B. shoes are not suitable and should be returned ASAP
C. Something else

Your thoughts much appreciated.

I'd take them back and ask their advice migrant, if walking is making your legs sore when it wasn't before something is wrong. If I walk in my trainers which is not very often to be fair, I feel like I'm walking on air! I walk quite a bit pushing pushchairs and I do sometimes get a sore right knee but never if I'm wearing my trainers.

Well done on the time pennygallops, sub 27min here you come grin

pennygallops Sun 26-May-13 07:31:20

Thanks cinnamon - that sub 27 min is definitely getting closer.

pennygallops Sun 26-May-13 08:01:42

Right the sun is shining and my D(?)S has woken the whole house up nice and early! Going to go for a longish run whilst he cycles. Back later ....

migrant Sun 26-May-13 09:11:48

Took shoes back and got a full refund. The shop were very professional but they just don't have anything to fit my very wide and slightly pronating feet. They're ordering in some super wide Asics to see if that does the trick
For now my shins, calves and knees are so sore I think illneed a few days off. And just as the end was in sight!! Who'd have thought a half hour walk in posh, fitted trainers could do so much damage.
Well done everyone else!!!

pennygallops Sun 26-May-13 09:42:39

Glad you got your refund migrant.

I have just returned from my 10k - 1 hour 6 mins. I was slowed down at one point whilst I sorted out the gears on my son's bike. It's a slowly sunny morning up here in North East. smile

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Sun 26-May-13 18:47:53

Is nobody running in this lovely sunny weather??? It's very quiet here shock

Ran yesterday - did 6.6K - and it was lovely, warm sun (but not too warm) and a light breeze. It really made me think all those cold evening as I worked through the C25K were worth it as otherwise I wouldn't have been able to enjoy it yesterday. Still very slow though - the 6.6K took me 41 minutes. really would like to be able to do the Race for Life in under half an hour. Anyone got any tips for increasing speed without killing myself?

I ran yesterday SarahWithAFringeOnTop and it was lovely and sunny. Glad you enjoyed your run. I would say interval training is the best way to improve speed. There's loads on the Internet about plans or I think there's another nhs podcast that helps with speed?

pennygallops Mon 27-May-13 09:00:19

I don't think you are that slow sarahwithafringe 6.6k in 41mins is very respectable.

I have woken with some knee pain - having a rest day.

By my calculations that makes a 31 min 5k so not bad at all!

pennygallops Mon 27-May-13 18:17:48

My first parkrun was just under 31mins and now about 6 months later, I'm close to going sub 27. I try a bit of interval training (copying cinnamon's club training) and varying my own training. I just seem to have got fitter and faster over the months.

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Mon 27-May-13 19:38:50

Thanks cinnamon and penny - bit of work to do then grin

Ill be back training weds pennygallops, with the toughest coach so I'll post details smile

Had a lovely run tonight, on my own and in the beautiful sunshine but cool evening. Think it was about 7.5k but not entirely sure as GPS failed me again! Really enjoyed it, had a chat with my doggy as I have in today and we went to meet a new greyhound. My boys were so keen and dh thinks it will help with the big space. He will never replace her but it still feels a bit soon for me, was good to tell her that she'll always be my special girl though.

The dog we met today was called Billy he's 4 1/2 , we walked him on the lead and I had a very quick run with him to see how he'd behave and he trotted along next to me happily. He played in the paddock with the boys with balls and other toys and was very gentle with them. Will be nice to have a doggy to run with but I'm still so so sad, I am hoping the home visit will take a while sad

This thread is not accepting new messages.