C25k - just did my first run!!!

(657 Posts)
flossyfloo Sun 03-Mar-13 19:16:35

I can't believe I managed to do it! I am very unfit and about 3 stone overweight. But I did it grin

Just wanted to share with someone as I'm very proud of myself at the moment blush

HunterWellies Sun 26-May-13 08:46:46

Sorry! Once you've done a block run, interval runs seem harder somehow.

The trick to block runs is to find the right pace and stick to it. By the end of week 7 I had done that and it's been great since then.

I still haven't graduated btw but I'm really settling into my routine of three half hour running sessions per week. This is just what I wanted from c25k. A free exercise programme that fits into my schedule with a toddler and a newborn.

I used to hate running. It's amazing what I will do for half an hour's peace and quiet now grin

ilikeyoursleeves Sun 26-May-13 21:01:53

Hi all do you have space for another? I've only just started and I'm a complete novice having only ran once in my life around 10 years ago. Back then I had gone out with my dh who was an avid runner and he made me run nonstop and I honestly thought my lungs were going to implode!!!

So I'm doing it properly this time smile I'd read about c25k online and a few friends have raved about it, so started in last week and today it was w2r1 and I'm really enjoying it! Started off on a big hill though today and nearly passed out at the top (hill started exactly after my 5 min warm up, typical!) but got through the run and felt great afterwards.

Onwards and upwards!!!

wibblyjelly Mon 27-May-13 09:36:08

The more the merrier I love

Just back from week 6 run 2. Can't believe I'm more than halfway through grin

ItsNotUnusualToBe Mon 27-May-13 13:38:05

I think running is now firmly linked to my emotional well being. Love it! W6 R3 22 minutes done this morning. Did 1.5 extra minutes at the end to take me to a landmark and to mentally prepare me for the next one which is 25 mins straight.

Cannot believe I will be able to do 25 minutes straight when 7 weeks ago one minute at a time was a challenge!

If I can do this, anyone can (medical issues excepted). I am 41, five foot one, 13 stone, huge boobs, still breastfeeding, 4 kids, the youngest doesn't sleep through, work full time.

To paraphrase Nike- JFDI.

sparkle12mar08 Mon 27-May-13 20:08:39

Meh.

Just meh.

Dragged myself out tonight for w8 r1. Really, really didn't want to do it and was not committed. Have had three very tiring, full on days with the kids - brilliant trips out and great fun, but shattering. Lovely summers evening though so off I went (with bad grace!). Turned a corner onto the main route and bam! Straight into a headwind so strong it actually pushed me about on my feet. It took every fibre of my being not to turn around and go straight home. Wind dropped after about another half mile or so but by then my pace was stuffed and my legs buggered. So I just dropped it right down and decided to plod it out. Phone then died about half way home, so I have no idea how I did overall time wise.

I am not full of the joys of spring.

wine Lots of wine

Theyoniwayisnorthwards Tue 28-May-13 23:19:14

Have had to go BACK a week as have really struggled since my week off/dodgy hip. Repeating week 4 now when I should be cracking into week 6, but at least it feels good again. Remotivated! grin

wibblyjelly Thu 30-May-13 21:18:16

Week 6 completed! Can't believe how much I've achieved. I saw some friends today, and they commented that I looked slimmer. If that's not more motivation to continue, I don't know what is smile

viewwitharoom Fri 31-May-13 05:52:52

hello again, I completed w8 r3 last night. The 3 runs a weeks is turning into 3 over 10 days but I am plugging on. Actually enjoyed it yesterday, lovely evening up here and much easier than run 2 when I really struggled to finish. Apart from a demonstration of running from a couple of hares there was just me and the dog! Am determined to get one w9 done over the weekend. Really just need to get sorted for running after week 9 as I want to keep going and not just let it fizzle out (like I did last year...)

wibblyjelly Fri 31-May-13 10:34:24

Keep going view we won't let you fizzle out smile

FoundAChopinLizt Fri 31-May-13 17:03:19

Hi all

Back from holiday today, did wk7 runs 1 and 2, despite a lot of partying with family.

5k is in less than a month, but confident I will run it all now.

NoBusinessLikeSnowBusiness Sun 02-Jun-13 00:25:19

Found I only graduated a week and a half before my 5k race and I was fine. You will be too.

Well done to all the 10kers. I've vaguely got that in my sights as a target and am toying with signing up for one in Oct - should give me enough time grin.

I've done a few 5.4ish ks recently and was hoping to do parkrun this morning but was foiled at the last minute as I was staying with my mum and she overslept just before a funeral so I had to give her an emergency lift to it just before 9. I went out for a solo run anyway round a road I used to go horse riding along back in the day so that was good.

NoBusinessLikeSnowBusiness Sun 02-Jun-13 00:29:44

Oops. Just realised the 10k thing was from another thread. D'oh!

wibblyjelly Sun 02-Jun-13 10:29:02

Morning all. Just back from week 7 run 1. I felt OK at the end of the run, so decided to carry on running. I've just run for 30 minutes non stop, covering 3.6 km! So proud of myselfgrin Now just have to up to the 5k so I can graduate!!!

sparkle12mar08 Sun 02-Jun-13 12:34:59

Afternoon! I think I can consider myself graduated grin Just back from my first run in a week what with half term and everything. Did 5.7km in 38 mins (33m 16s for the 5km). I really would like to get that down to the 30mins but I also want to extend my distances as well. Might play around with a schedule for a few days 5k training and a few days distance stuff. Mix it up a bit to keep it interesting. Can't believe I've been running for 8 weeks now, feels good!

wibblyjelly Sun 02-Jun-13 13:13:41

Congratulations Sparkle, that's brilliant! How did you go about increasing your distance, as that's my next challenge :-)

sparkle12mar08 Sun 02-Jun-13 13:48:31

It's just what I can run in the time really, I haven't worked at any real endurance stuff yet. I found that in the w6 20 min run that I was on course for covering the 5k in 30 mins more or less, but of course as the time creeps up pace tends to slow, so when I've done the 30min runs so far I covered a bit less than 5k. But I felt as if I could do more distance so I mapped a really convenient and pretty countryside run for that distance, and it takes me about 33-35mins. For the future I think I'm going to continue with the Zenlabs 10k app, although I've had a number of crashes with their 5k one, so I may end up making it up myself!

wibblyjelly Sun 02-Jun-13 14:04:11

My next run I'll be attempting without Laura, just my own music and a stop watch. I'm determinee to get to the 5k. I've promised dh and I an Indian takeaway the day I run 5k smile

sparkle12mar08 Sun 02-Jun-13 14:48:48

In terms of how to increase pace though, I'm in two minds. I used the jogfm site to make myself a list of 180bpm songs to run to, and whilst it's fast, it means I can shorten my stride and it's not actually a huge effort to run at. That helps with increasing speedy foot movement and placement, which in turn help you cover the ground faster, i.e. increasing the distance you can run in a given time. But I find it tough to start straight at that cadence. So some days I just play whatever music I like and let my feet find their own rhythm. When I do that my overall pace is a little bit slower and my stride length longer, but I can go for a bit longer too, which means I cover more distance in total.

I think it's a balance of the two - increasing the speed at which you can move your feet with a short stride length, and then gently lengthening the stride length whilst maintaining the speed.

wibblyjelly Sun 02-Jun-13 15:32:29

Will give it a go, I'm really looking forward to my next run.

sparkle12mar08 Tue 04-Jun-13 10:06:44

5.75km in 38mins. Fabulous spring morning overlooking the fields and pathways. Highlight of my day, and probably week? - Being cheered and clapped by two sweet little boys in their garden as I passed their house on my home straight gringringrin

Theas18 Tue 04-Jun-13 11:28:52

dipping a toe in the water here. Fat , unfit not sure it I " want" to run but need to so something.

Started a partial day 1 yesterday- 3mins running instead of 8 LOL I know but it was lunch time at work and I couldn't go back wringing wet and dead.

Today a bit achy. Will walk today if time.

wibblyjelly Tue 04-Jun-13 12:02:20

First run tonight without Laura. Will see how far I go with just my own music to cheer me along. Do you graduate once you've run 5k once, or do you need to do it a couple of times?

sparkle12mar08 Tue 04-Jun-13 13:32:00

We were all that person when we started Theas18, honestly. I find a really hot bath helps my muscles enormously when I feel shattered from a run, but eventually it does become self sustaining. You know you can do 3, 5, 8 mins, and you want to do a little bit more. And all of a sudden you're there doing 20mins non stop and you think "Wow, maybe I really can do this afterall", and bam, you're doing 5km and more because you want to and it feels good! I never thought I'd reach that point of mental equilibrium, I really didn't, but I have and I'm loving it!

mashpot Tue 04-Jun-13 14:02:14

Hi, could you tolerate a newbie (actually not started yet!) question here? I have procrastinated no end about starting C25K and now the weather is nice I have to start. I understand I need to download the training programme onto my iPhone(?) and then do I need one of those armband things to put my phone in, or do you just run along holding your phone?

I know, this is trivial, but it is the last thing that I am procrastinating about. Then I just need to actually download the app or whatever...

TIA

sparkle12mar08 Tue 04-Jun-13 14:31:55

There are lots of apps to choose from so have a look and see which you like best. As for holding it, the Style & Beauty ladies will slaughter me for it, but I run with an old bum bag we have! I put my phone and keys in and a spare fiver. I'm looking at getting one of those arm thingies and some proper running gear though, so maybe they'll forgive me wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now