Couch to 5K- the first day of the rest of your life :)

(1000 Posts)

Come and join us if you're thinking about starting, have started or have finished and are loving running! Lots of support, advice and general cheering on for everyone. Find the old thread here.

There is a thread somewhere Hhmmmm! <scuttles off to locate it>

Got it!

sugar thread

Hhhmmmmm Thu 04-Apr-13 21:56:43

Ooh lovely will check it out! Thanks fromheretomaternity

rusmum Thu 04-Apr-13 22:05:25

Week 4 run 2 today almost killed me!!!!!! blush Should I have started further back? Cinnamon? What u think envy
I had done a shred session and 2 hour dog walk already though q

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Fri 05-Apr-13 10:13:01

You sound as though you're pushing yourself quite hard rusmum - especially if you're shredding as well. I think personally I'd start further back, maybe at week 2 - it still doesn't take long before you're running decent lengths of time but it paces you really well. I don't think it's meant to almost kill you! Let us know how you get on smile

If you managed week 4 run 1 ok then I think it may be what you'd done already that day or perhaps that you tried to go a bit quick? I'd give run 3 a go in a day or so and see how that goes before you decide.

Agree with cinnamon rusmum, I think the Shred is pretty intense so I've decided not to do it on a running day. Perhaps have another go at a week 4 run on a day you haven't been so active as the last time. smile

JH1967 Sat 06-Apr-13 09:50:24

Finished week one.All ok and DD now coming along too grin

Well done JH1967!

Very excited to be scanner at parkrun today grin we had 36 runners. Still not running myself but hoping to have a slow jog tomorrow morning, fingers crossed!

BIWI Sat 06-Apr-13 11:56:23

How is it feeling now, cinnamon? Don't go running if you're not properly better!

My shins were still a bit tender, so I didn't go for my run yesterday, and I'm considering delaying it until tomorrow as well. I went to the running shop and had a chat with them. Took my shoes/insoles with me, but they didn't even consider/ask me to put them on/run with them hmm. Advice was to rest, or to massage muscles, to stretch well - or to go to a physio.

(And to continue to run on softer surfaces, which I have done for the last couple of weeks)

At what point do I decide that this is a problem that means I have to stop running as opposed to just running when I feel OK? It's not so painful that I have to take any anti-inflammatories, just something that I'm aware of, IYSWIM.

I'm walking without a limp but it's still painful at times. Not taking painkillers now and it's definitely on the mend. Don't worry I won't go if I don't feel up to it, don't want another couple of days like Thurs and Fri!

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Sat 06-Apr-13 19:03:40

You're all a bit quiet today! Have just been out - it's so nice to be able to run without a fleece hat and gloves and a scarf round my nose and mouth! The sun shone, the sky was blue... grin and I inadvisedly thought I'd try the "stamina" podcast from Laura which nearly finished me off! However I made it, though I'm still not very fast - 5K in 35 min - I need to be faster than that...

rusmum Sat 06-Apr-13 21:36:57

Did w4 r3 better than last one slowed down a little. But sill hard legs were killing! Going to do it again for good luck before moving on. Covered 2.78 miles, that about right? I forget lol sad

That's bloody good for week 4!! 5k is 3.1 miles grin

UmBongo Sat 06-Apr-13 23:32:52

Hello Cinnamon! I'm back! Plantar fasciatus has gone - and hopefully stays gone. I am starting week one for the third time. I got to w5r3 the first time, then sore ankle and dd happened. Then I got to w3 ish and the sore foot struck. I am running on grass this time so hopefully it will be better.

This time I have to get to the end cos I have entered the Race for Life in June.

UmBongo Sat 06-Apr-13 23:33:28

Sorry, forgot to say w1r2 done tonight.

Debs75 Sun 07-Apr-13 13:41:36

So after about 4 weeks I have finally done with week one. I will be starting with week two sometime this week. Will probably be Friday as I am sooo busy this week with training, college and work. Had a sneaky 1min30sec run today and it was hard but I need to crank things up a bit.
Took the pooch with me last week and nearly killed her so back to running on my own.
I am pleased that my asthma seems to be coping with this extra exercise. My thighs and calves don't like it so much though.

Welcome back UmBongo, glad to hear you've sorted your foot problems smile

Well done Debs75! My dog doesn't come with me anymore since I was pulling her most of the way!

jchocchip Mon 08-Apr-13 08:43:23

Found you all again! Had a good week went out Monday, swam Thursday, parkrun Saturday and cycled Sunday, though my foot is hurting again sad

I have the slow record nurse My parkrun pb is only 46 minutes, but I keep plodding along and will break 45 minutes soon! Hopefully before I get my 50 shirt I will lose some more weight and speed up grin

Hhhmmmmm Mon 08-Apr-13 19:06:40

Hello all, started week six again today and just ran slower all the way through, not giving myself a hard time that I wasn't going faster! Feel better for it; so thanks for advice smile

That's great Hhhmmmmm!

No running again for me sad

BIWI Mon 08-Apr-13 19:45:18

Nor me, cinnamon. Shins are much better, but still not perfect. And I have too much on tomorrow to go, so it will be Wednesday at the earliest before I can go again.

rusmum Mon 08-Apr-13 21:13:08

Managed week 4 ok, yay bit slower but calorie burn was rubbish!!! Only 270

UmBongo Mon 08-Apr-13 22:24:23

Sorry your leg is still playing up cinnamon. I have just finished week 1 and am looking forward to seeing how far through the plan I get this time! I am also looking forward to upping the running a bit cos it's bloody COLD.

How do you work out calorie burn rusmum?

rusmum Tue 09-Apr-13 07:08:11

Heart rate monitor un bongo.

This thread is not accepting new messages.