What kind of exercise after giving birth?

(2 Posts)
spekulatius Mon 18-Feb-13 21:00:05

My DD is 13 weeks old and I really need to loose some weight. Worst part is most of the weight I didn't put on during pregnancy but after. Sitting on the sofa, breastfeeding and eating. So I really need to do something, obviously about the eating but also some form of exercise. Was wondering what would be a good form exercise program?

BTW I'm not usually very fit. Used to do Davina Mcolls dvd but that's over 2 years ago and almost killed me. Also don't have. a great pelvic floor at the moment, had episiotomy and forceps delivery. Waiting to go back to hospital to have overgranulating tissue removed from episiotomy site.

Baby doesn't have a nap in the day (though I keep trying) and in the last few weeks has gone back to feeding constantly, 20 minutes break max. Any suggestions for a quick, effective workout?

gonoright Tue 19-Feb-13 10:46:34

This might be a bit obvious but, cut yourself some slack lady. Breast feeding is a serious use of resources and if your darling doesn't have a nap you are probably knackered yourself. What about creating a post lunch routine where you pop her in the pram and go for a 20 to 30 min walk? You both get fresh air, great for making babies sleep, and you get to leave the house for a while and stretch your legs. Regular walking is good for toning buns and thighs and if you put enough effort in, going up hills etc, you can improve your stamina. I really wouldn't go hell for leather though as you may end up injuring yourself and that would be a bummer. The sun is coming out, slap on your sun protection and get some Vit D. If you wear your work out gear as you walk you'll feel virtuous.
P.S I loved breast feeding but it did make me really hungry. Eventually you'll loose that post baby weight, but she loves her mum all cuddley and I recall that my big tummie was a great place to rest my baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now