First triathlon - goal is to finish!

(50 Posts)
eightytwenty Sat 16-Feb-13 23:34:04

I've decided to do a triathlon this year - either a novice event (may), or a women's only(July) or both.

Anyone else signed up or thinking of signing up to one?

I am new to this getting fit lark. I started swim training 18 months ago, and running/ spinning 3 months ago. I am still overweight, but am getting fitter and have (almost) lost 3 stone this year. I can now do all components but haven't started 'brick' training, and need to work on speed as slow in all areas!

Thistledew Wed 03-Jul-13 16:57:43

Does anyone on this thread own their own wetsuit? If so, what make do you have?

I went open water swimming for the first time last week, which was glorious. The lake where I went has suits to hire, with money off at the shop if you buy one after. I tried what I thought was the entry level suit from Blueseventy, but it is very similar in design to their top of range one, which was in fact what I tried! I'm not sure I can really justify over £400 for a wetsuit, but would like to know what the real difference is between the top of range and bottom of range.

Thistledew Sat 06-Jul-13 12:40:57

So, I am now committed!

I have entered the women-only triathlon on 14 July at Eaton Dorney!

Only one week to go.

I have a wetsuit and have a tri suit on order.

For people who have done this before- do you wear a race belt or pin your number?

I am struggling a bit with injuries as my crash last week seems to have slightly aggravated the injuries I got in my crash in January (I must try to stop doing this), so I'm going to focus on swimming for the next few days and will taper from Wednesday.

CardiCorgi Tue 09-Jul-13 12:50:37

Can I join in? I've done the odd triathlon before but I thought I would enter a sprint at the end of this month to push me a bit more.

I have a blue-seventy wetsuit and it seems fine. It's not the super-duper one that my sister has, but I'm not an ironman, so I think it is ok.

My number goes on a race-belt but you can just buy a thick bit of elastic and put it on that. It makes things easier if you can have it on your back for the bike and then just swivel it round your body for the run.

Thistledew Tue 09-Jul-13 21:20:08

Hi CardiCorgi!

Of course you can join. It's great to have people with experience to pick up tips from.

Thanks for the replies to my questions. I splashed out (geddit?) on a very nice suit but got something of a bargain. It was last year's range that has now been discontinued, but I managed to buy what was a £400 suit for £245! I have heard stories about cheap suits chafing badly, but found that the pricy ones I tried did not chafe at all, even without wetsuit grease.

I also have a fancy new tri-suit, which all importantly matches the colour of my bike!wink I should at least look the part even if I don't perform it.

Does anyone have any tips about tapering my training? I had a hard cycle on Sunday, yesterday off, today a moderate cycle and a slightly shortened run. Tomorrow I want to do one final open water swim and the will have a short cycle home. I'm planing to take Thurs and Friday off, and then go for a very short but intense ride on Saturday, as it helps my asthma to have a good burst and a cough if I need it.

Does this sound sensible?

slalomsuki Wed 10-Jul-13 19:45:05

Well done ladies and good luck for your race this weekend.

My kids do triathlons and do do some training for them but it's still fun for them although the competitive parents sometimes take the fun element out of it.

I never realised how big triathlon was in the UK until recently and the event my club run gets "sold out" at least 6 months in advance.

CardiCorgi Thu 11-Jul-13 10:13:12

That taper sounds ok. I tend to do a very short brick (20 min bike, 10 min run) the day before a race as that seems to work for me.

How do you fit training round your family? I've started trying to get up at 6am to go for a run and my weekday bike ride is done on the turbo-trainer when the dc are in bed.

Tri has been entered: 600m open water swim, 20km bike (slightly hilly) and 6k run through the woods.

Thistledew Sat 13-Jul-13 23:58:30

Tomorrow's the day! I am really quite excited and can't get to sleep.

One last question - do most people carry a puncture repair kit? I normally carry a pack in my cycling jersey pocket but there isn't room in my tri suit so will have to find my seat bag in the morning. The cycle is four 5k laps so the furthest I would be from transition would be 2.5k.

Thistledew Sun 14-Jul-13 00:04:21

When is your race Corgi?

Training is not too difficult for me as I don't yet have DC. I do most of my cardio on the bike which I do cycling to work three days a week. DH cycles as well so we both go out with our cycle club on a Sunday morning. When we have DC, I can see us taking alternating weekends.

I am lucky that although I work full time I am freelance, so can sometimes run or swim during the day, but if not I either go early in the morning or at about 8 pm. I have noticed that training has cut into the time DH and I spend together recently.

Clure Sun 14-Jul-13 18:55:01

How did you get on Thistle?
I have been doing triathlons for about the last 7 years on and off, mainly sprint distance. I am doing a sprint in Ashford at the beginning of August. I have recently joined a triathlon swim session to try to improve my swimming as this is my weakest discipline. I did a brick session this morning to try to get used to that feeling of jelly lead legs when you get off the bike and start running!
I hired a Foor wetsuit for my first London Triathlon I then had the option to buy it which I did. Its not brilliant and could do with replacing it to be honest!

Cardi which triathlon are you entered for?

SusieSusieSheep Sun 14-Jul-13 18:56:19

Hey all, I am considering doing a triathlon at some point and was wondering how much training I need. The run is the bit I am most conformable doing, I did five half marathons around 2010-2012ish and my best time was 1:55. I don't own a bike and haven't cycled since I was a teenager but never found it difficult. The swim is my worst, as although I love swimming, I find front crawl extremely difficult because I can't quite master the breathing for more than a few lengths so I guess I'd have to do back stroke.

Do I sound like a disaster waiting to happen yet? If it's any help I don't care getting a truly awful time!

Thistledew Sun 14-Jul-13 19:34:39

Pretty pleased with today for a first effort! I came 28th out of 52 in my age category. It was hot apart from a stiff breeze- the first time in my life I have been grateful for a headwind.

I need to do some proper brick training as my legs really didn't want to work when I came off the bike and it wasn't until about the last km that I started running properly. The run was definitely my weakest discipline as I was 8th fastest on the bike!

Still, considering that I only ran my first 5k about a month ago I can't be too hard on myself.

The only question I now have - when's the next one? grin

Thistledew Sun 14-Jul-13 19:44:48

Hi Susie. Welcome.

You should definitely give tri a go, and as a strong runner you will have a real advantage.

You will need to work on your swimming. Backstroke will be no good I'm afraid as you need to be able to see where you are going and to keep an eye out for other swimmers. I ended up swimming more breast stroke that I had planned today as I found that it was hard to get in a rhythm with so many people to bump into, but as I was overtaking people who were doing crawl I wasn't too bothered.

Wrt the cycling, it depends how competitive you want to be. There were plenty of people going fairly slowly on the bike today so you could just sit and pedal. What I learnt was important today is to practice running immediately that you get off the bike, as it does take it out of your legs.

SusieSusieSheep Sun 14-Jul-13 19:54:49

Hello Thistle! And thanks for your advice.

Well, one point in defence of backstroke - the sprint triathlons in my area do the swimming in a pool with lanes so you can't swim into anyone. I think my next move is to look into acquiring a bike. What I really need is a very generous bike owning friend ;)

cq Sun 14-Jul-13 20:01:12

Hi all, can I join in? My son has just entered me for a tri in September! We're going to do it as a team - he'll do the swim, DH the cycle and I'll do a 10k run.

Have previously done a few sprint tris, and a couple of half marathons so mentally I know I can do it. Problem is I have completely slobbed over the deep dark winter months, think actually I was a bit depressed, and now have about 2 stone to shift to get myself back to decent fitness. I know that won't happen by September but I needed a goal to get me motivated.

So me and DS will be hitting the pool over the summer holidays to get him swim-fit, and I need to do lots of cross training as prone to plantar fasciitis so don't want to overdo the run training.

I'm stuck in a vicious circle - the PF is worse when I'm overweight, but running is the best thing for me to shift the weight - but too much running exacerbates the PF. Any other tips apart from not running too much?!

Well done Thistle - I live not far from Eton Dorney so may be there next year. I'm a bit hmm about open water swimming though - so far have done only pool-swim tris. Was it really green and slimy?

eightytwenty Sun 14-Jul-13 23:03:20

Well done thistle! Glad it went well.

Haven't checked this thread for a while but fab there are lots of joiners with varying levels of experience.

I've signed up to a sprint in September but am also suffering from plantar fasciitis so haven't been able to run since may (and running is my weakest suit). Waiting to see physio or podiatrist to hopefully get it fixed.

Meantime I've upped my swim training and am also increasing bike distances (@27 miles today). That said now my knee is niggling me. Being 40 is clearly the start of the slippery slope!

Not ever going to be fastest but still good to have something to aim for.

cq Mon 15-Jul-13 18:24:34

eightytwenty age is just a number grin

I did my first competitive 5k aged 41 and am fitter in my forties than I've ever been. Also ache more every morning confused.

Have you had your bike properly fitted? I was told my saddle was too low when I started to get knee pain, so I was over flexing at the top of the revolution. Put my saddle up and knees are much better. Then had to put the handlebars up too as too much pressure on my wrists. And I can barely touch the ground but ok as long as I keep moving!

I'm certainly never going to be the fastest but as long as I'm not the lastest I don't care.

SusieSusieSheep Mon 15-Jul-13 18:45:45

Hey cq, if losing weight and getting fit are major goals but you have foot problems then it sounds like you should spend as much time in the pool with your dh as you can so as not to exacerbate it. Great to have a goal, though, it's so easy to stay indoors when you don't have one.

eightytwenty Mon 15-Jul-13 20:40:37

Thanks cq. I will get that checked out.

I am also fitter than I've ever been (wake up call approaching 40), and I want to build on it. Just frustrating that minor yet annoying aches are troubling me.

CardiCorgi Tue 16-Jul-13 09:01:11

Well done Thistle! Regarding bricks, I try to do one once a week when I'm training, even if it's only a 10 minute run after a bike ride. The other thing that seemed to help a bit was changing down a few gears and really spinning my legs out for the last few minutes of the bike ride.

My tri is in 10 days. Clure, you almost certainly won't have heard of it as it's in Germany. I'm probably the odd one out as despite doing several sprint tris, I have never done one with a pool swim, it's all open (nice, clean but freezing cold) water round here. This is what I think of open water swims.

This morning I hauled myself out of bed at 6:15 to have a run. Actually, it's pretty nice out at that time of day, but I really need coffee now.

cq Wed 17-Jul-13 23:40:04

Susie - went swimming tonight with the kids - first swim in over a year. I was crap! But hey, I was doing it.

Biggest problem was my sodding swimcap which tore as I was putting it on. Hate the things but need one as I have shoulder length hair with layers which flop over my face if I don't wear one.

Anyone recommend a brand of swim hat that will fit a large head with lots of thick hair?

cq Wed 17-Jul-13 23:41:07

Cardicorgi - love that link btw - had to share with a friend who has exactly that issue with open water swims!

SusieSusieSheep Sat 20-Jul-13 08:09:01

Sorry cq I don't wear caps so I'm not sure, other than Speedo are obviously a good, known brand but I really don't have a clue. I would say tie it up but I guess that's probably already occurred to you!

CardiCorgi Tue 23-Jul-13 13:20:50

I'm glad you liked the seal, I had nightmares before my first triathlon; I kept thinking of all of the things that might be lurking in the depths of the water ready to come out and get me. This was in a 500m long gravel pit...

Well it looks as though I'm not going to be able to wear my wetsuit as the water is too warm in the lake. I bet that further out it will be cold enough. Anyway, it's not such a bad thing as I've not had time to practice swimming in it and I've got plenty of lard to keep me afloat.

Regarding hats, I'm using a freebie from a race, but if you look on Wiggle, the Zoggs hats get decent reviews. So far I've been happy with all Zoggs kit I have tried (goggles and maternity swim suit). There is no way I can swim without a cap, far too much hair everywhere.

SusieSusieSheep Sun 28-Jul-13 11:08:45

Went for my first bike ride since childhood today on MIL's mountain bike and it went OK. I think I did about 10k but think I could do a lot more next time, especially if I chose a less hilly route. This would be the bike I would do the triathlon on, and I know I'll look like an idiot using a mountain bike but oh well.

eightytwenty Sun 28-Jul-13 21:35:43

Susie - at the novice tri I did loads of people had hybrids and mountain bikes. You'll be fine and no one will judge you.

I spent Saturday looking at road bikes (have got a 7 gear urban bike, which I love but it doesn't have enough gears for up or down hills, and isn't really designed for the 20-30 mile routes which I'm now doing.

Have looked at a few entry levels - but someone has now suggested a cyclo cross so am confused! Will spend more time researching.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now