Couch to 5K- the first day of the rest of your life :)

(1000 Posts)

Come and join us if you're thinking about starting, have started or have finished and are loving running! Lots of support, advice and general cheering on for everyone. Find the old thread here.

wizzler Fri 17-May-13 11:20:00

I am pleased that I completed W2R2 this morning... Had a tennis match last night so was very stiff, but didnt want to start allowing myself excuses this early on in the programme.

I was half expecting to have to stop half way through, but I actually managed it , although didnt enjoy it so much.

Definitely prefer to run at dusk.. I have done 2 early mornings and neither have been much fun!

Finding this thread really helpful...reading about people who are on Week 6 and beyond is spurring me on!

Oopla Fri 17-May-13 12:10:45

Really feeling the ankle pain, managed to get through it a couple of nights ago but was almost sick lastnight so walked the rest of the way. Gave a teenage heckler the death stare.

Going swimming tonight instead to try and loosen up. Does anyone do yoga or Pilates?

smellsofsick Fri 17-May-13 19:12:27

Just to share in Grape's lack of love, here is a summary of my run tonight:

1 it's pissing down
2 trousers start falling down, laden with water
3 have bright idea to tuck trousers into socks
4 have bright pink socks
5 shoes slightly too big, laced up tight
6 resemble half drowned clown
7 am posting from pizzeria

BIWI Fri 17-May-13 19:14:02

grin

Hope you're having a glass or two of wine as well!

smellsofsick Fri 17-May-13 19:18:39

Well I think C25k and weight watchers can bugger off tonight.

dementedma Fri 17-May-13 19:26:32

grape a whole minute off is a lot so sounds like you went off too fast.
Now, I need help. After my crap W6R1 failure last night, I went out tonight just to try and repeat W5R3 which I managed OK.
Managed 8 lousy minutes! Walked a bit then tried again and managed 2. Want has happened? I am getting worse and am very disillusioned. Have I reached maximum potential?

Sorry you had a rubbish run dementedma, but it has been common. Go out with a positive attitude and kick w6r2's arse grin. Oh no just read your most recent post sad sorry to hear you had another rubbish run. You are definitely not at your potential. Running is a definitely at least 50% in the mind! You did 20 mins before so you can again. Give yourself a rest day and go for a nice plodding run. Personally I'd give w6r2 a go rather than going backwards but you have to do what you feel is best for you.

Well done SarahWithAFringeOnTop!! Getting wet doesn't really bother me but it does put me off going. Just think you've worked harder than you planned and did the bins so you're a superstar smile

Sounds like it could have been a bit speedy OhThisIsJustGrape so well done!!!!

Well done travellingwillbury! Are you using the app or mobile site? I can't get on with the app but mobile site its fab imo.

Well done wizzler!

Oh no that's not good Oopla, is it was a visit to your gp? Hope you feel better soon. I used to do yoga a good few years ago but do only run now.

Had to smile smellsofsick, enjoy your pizza smile

I'm helping at parkrun again tomorrow, I said is like to run but can help if they need me and they obviously did! I'm time keeping again which is good fun. Hoping for more runners this week!

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Fri 17-May-13 19:53:39

Don't worry dementedma, it happens smile The main thing I learned, and I think it might be true for others too, is that what you're really training is your mind. Mine definitely kept telling me "oh no, you've never been a runner, you can't do this"! Once I realised that I could tell my mind to shut up and my body just to get on with it! Admittedly sometimes there are days when your body just won't play ball, but you can do it and you will. Just keep going and don't let your subconscious sabotage you - it may take a few tries but you will definitely get there smile

UmBongo Fri 17-May-13 21:46:55

I hope the pizza was good smells I am lucky in that it is not yet raining here and I have been and done tonights run.

And YES! In my 25 minutes I have finally broken the barrier and managed 2.06 miles tonight before she said I could stop. According to Map my run I am going 4.9 mph. That sounds not much faster than a walk! But I promise I am running! I will have to walk the route on a rest day and see how long it takes me! (Probably less time than running but hey ho!)

smellsofsick Fri 17-May-13 22:24:47

Good work umbongo! What app are you guys using? I'm just listening to the podcast at the mo but I feel guilty when Laura tells me to run and I'm too busy trying to hitch my trousers up.

OhThisIsJustGrape Sat 18-May-13 11:47:24

Smells I'm using Map My Run, I just have it running in the background whilst listening to the podcast. I've got it set to whittle on at me every 4 minutes about how fast I'm going etc, I quite like it and it tells me how many calories I've burned which is no way near enough at the moment

I think I went too fast yesterday, all my splits were 8.20mins/km or less which given I was only doing W2R2 so mostly walking I think that was too speedy.

Really feeling it today sad. I ache all over, particularly in my back and my knees really aren't all that great. In fact I said to DH last night that the only thing that is going to prevent me keeping this up is my knees which will be a real shame as I'm enjoying running so much. I had a long chat with my DSis the other day (accomplished runner, she does around 50km/week) and she said to continue running through it and my knees will eventually get better. I can cope with the pain but what I'm really concerned about is if I'm actually damaging my knees. Is knee pain common to begin with? I have aching muscles all over so is it just a part of that or am I actually injured?

jchocchip Sat 18-May-13 12:12:18

Good call smells
sounds far too fast grape about 12 mins per km is my top speed but I'm quite happy with 14. I'm still running and happier to go at a pace I can sustain for a long time... Your threshold pace is probably faster than mine as I am still rather heavy smile but speed isn't everything, running slower and enjoying it is the way to go for me - will work on speed one day...
That said had a very wet slow run at parkrun this morning, glad I went - another one closer to my 50 t-shirt grin

OhThisIsJustGrape Sat 18-May-13 12:26:26

Right, I will slow it right down tomorrow then. It felt ok to be going at that speed but I'm sure that's why I'm suffering now and realistically I know I couldn't sustain it if I was running for more than 3 minutes at a time!

Slow and steady does it...

Well done Umbongo!

If you think it was too fast then it probably was OhThisIsJustGrape. You will find what suits you, but better not to be in pain for days afterwards! I can't remember the pace I used to run at while doing the c25k but remember a 30 min 5k is 6 min. Walking pace I'd expect about half that so you're faster than half way between the two. I used to get knee pain after I'd run but now get nothing so maybe or sister is right. They never hurt while I was running though and I have bought better trainers too though.

You must be faster than that to do your park run in 40something minutes jchocchip. At 12min/km you'd take an hour, so you're not doing yourself justice smile

We had 33 runners today and a course record of 16m17!!! I did a 25 min run after, didn't want to do too much as I have my race tomorrow but I haven't run since weds and that seemed too long to wait until tomorrow smile

Where have you gone pennygallops?

wizzler Sat 18-May-13 16:52:57

Ohthisisjustgrape I am no expert, but a friend at work said she almost gave up running as her knees were hurting so much, then she went to have her gait assessed and bought some shoes which took this into account and she has been fine ever since and ran a half marathon last week.

BIWI Sat 18-May-13 17:00:02

I'm always worried about the suggestion that you should run through pain - pain is there for a reason! Muscular pain is one thing - stiffness is a good thing, because it's about muscle fibres tearing and repairing themselves (which makes them stronger), but joint pain is more concerning, IMVHO, especially if it's so bad that you need to take painkillers.

Proper shoes/gait analysis will obviously help, as will increasing your overall levels of fitness. The other thing to consider would be taking a supplement.

BIWI Sat 18-May-13 17:01:35
BIWI Sat 18-May-13 17:04:41

BTW - osteopath has told me 'no running' until pain in my shins is sorted sad

Thankfully it's not shin splints, but if I don't get them treated, it will be! She did some work on the muscles where they attack to the shin bone, which was really painful. I'm seeing her again on Monday and we'll see how everything is then.

In the meantime she has suggested cycling, so when I went to the gym yesterday I did 10 minutes/5K on the fixed bike. My goodness it was boring! I don't have a bike, though, so can't go out on one, which would obviously be much more interesting.

OhThisIsJustGrape Sat 18-May-13 18:25:25

BIWI I agree and don't feel altogether comfortable running through the pain but don't want to give up either. My sister recommended taking glucosamine (sp?) so I'm going to get some, might not help but can't do any harm.

I was trying to hold off getting my gait assessed until I was fairly sure that I could cope with running (exercise not my strongest point!) but even after only a week I don't want to stop so I'm going to find a running shop in my nearest city and go there next weekend.

I am wearing decent trainers now but I know if they don't suit my gait then I may as well be in Primark ones grin

OhThisIsJustGrape Sat 18-May-13 19:31:37

Just found somewhere closer that I can have my gait assessed and I could go tomorrow morning.

What do I wear? Running gear or anything as long as they can see my feet clearly? Trainers or bare feet? Help!

I just went in normal clothes but I was shopping for other things too. I just ran on treadmill in my old trainers and then each of the ones I tried.

melliebobs Sat 18-May-13 19:35:07

I'd take the trainers uve already got so they can see how they've worn in. I had it done again earlier this week. I just made sure I ha a sports bra on and wore tshirt n trakkie bottoms. Just had to roll them up so they could see my ankle smile

Just got to say that what I've ended up with aren't right at all and I'm so glad sweatshop have a 30 day returns policy grin

travellingwilbury Sat 18-May-13 19:38:20

What have you all done to me ?

I went to the gym today to go on the cross trainer ( this is weird enough , I have only been going since Feb )
But I thought " I will just warm up a bit on the treadmill first "

I then find myself bloody running and doing Wk 4 r3 which means that I have to start Wk 5 on mn

travellingwilbury Sat 18-May-13 19:43:13

Stupid sodding phone .

What I was trying to say is how the buggery am i going to run for 20 whole minutes this time next week ?

dementedma Sat 18-May-13 19:54:11

Did nothing today. After two crap runs, legs sore, exhausted I have given it a miss. Went to bed at 4pm and slept like a log for two hours.
Think I've been overdoing things.
Hope I can get back into it

This thread is not accepting new messages.